beta test the replay parser

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

eyerouge

beta test the replay parser

Post by eyerouge »

what
After much ado and sweat we [eyerouge, Funzi, chains + probably others I have forgotten] have a beta of the wesnoth replay parser online, also dubbed WesParse. The parser is written in PHP and is open source of course.

It's a tool that keeps track of your battle statics, just like for example Battle.Net does, but way better.

It takes a replay file and extracts the most of the interesting info in it, making it easy to keep statistics of whatever you want to know. Some examples: How many woses have you killed in total? What's the average amount of gold you spend in your games? How do you level up your units? Which maps have you played on most often?

In essence, whatever info is in the replay, we can quantify and check relations between. The purpose with WesParse is to offer those who want to use it an easy way to keep a record of their Wesnoth games and indirectly of their playstyle. WesParse is of course also supposed to work with MySQL where it stores the info, if you happen to be technically inclined.

Updated instructions for trying it out

There are two ways to test the parser. One is to simply upload your replay file and let it parse it. The other one is to state the name of a file that has already been previously uploaded by anyone, and in such a case that specific file would be parsed again. Notice: Parse output is only dumped on screen.

Upload mode
  1. Save a valid Wesnoth replay in the gz-format Wesnoth uses.
  2. Upload it to http://chaosrealm.net/oldladder/parsetest/upload.php (/upload.php in script dir)
  3. Watch the magic ;)
Re-Parse Mode
  1. All uploaded replays are stored into /uploads
  2. Visit http://chaosrealm.net/oldladder/parsetest/index.html (/index.html)
  3. Write the complete and exact filename (case sensitive) of an already uploaded file that resides in /uploads. Examples on the test site: 23_05_04_39_6_leocrotta_vs_tetsuo.gz or 18_03_22_18_342_leocrotta_vs_Weeksy.gz
  4. Press submit.
Downloads
Here's the code (GPL3) and some sample replays as well: http://eyerouge.com/arkiv/wesParse.tar.gz
If you modify the code in any way please share it by making it available online. It would be nice if somebody set this up in SVN on sourceforge, as a separate project. Please add me to that project if you do, username >> eyerouge.

---
Old instructions below:

you
We need your help to test it. Currently it doesn't look good since we haven't done the html yet, but, it works and looks good enough for testing purposes.

http://ladder.subversiva.org/parsetest/upload.php

You must read the following:
  • Only upload 1vs1 compressed REPLAYS for the DEFAULT ERA. It means that you must have saved the file as a REPLAY and not a usual save game. If you are not 100% sure if it's a replay or not then DONT upload the file.
  • Only upload the replay if it's .gz (compressed by wesnoth) AND 200kb or smaller.
  • Once you uploaded, check it out.
  • Mail spam(a)eyerouge.com if you find an error in it. INCLUDE THE FILENAME (including the wicked numbers we added to it at the start of it) and a good description of whats wrong. Don't mail me the file - we already stored it when you uploaded it.
  • Thank you for helping out. If you know PHP and want to give us a hand we'd be happy.
Last edited by eyerouge on May 9th, 2010, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Re: beta test the replay parser

Post by Boucman »

interesting tool....
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
ukognos

Post by ukognos »

good work, but there remains still a problem.
What if the winner isn't chosen by the game, but by the players.

Maybe a ingame abandon button would solve this problem. :>
appleide

Post by appleide »

Hmm, just wondering... if you used... say javascript... then it wouldn't screw up your server if someone uploads a non-replay file?

Interesting nonetheless :)
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

ukognos wrote:good work, but there remains still a problem.
What if the winner isn't chosen by the game, but by the players.

Maybe a ingame abandon button would solve this problem. :>
The script doesn't determine who lost or won the game. If the info is in the replay file, which it should somewhere even if I don't know what to look for at this point, we could use it to determine the winner though. The again, in such a case we'd still run into problems with games where one player left/forfeited.

All that is solved by simply letting the people reporting the winner at the site that runs the script, that is, if the site keeps track of such info at all.

An ingame abandon button (forfeit?) is excessive in my opinion, it's also an option that probably won't ever be implemented in Wesnoth if I know the developers correctly ;)
Hmm, just wondering... if you used... say javascript... then it wouldn't screw up your server if someone uploads a non-replay file?
No, it probably wouldn't.Since it's open source people would also have an easy way of spotting security issues if they're present.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

That, and javascript is run client-side, so the worst thing that could happen is that your browser dies.
norbert

Post by norbert »

eyerouge wrote:wesnoth replay parser
Is the code still available, eyerouge?
Anyone know if there are any other replay parsers out there?
I'm going to create a parser myself, but checking out other code never hurts...
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

norbert wrote:Is the code still available, eyerouge?
Yes, of course. I think I have it on my webserver, and even if I don't I can probably locate it on some of my machines. Please email me and I'll send it to you as soon as I find it. :)

I tried it out in 2008(?) the last time, and it worked flawless then and extracted basic info. I'd love to help you understand it or getting it to work if you need assistance, just say so :) Would be cool to set it up in an SVN on sourceforge even, shoul have done that long time ago. :P

Please email me >> eyerouge at eyerouge dot com
norbert

Post by norbert »

eyerouge wrote:I'll send it to you as soon as I find it.
You could attach it to a message in this forum thread.
That way other people besides me can also look at the code, thanks.
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

eyerouge wrote:
norbert wrote:Is the code still available, eyerouge?
Yes, of course. I think I have it on my webserver, and even if I don't I can probably locate it on some of my machines. Please email me and I'll send it to you as soon as I find it. :)

I tried it out in 2008(?) the last time, and it worked flawless then and extracted basic info. I'd love to help you understand it or getting it to work if you need assistance, just say so :) Would be cool to set it up in an SVN on sourceforge even, shoul have done that long time ago. :P

Please email me >> eyerouge at eyerouge dot com
Link doesn't work anymore, just to let you know ;)
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

Updated instructions for trying it out

There are two ways to test the parser. One is to simply upload your replay file and let it parse it. The other one is to state the name of a file that has already been previously uploaded by anyone, and in such a case that specific file would be parsed again. Notice: Parse output is only dumped on screen.

Upload mode
  1. Save a valid Wesnoth replay in the gz-format Wesnoth uses.
  2. Upload it to http://chaosrealm.net/oldladder/parsetest/upload.php (/upload.php in script dir)
  3. Watch the magic ;)
Re-Parse Mode
  1. All uploaded replays are stored into /uploads
  2. Visit http://chaosrealm.net/oldladder/parsetest/index.html (/index.html)
  3. Write the complete and exact filename (case sensitive) of an already uploaded file that resides in /uploads. Examples on the test site: 23_05_04_39_6_leocrotta_vs_tetsuo.gz or 18_03_22_18_342_leocrotta_vs_Weeksy.gz
  4. Press submit.
Downloads
Here's the code (GPL3) and some sample replays as well: http://eyerouge.com/arkiv/wesParse.tar.gz
If you modify the code in any way please share it by making it available online. It would be nice if somebody set this up in SVN on sourceforge, as a separate project. Please add me to that project if you do, username >> eyerouge.
norbert

Post by norbert »

eyerouge wrote:Here's the code (GPL3) [...] http://eyerouge.com/arkiv/wesParse.tar.gz
Thanks!