Change/fix Giant Scorpion Resistances

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Re: Change/fix Giant Scorpion Resistances

Post by F8 Binds... »

There is room for error. I see your point, so how about this-

-20% Fire
-10% Impact

50% cold
20% Pierce
20% Blade
20% Arcane
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
TL

Post by TL »

Somehow giant arthropods don't strike me as being particularly "normal" or "mundane". Maybe arcane resistance should be lowered a bit? I agree they probably shouldn't be vulnerable to arcane as they're not overtly magical, but still. Scorpions just don't get that big on their own.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

On the point of Scorpion balancing, isn't its MP a bit high?
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

TL wrote:Scorpions just don't get that big on their own.
Here yeah. In a fantasy setting, why not? It doesn't have to be a magical reason.

Also, i don't think it needs that much cold resistance. If it must have cold resistance, give it like 20% or 30% at most.
zaksam

Post by zaksam »

Neoskel wrote:
TL wrote:Scorpions just don't get that big on their own.
Here yeah. In a fantasy setting, why not? It doesn't have to be a magical reason.

Also, i don't think it needs that much cold resistance. If it must have cold resistance, give it like 20% or 30% at most.
It don´t NEED that much cold resistance, But reallisticaly it SHOULD have that much resistance. :eng: If normal scorpion survive freeze why not wesnoth scorpion? :) I think 50% resistance is perfect. no more, no less.
F8 Binds... wrote:There is room for error. I see your point, so how about this-

-20% Fire
-10% Impact

50% cold
20% Pierce
20% Blade
20% Arcane
Yeah, I think that´s very good. But MAYBE I would make lesser arcane resistance. 10% or 0% would be better imo.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

zaksam wrote:
Neoskel wrote: Here yeah. In a fantasy setting, why not? It doesn't have to be a magical reason.

It don´t NEED that much cold resistance, But reallisticaly it SHOULD have that much resistance. :eng: If normal scorpion survive freeze why not wesnoth scorpion? :) I think 50% resistance is perfect. no more, no less.
Wikipedia wrote:Scorpions prefer to live in areas where the temperatures range from 20°C to 37°C (68°F to 99°F), but may survive from freezing temperatures to the desert heat.
The ones living in freezing temperatures are the exception, not the rule. Note the use of the word survive rather than thrive. Just cuz the Echidna lays eggs doesn't mean that all mammals do. 30% should cover it fine.
zaksam

Post by zaksam »

I didnt mean that scorpions thrive in freezing temperature. :lol2: I did mean that they can be frozen and survive. Their metabolism is "just" slowed. they arent damaged and after few hours they are defrosted, healthy, and ready to kill :twisted:.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Yeah, try that with a human. (you could probably do it with mice, but first you'd have to put them in suspended animation (80ppm H2S), then fill their blood with antifreeze ;), unfortunately, humans don't seem to react the same way, they just die)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Hmmm... An freind of mine wrote a short story in a book calle Polarus, or something like that. It was science fiction. In the book a girl survives in a freezing situation because a certain bioengineer did experiments on her, and she could hibernate through ice like frogs do, so when the detective found a sample of her blood frozen in the ice and anyalysed it, it told him that she had died before the blood had been spilled, and that she had died of hypo-glysimia (to much sugar). This confused the detective allot because she coul not have been dead if she was leaving a trail of blood, and it's not common for a human fleeing for their life to die of hypo-glysimia (he did not know about the genetic engineering which was illegal). *sorry for butchered spellings*

On-topic again it makes realistic sense that scorpians resist cold (desert nights are very cold), gameplay sense depends on the campain they are being used it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."