[mainline] Soulless is Worthless

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Ranger

[mainline] Soulless is Worthless

Post by Ranger »

Does anyone else think these guys are the worst undead unit? 1st lvl with 28hp without good res, 4mp and not that impressive attack... They are not even worth their 1 upkeep.

I dont see any problems with buffing them a bit in terms of health or resistances(not that it needs more damage) to make them more akin proper 1lvl melee unit.
Calling a spear a spoon and then saying "our spoons are different, WINR," is kind of unsatisfying, isn't it?
Dugi

Re: [mainline] Soulless is crap

Post by Dugi »

Well, he has plague and if proper support lets him kill a unit...
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

His resistance against impact looks better than Skeleton have. in addition, only Soulless deals impact damage.
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

Xudo wrote:His resistance against impact looks better than Skeleton have. in addition, only Soulless deals impact damage.
Wrong, if you need impact damage you can always recruit more WC's.
Dugi wrote:Well, he has plague and if proper support lets him kill a unit...
Wait, dont tell me... you get a WC? :D
:roll: How is it different from when a random WC kills a unit?
Calling a spear a spoon and then saying "our spoons are different, WINR," is kind of unsatisfying, isn't it?
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Souless are good, not for recruiting or recalling, but for the heal of a level up, and the 3rd chance to kill and create a WC. They are a nice little bonus in a scenario.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Thinking about this today, it could be interesting is souless had berserk, like a proper zombie should. When you think of zombies they either kill or die, they are relentless.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Interesting idea, but then he would be the terror of dark adepts. Think about it: kill a unit for nothing, get one for free.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: [mainline] Soulless is Worthless

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

You guys have misunderstood the Soulless.
In Ranger's post: he says that individually, the unit sucks. His claim is true.
However, most campaigns feature the Soulless as a 'horde' unit. They attack a single unit or a small group of units in packs and manage to kill, losing some of their members (but gaining new ones as well). This is the behavior of zombies and the Soulless is a kind of 'zombie' unit.

Then again, I think the Soulless would be better if he had {WEAPON_SPECIAL_PLAGUE_TYPE (Soulless)} instead of the default.
Last edited by Lord-Knightmare on July 22nd, 2014, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: I think the Soulles would be better if he {WEAPON_SPECIAL_PLAGUE_TYPE (Soulless)} instead of the default.
Woah! :mrgreen:

So are Soullesses really more skilled than a Necromancer in raising zombies? :twisted:

(Necromancer has "plague - walking corpse" on his staff attack) :eng:
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

Paulomat4 wrote:Interesting idea, but then he would be the terror of dark adepts. Think about it: kill a unit for nothing, get one for free.
I still like his idea: if Soulless had a weaker attack, such that would get him killed 90% times he attacks an average 1lvl fighter, and berserk, than he would be no more a worthless piece of undead meat. :D
Joking, ofc. He would still be a worthless piece of undead meat but he would get a chance of dying knowing that he killed an enemy mage and left a next generation of zombies. :D
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The topic at the top of this section titled “[MUST-READ] About the Ideas Forum” wrote:Default multiplayer is balanced! The default multiplayer era (consisting of Loyalists, Rebels, Northerners, Knalgans, Drakes, and Undead) is almost perfectly balanced. Any suggestions that want to change this balance are almost guaranteed to be instantly shot down. If you attempt such a suggestion, you had better provide thorough research.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Tzaot

Post by Tzaot »

What if when you kill a soulless the heads falls off and turns into a flying... no? Right, maybe what if the soulless get a sort of aura that only applys on walking corpses and increases their walking range by 1 field, as in "rampaging horde around that boss zombie". I mean they are walking dead, they form hordes that travel over the lands. I think it would fit.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

shadowm wrote:
The topic at the top of this section titled “[MUST-READ] About the Ideas Forum” wrote:Default multiplayer is balanced! The default multiplayer era (consisting of Loyalists, Rebels, Northerners, Knalgans, Drakes, and Undead) is almost perfectly balanced. Any suggestions that want to change this balance are almost guaranteed to be instantly shot down. If you attempt such a suggestion, you had better provide thorough research.
Ech guys, why you wont start treat default wesnoth era (main era) same as other addons, its have own authors which dont need to implement your ideas in main era. From this statement, it is clear that you have little chance for any changes in main era.

You should just learn how to make own addons, units codes and animations, then you wont have to ask for anything to change in main era (they wont have to say "no" all the time, and you wont have to be sad that they didnt like your ideas), just implement it by your own.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Swiss_Army_Cheese

Post by Swiss_Army_Cheese »

Crow_T wrote:Thinking about this today, it could be interesting is souless had berserk, like a proper zombie should. When you think of zombies they either kill or die, they are relentless.
It would be illogical for Souless to have berserk, soulless are one of the few undead units that wear t-shirts. :)