Theories about Orcs

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Midnight_Carnival

Theories about Orcs

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

I don't remeber who it was, but somone had this theory that their size was controlled by chromosomes a while back. I don't know why, since normal genetics could easilly account for differences in size, but anyway.
This had no effect on storylines or unit graphics in Wesnoth, it was moderately intersting for a while I suppose :whistle:

I would like to hear more theories about Orcs, preferably those not directly effecting anything in Wesnoth, just for the hell of it.

Here is mine: Many Orcs (not all, they are quite a diverse species after all) have this ability.
I am not sure if it is a supernatural ability they are born with or if it is a purely physical talent or if it is something they learn (their nature makes the last one seem a little unlikely).
Orcs can read muscle memory on touch. If an Orc were to grasp a human by the arm, the Orc could tell what kind of training the human had done and for how long, what physical state the human was in, including certian underlying health issues, and other things.
Orcs use this ability to improve their fighting but lack the inclination to put it to other uses such as healing. It is also very useful for interogating caputred enemeis (another favorite passtime of Orcs), they can feel weaknesses and senstive areas.

Side note: although they can be a little rough and heavy handed, Orcs give really good massages. Oh, and they prefer bear grease to scented oils which they claim give them a headache. In places where Orcs live... as harmoniously with humans and Dwarves as it is possible for Orcs to live with other races - or for that matter anybody including other Orcs - they often open Orcish Baths where you get virourously rubbed down by a big scary and heavilly muscled Orcish former warrior who tells you stuff like "Aaargh! yer back mucles are too tense, you need to not worry about work so much, go and fight, it loosten you up beeg!" and a small sneaky Orc goes through your pockets in the "secure" clothing locker. After it is finished the Orcs empty a bucket of cold water over you and hand you a (better not to ask which) animal skin to use as a towel.

Despite the reservations most races/species have about getting naked around Orcs and having them rub often rancid bear fat all over your body, many will pay good money to get a good ol' Orcish rub-down. Simply becasue Orcs are so naturally talented at this :mrgreen:

What are your theories about Orcs?
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Eagle_11

Re: Theories about Orcs

Post by Eagle_11 »

You mean theories like:
Humans are Orcs gone wrong, yet humans see orcs exactly the way as such in turn(as primitive underhumans), for Orcs all the civilization of human is excess beyond the most primal as theyr entire society is built around strength and physical capability, its all like an philosophical re-enacment of the ancient clash between the Neanderthal and ancestors of our current common human species based on their evolutional differences.
Midnight_Carnival

Re: Theories about Orcs

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Yeah, if you like.

I was actually going to use something similar to the whole neanderthal concept in one of my campaings (the Imperial Saurain one).
Personally I don't by that, apart from minor physical differences, Neanderthal man was different to us. The documentary Walking With Cavemen suggested that there was a vast difference: we have an imagination, N man did not. I'm sorry, I do not know how they derived that from looking at fossils they might well say that "hmm, yes, we haven't found any art" but 1) that is not longer correct and 2) what about story telling? that can be something which definately points to having a strong and vivid imagination and yet does not leave material evidence behind.
I also don't buy the "clash" bit. Is there a "clash" between bilbies and rabbits in Austrailia?
But the rest of what you say seems to make good sense, I like the notion that humans are a mutant form of Orc and not the other way round.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.