Community collab! Post *any* musical ideas here!

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Axfinger

Re: Community collab! Post *any* musical ideas here!

Post by Axfinger »

Alright, everything should be re-uploaded and fixed in the original post.

As a side note, I edited the metadata in VLC as you suggested. When I converted the MP3s to Oggs, I noticed that the playback settings on VLC changed the playback sound quite a bit. To get these sounding close to the way they were intended to sound on VLC, disable the compressor, Enable the Spatializer with everything set to 0, and enable the graphic eq with everything at 0. I usually use media player classic to play these files, and to me the files sound better in WMC, although it might just be that I don't know how to use VLC very well.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Axfinger wrote:Alright, everything should be re-uploaded and fixed in the original post.

As a side note, I edited the metadata in VLC as you suggested. When I converted the MP3s to Oggs, I noticed that the playback settings on VLC changed the playback sound quite a bit. To get these sounding close to the way they were intended to sound on VLC, disable the compressor, Enable the Spatializer with everything set to 0, and enable the graphic eq with everything at 0. I usually use media player classic to play these files, and to me the files sound better in WMC, although it might just be that I don't know how to use VLC very well.
Maybe it was how you converted them? I generally just run them through here, and I haven't noticed any problems. That's still kinda odd though.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Axfinger

Post by Axfinger »

I don't know. When I actually made these files a long time ago, I rendered wav files which I then converted to mp3s using a variable bit rate compression so as to preserve quality. I don't use VLC player all that much and don't know much about it so I think the issue is a lack of knowledge on my part.

Here are so more oldies from my archives that should fit at least fairly well with the style of the game

Vibes Theme:

This was made early on in my composing career, and is one of my first real attempts at writing a pseudo-fugue for piano. I was very into chromatic percussion at the time and nearly everything I did had vibraphones in there somewhere. This seems like it would best be utilized as a background theme for the text-driven story segments in the game.

Luna Tower:

This is literally my first composition ever, made in 2002. I composed the entire thing in one day while whacked out on codene after an oral surgery. I played out all the parts on a toy piano and wrote them as midi data using a VERY old program from Turtle Beach Voyetra called session composer or something like that. If this is any use to anyone at any time for any reason I would be oh so happy.

Building Evil:

This was supposed to turn into a grand building piece where some heroes come face to face with an evil force. Unfortunately, I had actually written a bit more of it at one time but lost the data. As with all of the stuff I've been uploading, I no longer have the data files to work on them, only mp3s of wips.
Attachments
BuildingEvil.zip
(900.99 KiB) Downloaded 632 times
LunaTower.zip
(3.78 MiB) Downloaded 701 times
Vibes.zip
(1.13 MiB) Downloaded 653 times
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Pentarctagon wrote:Honestly I don't know what not having a license would mean legally, so just putting it under the GPL would probably be easiest.

"Unfortunately, the definition of public domain varies with the jurisdictions, and it is in some places debatable whether someone who has not been dead for the last seventy years is entitled to put their own work in the public domain." -- from http://www.wtfpl.net/faq/
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Axfinger wrote:-stuff-
Cool, all 5 have been added to UMC Music Book 11 :)

Also as a sidenote/fyi to everyone, any new pieces that aren't updates will be put into Book 12 instead of Book 11, since there's already been 24 songs totaling 41.4 MBs uploaded to this thread and I prefer to limit add-on sizes to not much more than 40 MBs. I remember I had a reason for that limit, though I don't remember what it was anymore.
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Now that I learned the fundamentals of GitHub, I can finally upload and update all files in one place:
https://github.com/aquileia/wesnothian-music

In other news, motif15 is finally complete!

And I uploaded 4 new compositions as well: motifs 18-21

Pentarctagon: Could you please update motif15 in Book 11?

West: Is the "certain amount of ideas" by coincidence 50? That would mean - only 10 to go :hmm:
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

aquileia wrote:In other news, motif15 is finally complete!

And I uploaded 4 new compositions as well: motifs 18-21

Pentarctagon: Could you please update motif15 in Book 11?
Everything has been updated.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

aquileia wrote:West: Is the "certain amount of ideas" by coincidence 50? That would mean - only 10 to go :hmm:
I didn't have a specific number in mind. I've just had my hands full for several months now, sorry about that.

I pop in every now and then to see what's going on with this thread. It'll be a little while yet before I can start working on an actual piece, but I love all the ideas so far. It's going to be a lot of work picking a number that will fit together! :)
Chewan

Re: Composer introduction...

Post by Chewan »

Is this project still a current topic?
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

I'm sorry. Work, family, health (mental) and other musical projects got in the way. I simply overestimated how much time and energy I had to work on something like this. I still think it's a cool idea and I'd love to do it. Only... not right now.