idea?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
enclave

idea?

Post by enclave »

I noticed most experienced players use random races, but most of them have preferable race.. some of them just use random race to make a surprise on enemy..

Why not to make the chosen race hidden to others? it would let players chose what they like, instead of random..

a bad idea?
What doesn't kill us makes us stronger!
enclave

Post by enclave »

and btw.. was looking into creating eras..
I found that random leader for loyalists doesnt have white mage..
am i wrong?
If not, then why? its strange...
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The whole advantage of random is that your enemy does not know what to prepare for. The advantage of choosing is that you get to pick your race, and have whatever advantages come form that.

If you use the search funtion, I bet you could find a dozen or so threads suggesting this.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Shrouded factions?
Already proposed (use search, though admittedly shrouded factions is not an intuitive phrase).

Regarding random faction leaders, the main reason some can't be selected is due to their low HP (e.g. white mage) or too slow. If I'm not mistaken.
Take a breath.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

I believe the first topic has been discussed before. I can't remember off-hand what the outcome was. I personally think it would make sense to allow secret picking of leaders in fog/shroud games, but I'm not sure how much re-programming you would need to do this. (Also, if you're determined to cheat and see what your opponents are doing in a fog/shroud game, it's not too hard to do, no matter what safeguards are in place.)

Concerning the white mage question, I believe that certain units are excluded from the random leader lists because they are considered to put the player at a disadvantage as a leader . The necrophage is excluded from the random leader list in undead for a similar reason. I don't know what the exact reasoning was, but I think the general idea would be that experienced player picking a random leader were going "Oh no, not a white mage / necrophage" too often. The white mage and necrophage remain available as non-random leaders so that anyone who really wants these leaders can pick them if they want to.

Mounted units, on the other hand, are excluded from both the random and non-random lists because they are overpowered as leader units. I understand that their high MP allowance allowed them to grab villages early on in the game, and this was too much of an advantage.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

It has been proposed before; follow the link. I suggest any further discussion regarding shrouded factions be posted there.

Edit: I've added shrouded factions to the FPI wiki
Take a breath.
enclave

Post by enclave »

if it was proposed and still not implemented.. then thanks. whatever
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

I'm failing to understand why white mages are a disadvantage as leaders. As far as I'm concerned, the healing ability of the white mage is quite useful in an MP game!
TL

Post by TL »

Vulnerability is the big issue; having such low HP (and it used to be even lower, mind you) means you can't afford to move your white mage anywhere close to the battle without risking an instant loss, so their healing advantage is largely negated (wounded units could probably get to villages faster than they could get back to your leader's keep). Some of the random rebel leaders have HP that's almost as low as white mages', but at least they have 70% forest defense to provide them some measure of protection. Plus, at the time white mages were removed from the random leader list, they still used holy instead of the new arcane damage type, thus they had an attack that was relatively nerfed against most of the units in the game--but ridiculously powerful against undead.

Perhaps it may be time to broach the subject of re-adding white mages as random leader possibilities, now that they're slightly less vulnerable and their attack type is more generalized? I'm not a fan of fragile leaders, but I'd still probably prefer a white mage to a slayer or rogue, both available as random possibilities.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Velensk wrote:The whole advantage of random is that your enemy does not know what to prepare for. The advantage of choosing is that you get to pick your race, and have whatever advantages come form that.

If you use the search funtion, I bet you could find a dozen or so threads suggesting this.
I would state it in another way (rephrasing you):
The whole disadvantage of random is that you dont know what to prepare for, as u may get your hated race which could be useless on current map. The disadvantage of choosing is that your enemies know which race you are, and they have whatever advantages come from that.

If you are trying to look smart, i bet you could find dozen or so threads suggesting the same idea.
TL

Post by TL »

enclave wrote:I would state it in another way (rephrasing you):
The whole disadvantage of random is that you dont know what to prepare for, as u may get your hated race which could be useless on current map.
Been nice knowing you. :roll: The game's map developers are going to absolutely adore you for the assertion that the game's maps contain such greivous flaws as having entire factions be useless on them. Perhaps, since you are apparently the only one capable of perceiving these game-breaking problems in map design, you should bring up these issues separately so that they can be addressed rather than leaving the game with apparently broken maps. Play some games against competent opposition showing why some factions are "useless" on some maps and upload replays.

And why, if you know that these horribly unbalanced maps exist, would you ever possibly want to select random in the first place? Surely if a map is heavily weighted towards certain factions, the drawback of showing your faction choice before the game starts is far outweighed by the possiblity of drawing a useless random faction. If random is such a dangerous choice, then clearly random needs as much advantage as it can get--so why extend the one advantage of random to other faction choices as well?

The suggestion that "you don't know what to prepare for" is rather specious as well. What preparation? "Preparation" in this context largely refers to your first turn recruitment, at which time it's a moot point whether you chose random or not since you'll know what faction you have; it's what faction your enemy has that is relevant.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

enclave wrote:
Velensk wrote:The whole advantage of random is that your enemy does not know what to prepare for. The advantage of choosing is that you get to pick your race, and have whatever advantages come form that.

I would state it in another way (rephrasing you):
The whole disadvantage of random is that you dont know what to prepare for, as u may get your hated race which could be useless on current map. The disadvantage of choosing is that your enemies know which race you are, and they have whatever advantages come from that.

If you are trying to look smart, i bet you could find dozen or so threads suggesting the same idea.
You might stated it a diffrent way, but I wouldn't which is why I did not state it that way. Your way seems allot like saying that the glass is half empty when it is realy half full, except I beleive that my way is more accurate.

What do you mean don't know what faction to prepare for, does it take special preperation to play a faction or something?
If you are trying to look smart,
Then you are going about it the wrong way.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Not going anywhere constructive and not going to get included due to reasons stated in all the other threads.

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.