Team-color mod for the colorblind

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
megane
Art Contributor

Team-color mod for the colorblind

Post by megane »

There've been a couple mentions of possible ways to make Wesnoth more friendly to the colorblind; however, as far as I know there hasn't been any substantial progress thereon. So, I figured I might as well try some things.

AFAICT, there are two main areas in which Wesnoth uses exclusively color to denote information: team colors, and the movement orb. The orb I might deal with in a bit; right now I've fudged together an alternate team-colors.cfg file which will hopefully address some of the more common problems (according to the Fount of Knowledge and personal experience, red/green, blue/yellow, and blue/purple). I'm not colorblind myself, so anyone who is, please let me know if this is helpful, and what can be done to improve it (i.e. if any of the colors are still hard to distinguish, which, and what would make them easier to differentiate). By the way, the idea here is not to replace the standard colors, but to provide an option for those who have trouble with them.

However, it's clear that this is a stopgap measure: changing the colors will naturally be useless in the case of full colorblindness. As such, I was wondering if it's possible under the current code (or could reasonably become so) to define a completely different ellipse for various teams, so that they could be denoted by patterns, rather than colors.
Attachments
Left: proposed. Right: standard.
Left: proposed. Right: standard.
tcchanges.png (515 Bytes) Viewed 4680 times
All nine colors in use.  "Black" is hard to see on hills, but that's not my fault xD
All nine colors in use. "Black" is hard to see on hills, but that's not my fault xD
tctest.png (261.42 KiB) Viewed 4682 times
team-colors.cfg
If you'd like to try them out for yourself, this goes in wesnoth/data/core/
(8.43 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Team-color mod for the colorblind

Post by doofus-01 »

Looking at tcchanges.png, I would say top left & bottom center are an improvement (red and brown?) and so are top center & center left (pink and blue?). But center center & top right are too similar.

Everyone is a little different, so I can only speak for myself.

It's a good idea in any case. I would also vote for the idea of different patterns.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Honestly, i think changing the colours is always going to cause issues. A better solution would be to put the team number onto the ellipse, as previously proposed here.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Numbers would be nice, but providing alternate team-colors.cfg files wouldn't require any programming so it's more likely to happen (megane has already provided one). If someone is having trouble distinguishing teams, they are probably willing to rename a couple of .cfg files.

Unless that would somehow mess up multi-player, though I don't see why it would...
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

While I agree the elipse numbers would be the final solution (coders anyone?), the proposed changes would help in the meantime, and as a player of normal vision, I actually prefer the proposed changes to the current.

I remember playing for about two months w/o elipses before most units had TC. It wasn't that bad if your partner was competent. (Only real problem came with dealing with skirmishers of the same race as your partner).
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

Honestly, how many colorblind people are in Wesnoth?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

As someone in the Off-Topic thread suggested, possibly far less than there would be if the game did something to remove its reliance on colour to tell teams apart...

Honestly, probably not that many. But why should that keep us from doing something about the issue?
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

At least two or three forum members have said that they are color-blind.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Why not using the coloring fix for now and create a colorblind mode? Then if someone codes the numbers or any more detailed colorblind support, they can add it to the colorblind mode, as well as the color change. We can at least have partial support via this until we have full later.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

What if we made the team colors adjustable by the user so everyone could pick colors he can distinguish?
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Wouldn't the best way to make colours more distinguishable to colour-blind people be to use a wider range of saturation and brightness? The colours in both palettes seem to be almost entirely at middling levels of saturation and brightness.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

OK, hopefully this is an improvement.

Or am I wasting my time here?
Attachments
tctest2.png
tctest2.png (165.81 KiB) Viewed 4274 times
tcchanges.png
tcchanges.png (521 Bytes) Viewed 4273 times
team-colors.cfg
(8.43 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
hee hee! - little girl
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

megane wrote:OK, hopefully this is an improvement.

Or am I wasting my time here?
I don't see it as a waste....

anywho, the blue and olive seem a bit hard to see.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

I think that its easier if the Zoc images were different in form, that way there is no problem to discern it for a colorblind person. Only need to activate them in options and that's all.

Aka, apart of the classic circle, we could have a Cross one, Triangle, Hexagon, etc.

If you activate colorblind, it will change blue to cross, next to triangle, etc... and if they are visible, it will be easy to see for any person.

The problem is that you need to find a way to get a similar effect on the minimap to avoid confusions. But its an improvement overall.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Yes, as I said before, if it were possible to assign different ellipse images to different teams, then that would be the solution. However, as far as I know, it is not.
hee hee! - little girl