BGM

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rinaldus_Drybone

BGM

Post by Rinaldus_Drybone »

Hi guys,

I'm quite new to the game and didn't find the answer to my question after checking the forums, so I thought of posting here - sorry if it has been asked before.

So, I was willing to change the BGM(the music is fine, it's just an old habit of customising stuff :roll: ) and I understand that can be done by either renaming the files and substituting them accordingly or playing the new music from something like Winamp; however, I want to know if there's something like a list of the events that trigger a certain song.
For instance, "main_menu.ogg" plays as soon as you start the game, that's obvious and easy to figure out; but what triggers "wanderer", "traveling_minstrels" and so forth?
Or is it just a random loop ? Does not seem to be the case.
It seems that each faction have their own theme as well.

I reckon I'd probably be able to figure out some more as I play the game more often, but I'd appreciate if there's some more info about it. Thanks!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: BGM

Post by zookeeper »

Basically each scenario defines their own music playlist, as well as any tracks to switch to at certain points mid-scenario. However, multiplayer scenarios almost (?) exclusively just use a default playlist which includes all the music tracks, which can be found in the definition of DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST in data/core/macros/sound-utils.cfg. Editing the contents won't affect the playlist if you join someone else's game on the server though, and games created by you will show up as custom scenarios to other people (because the playlist in them will be different), so that's not recommended if you intend to play online.
Rinaldus_Drybone

Re: BGM

Post by Rinaldus_Drybone »

zookeeper wrote:Basically each scenario defines their own music playlist, as well as any tracks to switch to at certain points mid-scenario. However, multiplayer scenarios almost (?) exclusively just use a default playlist which includes all the music tracks, which can be found in the definition of DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST in data/core/macros/sound-utils.cfg. Editing the contents won't affect the playlist if you join someone else's game on the server though, and games created by you will show up as custom scenarios to other people (because the playlist in them will be different), so that's not recommended if you intend to play online.
Super, this elucidates a lot - I'm checking the files under scenarios folder and I guess with a few tweaks will fit the purpose since I don't plan to play online any time soon.
Thanks a bunch for the prompt reply! :)