Triumph

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jeremy2
Music Contributor

Triumph

Post by jeremy2 »

Hey all,
Yes, I'm still alive... :) I got this idea about 5 months back for a song, and I've worked on it here and there. As always, not sure how this would fit in, but I'm offering the song here for use in Wesnoth. Take a look, er, listen:

http://gnexp.com/songs/triumph.mp3

It does not have the resonance samples yet, I'll get to that when I'm absolutely satisfied with it. Ok, so that never happens, but when I'm happy enough with it.
Gold Note Express (Owner) :: IRC name: eltiare :: Twitter profile
marcusvinicius

Re: Triumph

Post by marcusvinicius »

Great piece!! :D I like it a lot.
Listen to the music
O que faz de mim ser o que sou. É gostar de ir por onde ninguém for
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I'm liking what I'm hearing. This is really exceptional work in my humble opinion.

My favorite was around 1:16 through 2:03.. however, the part after that sounded like it was wandering off to a different theme and it seemed to get less interesting at that point.

Disclaimer: I'm not a musician, just a listener. ;)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

THUMBS UP. Very triumphant indeed. I think this piece could work very well for Wesnoth. My only question is where?
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I find it extremely pleasing to listen to. Grats!

Funny note...at first I thought this was another one of Rain's emotion theme pieces (just woke up at 6 am) so I was really really confused to see Rain giving his own piece such effusive praise xD.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Agreed, it's good!
Rain wrote:I think this piece could work very well for Wesnoth. My only question is where?
I wondered that a bit myself. It's kinda loyalist'ish, but the prevalent triumphant and happy feel doesn't exactly make it ideal battle music. Actually, the 0:09-0:24 part (which is repeated later several times) is the only part I feel like is "too happy". The rest of the piece is just fine even as normal gameplay/battle music, in my opinion.

I wonder if you'd be willing to try to change that abovementioned happy hook into something...a bit less jolly? It seems like you've clearly originally meant it to be like that though, so maybe you don't want to to do that. Just a thought.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Yeah, pretty good piece. It needs some work, put it does express the joy of victory. Still, though I can't quite put my finger on it, it needs something....

EDIT: I know what it is! Early on, some of the transitions are too abrupt.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

zookeeper wrote:Agreed, it's good!
Rain wrote:I think this piece could work very well for Wesnoth. My only question is where?
I wondered that a bit myself. It's kinda loyalist'ish, but the prevalent triumphant and happy feel doesn't exactly make it ideal battle music. Actually, the 0:09-0:24 part (which is repeated later several times) is the only part I feel like is "too happy". The rest of the piece is just fine even as normal gameplay/battle music, in my opinion.

I wonder if you'd be willing to try to change that abovementioned happy hook into something...a bit less jolly? It seems like you've clearly originally meant it to be like that though, so maybe you don't want to to do that. Just a thought.
I was thinking that it might be used in places after some huge battle took place, and the next scenario seems a bit brighter (for a bit anyway).
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Temuchin Khan wrote:Yeah, pretty good piece. It needs some work, put it does express the joy of victory. Still, though I can't quite put my finger on it, it needs something....

EDIT: I know what it is! Early on, some of the transitions are too abrupt.
If you could please let me know which transitions (marked by the time they occur), that would be most helpful.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

jeremy2 wrote:
zookeeper wrote:Agreed, it's good!

I was thinking that it might be used in places after some huge battle took place, and the next scenario seems a bit brighter (for a bit anyway).
Sure, there are some places like that. "Return to Kerlath" in TSG for instance, or some epilogues. And/or this could play as the first track of some scenarios (after a huge battle), but not stay as part of the actual playlist of that scenario (since this might fit in the beginning, but shouldn't play again later when the actual fighting in that scenario has started), or something like that. All I'm saying is that a piece like this minus the triumphant happy bits would find itself into a lot more places. ;)

Remember, I'm the guy who mostly wants to get rid of the still remaining old tracks and have them replaced with better, new ones. So unlike you composers, I'm not really after artistic perfection first. I'd be more content with a good piece replacing an old one and finding use in a dozen places than an absolutely fabulous new piece finding use in a handful of places. That's the background for most suggestions I make, and of course that's just my personal opinion too, so naturally composers aren't in any way obligated to take the same approach.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

zookeeper wrote:Sure, there are some places like that. "Return to Kerlath" in TSG for instance, or some epilogues. And/or this could play as the first track of some scenarios (after a huge battle), but not stay as part of the actual playlist of that scenario (since this might fit in the beginning, but shouldn't play again later when the actual fighting in that scenario has started), or something like that. All I'm saying is that a piece like this minus the triumphant happy bits would find itself into a lot more places. ;)
The happy bits are half the song! :)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

It is a bit happy, but it's a good tune. If it can't find a home in a mainline scenario, maybe it can be credits music?

Since it doesn't have a long build-up, it could also work as inter-scenario music.
furioso

Post by furioso »

I'm with doofus on this one. The tune is very good, and overall I like it, but I think the arrangement makes it sound a little over-happy. In the last minute or so, in particular, the harmony seems somewhat overblown, and the triangle too (though the melody is still very nice).
Anyway, hope that was intelligible, and keep up the good work!
Zerovirus wrote:Sprites for the Sprite God!
Aethaeryn wrote:What about dwarf dwarfs: dwarfs who have dwarfism?
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

This is some seriously awesome music, Jeremy. Wow. :shock:
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

This is a great contribution. The music is really enjoyable, and the orchestration is really good. I think it could fit some special event, like the end of a campaign...