Demon Tactics

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nikita_Sadkov

Demon Tactics

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

The http://demon-tactic.com appears to be a Wesnoth-based roguelike with innovative gameplay and hexagonal grid. Did you know?
iceiceice

Re: Demon Tactics

Post by iceiceice »

Huh, that's pretty strange. They rejiggered all the terrain so that its 90 degrees rotated, which invalidates all the terrain transitions? IMO the terrain transitions are what makes the wesnoth terrain look good, idk why they didn't just make new art if they wanted to do this.
qnok

Post by qnok »

Making new art is very difficult. With low artist skills editing existing arts give much better results.
Nikita_Sadkov

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

iceiceice wrote:Huh, that's pretty strange. They rejiggered all the terrain so that its 90 degrees rotated, which invalidates all the terrain transitions? IMO the terrain transitions are what makes the wesnoth terrain look good, idk why they didn't just make new art if they wanted to do this.
Wesnoth hexagonal system has huge problem - units moving horizontally in zig-zag, yet most maps stereotypically horizontal, where the good guy starts on the west, while the bad guy is on the east (guess that is the cold war influence).

On the other hand, most commercial games, like Age of Wonders and Heroes of Might & Magic, use horizontal-friendly hexes. FreeCiv does gives a choice what hex style to use, but due to the toroidal nature of the map the choice should be obvious.

Tilesets appear to be the most complex part of Wesnoth with mind-boggling tiling rules.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Nikita_Sadkov wrote:Wesnoth hexagonal system has huge problem - units moving horizontally in zig-zag, yet most maps stereotypically horizontal, where the good guy starts on the west, while the bad guy is on the east (guess that is the cold war influence).
I seriously doubt that's the case.

Regardless, the bigger problem is that it calls for north/south facings for units (one's mileage may vary regarding how strongly they're called for). With horizontal hexes, east-west combat animations would practically always suffice for the diagonals as well (probably in everyone's mind). If there's one simple detail about the original design that I'd change, it'd probably be the hex shape, due to its aforementioned very unfortunate effect on unit animations.
Nikita_Sadkov

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

zookeeper wrote:Regardless, the bigger problem is that it calls for north/south facings for units (one's mileage may vary regarding how strongly they're called for). With horizontal hexes, east-west combat animations would practically always suffice for the diagonals as well (probably in everyone's mind). If there's one simple detail about the original design that I'd change, it'd probably be the hex shape, due to its aforementioned very unfortunate effect on unit animations.
Yup. That is an enormous problem. With east-west stacking hexes you can just mirror sprites, like platformer games do, so just one animation with carefully chosen attack swing would be enough to cover all 6 directions, while walking would require just 3 directions, instead of 4, animations.
qnok

Post by qnok »

I think it will be right to show some screenshots, how the game looks:
More images:
There is also slavery was added in game : /
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

That map overview looks really weird.

Are they doing something differently? I don't seem to have this ziggy zaggy look in Wesnoth.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

shevegen wrote:That map overview looks really weird.

Are they doing something differently? I don't seem to have this ziggy zaggy look in Wesnoth.
There are no terrain transitions implemented yet. (I guess this is because, as discussed above, the hexes are oriented 30 (or 90) degrees turned compared to Wesnoth.)