[mainline] Adding 'feeding' to Soulless

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Aldarisvet
Translator

[mainline] Adding 'feeding' to Soulless

Post by Aldarisvet »

This idea is not new (I used search) but was spoken just a couple of times in 2008-2009.
I do not suggest feeding for Walking Corpse, but only for Soulless.
So this would not affect game balance in any case. Getting upgraded Soulless from Walking Corpse in multiplayer is very rare case, and killing with him lot of units is almost impossible. This concerns only campaigns.

Aside from the fact that zombies are 'really' feeding in fiction the main 'pro' reason for me is this:
In compaigns zombies even upgraded to soulless are too weak units that by no chance worth recalling. They just do not worth 20 gold. Soulless-s are too weak even for level1 unit.
That make absoultely no sense to care about veteran zombies.
In my own campaign I had zombies with even 2-3 ALMAs and still they can be easely killed attacked by level1 units.
Somehow this ruining the pleasure of playing.
Or, for example, in Secrets of the Ancients I advanced one zombie bat to Soulless level. I really liked that bat and took care about it, because it is a rare unit in Wesnoth campaigns. But what... I just had to refuse to use this unit, its was too costly to recall it.
Last edited by Aldarisvet on January 27th, 2016, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
pauxlo

Re: [mainline] Adding 'feeding' to Soulless

Post by pauxlo »

When a soulless kills, the victim usually becomes a walking corpse. So there might not be anything to feed from?
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

pauxlo wrote:When a soulless kills, the victim usually becomes a walking corpse. So there might not be anything to feed from?
I do not see a problem there. It is too sophisticated matter, what happened with the soul when the body becomes zombie. Even level3 great hero would become helpless level0 zombie. Large enegry differential to feed, is not it?
Or do vampires do not feed from their victims given the fact that a victim can become a vampire too after being attacked?
The gameplay is more important than such scholasticism.
taptap

Post by taptap »

IftU offered the opportunity to level up zombies to ghouls instead of soulless. Together with the way zombies were created there, you could end with a named and well remembered unit still present as a well fed ghast later.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

taptap wrote:IftU offered the opportunity to level up zombies to ghouls instead of soulless. Together with the way zombies were created there, you could end with a named and well remembered unit still present as a well fed ghast later.
As I understood, this is outdated information after the IftU Reconstruction

I myself think that this was the right decision, because it was quite illogical for zombie to become totally another looking unit. Also I think that UMC should not intervene in core units logics for not confusing people. However, adding new level0 or high-level units for core units lines is that I found acceptable.

Also, how could you imagine a zombie bat to become a Ghoul? LoL!

However this is not about topic. What are real objections for adding feeding for Soulless? Again, Soulless is rare and almost a useless unit in campaigns. Lets make it more intresting.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Aldarisvet wrote:
taptap wrote:IftU offered the opportunity to level up zombies to ghouls instead of soulless. Together with the way zombies were created there, you could end with a named and well remembered unit still present as a well fed ghast later.
As I understood, this is outdated information after the IftU Reconstruction
That is a shame. I really liked it. Last time I played IftU I kept an elf, who died in Moon Valley around as really buff ghast. The name does so much for immersion. Obviously you can do what you want in your own campaign, the problem with feeding on a recallable L1 is that even with feeding it probably will not be worth it, since you start with a pretty brittle unit. And even if you recall it, you will likely get more HP out of rapid L1 AMLA than feeding. But why would you recall a soulless over and over for 20 to even give it the chance for serious feeding - unless it is especially buff like a dead tree (imagine feeding on that) or offers a movement type otherwise not available to you. The one SP L1 capped unit, that I really did like and recall, is Dead Water's merfolk brawler.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

taptap wrote: even with feeding it probably will not be worth it...
- unless it .... offers a movement type otherwise not available to you. The one SP L1 capped unit, that I really did like and recall, is Dead Water's merfolk brawler.
I agree that even with feeding level1 zombie is quite weak. But it is not a reason lo left him weaker.

Also, as you mentioned, about movement type,
dead bat can fly, dead merfolk can swim, dead saurian can move though the swamp fast and have a good defence, and dead goblin can move through the hills fast.

In fact all this are different type of units, it is a whole faction! Never seen a campaign where a hero could recruit all this variety from his list. Hmmm possibly it is a good idea for a mainline multiplayer scenario!

I am dreaming about 60 hp zombie bat!