[DIY] making html5 wesnoth-themed roguelike

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

optimother

Re: looking for html5 wesnoth-themed roguelike

Post by optimother »

Great update, feels more polished now, but still very unbalanced gameplay — super hard start and super trivial later. Maybe monsters should level up as time goes?

Don't know if it is a bug or intended behaviour: if you really need to run away from monster attacking you just holding two arrows makes you run faster

The fact that elves can't walk mountains, dwarves can't walk forest, and human can't both feels wrong for me. I had a map where the quest goal was entirely surrounded by unpassable forest.

Also it would be nice to show enemies on minimap.

And I still feel mage should have higher range :)
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Really very cool, Iove your game.
Its possible to play it offline ?
Can you upload a version that I can play when I don't have access to the Internet.
Beheld the origins of BFW.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

New 0.82a version is almost ready. I am trying to polish out a few things now, will post update soon.

Many bugs fixed, including quest ones. Two more heroes added (+special quest), making it 8 in total. Special "Time Shift" ability added, which can be used once per N turns and allows to stop time for enemies, so player to make three extra steps (just moves, no attack) in any direction. Could be used by mage to escape combat, or could be used by melee fighters to get closer to ranged units without being hit. More special abilities will be added, including one which transforms terrain (to deal with impassable tiles). Also, day/night cycle is implemented (nights are scary! boo!), but it does not affect enemies yet (no bonus to undead) - to do.

Enemies on minimap? Okay, will do.

Offline version - can't provide Win/Lin/Mac versions right now, though it is totally possible, by embedding whole game into WebKit view. Will probably make Linux version later on. For now, offline version can be done if you know how to read JS code - all you need is to download html file, all js chunks and all images. Then point your browser to that local copy instead of web version, and voila, it will run locally. There is no DRM/obfuscation protection of any kind :D
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Shadow_Walker wrote:Offline version - can't provide Win/Lin/Mac versions right now, though it is totally possible, by embedding whole game into WebKit view. Will probably make Linux version later on. For now, offline version can be done if you know how to read JS code - all you need is to download html file, all js chunks and all images. Then point your browser to that local copy instead of web version, and voila, it will run locally. There is no DRM/obfuscation protection of any kind :D
Take a look at node-webkit. It's basically a very stripped down version of Chromium, but allows you to run any html content as a desktop application. It’s pretty cool stuff.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

New version uploaded. Please Ctrl+F5 if you see old banner or an empty black screen

http://wessense.esy.es/

Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

Hmm.. node-webkit solution seems to work. Here are resulting archives with standalone game, version 0.82a:

Windows ( tested to work with Win 8 )
http://wessense.esy.es/binaries/wessense.0.82a-win.zip

Linux ( tested to NOT work with RHEL6/Centos6, due to libstdc++ and libc issues, should work with Ubuntu etc )
http://wessense.esy.es/binaries/wessens ... x64.tar.gz

Mac ( not tested at all )
http://wessense.esy.es/binaries/wessense.0.82a-mac.zip

Start game, then maximize window as you see fit - it should autoresize.
Crow_T

Re: [DIY] making html5 wesnoth-themed roguelike

Post by Crow_T »

Hey this is coming along nicely, very good progress! :D
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Great you figured out how to bundle it for download!

Your Mac bundle works great for me.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

ancestral wrote:Great you figured out how to bundle it for download!
Your Mac bundle works great for me.
Thanks for the tip!
Eventually, I will figure out how to compile node-webkit binaries for EL6, so all linux versions will be covered. I wonder why NW does not do the same trick for android. Would be really cool to run grunt script once to make versions for all popular platforms.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

I tried to download the whole webpage, but when I try to load it localy, it does not start, it just shows me the plain HTML page full of writings, so thanks for the boundle.
Night, day cycle is a cool adition.
Beheld the origins of BFW.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
optimother

Post by optimother »

Yomar wrote:Night, day cycle is a cool adition.
Wow, in the night it's so dark, you even can't read the enemy stats :)

Very nice progress. Thanks for enemies on minimap :) But why not all of them are there?

One more little idea: to show next hp to level up on hover? Suppose I'm low on hp and have some big enemy ahead, should I run somewhere to seek for potion or can just kill few level 0 creeps to get max hp on level-up.
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

optimother wrote:Thanks for enemies on minimap :) But why not all of them are there?
Hmm. Hostile enemies = red dots, neutral enemies = dark gray dots on minimap, friendly units = green (not so easy to see, right). What's missing?
optimother wrote:One more little idea: to show next hp to level up on hover? Suppose I'm low on hp and have some big enemy ahead, should I run somewhere to seek for potion or can just kill few level 0 creeps to get max hp on level-up.
Well, currently almost all monsters have 50% chance to produce healing potion upon death, so finding healing should be much easier now.
optimother

Post by optimother »

Shadow_Walker wrote:Hmm. Hostile enemies = red dots, neutral enemies = dark gray dots on minimap, friendly units = green (not so easy to see, right). What's
missing?
Oh, sorry, shoud check my vision :)
Well, currently almost all monsters have 50% chance to produce healing potion upon death, so finding healing should be much easier now.
Yeah, I noticed that. It's kinda binary gameplay now — either you die very fast, either just crush everything almost without scratch. Thought it's an early imbalance issue that's why proposed the next level xp indication. When you need all information available to beat it. For example, approaching a group of enemies and knowing that you'll kill one for sure, but knowing that you'll reheal after it you might play more aggressively.
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

"Mage class is suicidal, they said. It is all binary gameplay, they said!" (tm)

Okay, I hear ya. Ta-dam.. Magic Spells are added to W.Essense, to make gameplay hexadecimal (or octal, given that there are no hex in game).

Twelve spell types could be learned and used. Some spells should be cast on enemies (Charm, anyone? hehe..), some operate on terrain, or imbue player with weird properties. Monsters now have 7.5% chance to drop either scroll or potion - some classes learn how to cast them instantly and infinitely, others just collect and use scrolls until nothing is left to cast. Moreover, now monsters can fight other monsters, when forced to do so. Note that high-level monsters have less chance to be affected by spells, and some monster types are totally immune to certain spells.

There are no spell descriptions available yet, so rely on your memories of those D&D games from an old time when dices were more common than PCs.

Also: fixed a couple of issues that people mentioned, so now messages will be seen during the night, click on green "current turn" box will allow to skip turns when there is no keyboard, friendly units will step away from player, and something else. As usual, it is an early development stage, so please report bugs or weird behaviour as you run into something. Funny screenshots also welcome :)

http://www.wessense.org/
(note that url changed)

Linux bundle:
http://www.wessense.org/binaries/wessen ... x64.tar.gz

Mac bundle:
http://www.wessense.org/binaries/wessense-0.83a.mac.zip

Windows bundle:
http://www.wessense.org/binaries/wessense-0.83a-win.zip

optimother

Post by optimother »

Now we're talking.

First impression: fantastic! But gameplay now is unary — you always kill everything :)

Spells are wasted if there is no one in range to cast on?