Tiny Maps - now with Chess and Checkers!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Belbog

Tiny Maps - now with Chess and Checkers!

Post by Belbog »

Hi everyone,

I would like to introduce my Tiny Maps add-on (you can install it from the list of add-on in the game). As the name suggests, it is a pack of very small maps. Some of the maps are kind of puzzle - when you discover how to play it, the computer has no chance (but do not be mistaken: it is not as easy as it seems!). However, the maps are intended for human opponent in the first place (that means your friend, not the "Loyalists" faction :D ).

The list of maps:
(if not stated below, the map is for 2 players)
  • Moreover classical maps
  • Claustrophobia - quite a small cave; new!
  • Close Relation - very close, indeed :-)
  • Frozen Smile - the nagas know the flowing water is better than the frozen one :-)
  • Inside Out - have you noticed in almost all the maps players start near a border of the map? For 3 players!
  • Melting Pot - which colour will dominate? For 6 players
  • Monty - the mountain is too small for two kings
  • No Passaran - a little bit of combat mess - 4 players plus 3 neutral forest factions fighting each other on quite a small map!
  • Rat race - go forward as far and as fast as you can, and try not to be driven back; new!
  • Sextet - six can play the game (not to mention dragons!!!) For 6 players! new!
  • Smallwood - at the border mountain range there are two rather irritating rangers; and the enemy behind, of course
  • Thief of Baghdad - the thief are not the biggest problem - you will see!
  • Three Men`s Fall - small map for 3 players and a cuttlefish :-)
  • Triangle - in this map, it is quite good to know where to place your units; the neutral units might be greater problem than opponents. For 3 players! new!
  • Trolls - no villages, no income and a horde of trolls standing between you and your enemy

The boardgame-like maps:
  • Wesnoth Checkers - Chinese checkers based game for 2-6 players (this map contains only castle and village titles!)
  • Wesnoth Chess - the chess game is said to be like battle; but is the battle like a chess game?
  • Wesnoth Hupo - dwarves in a flooded room; poor ones!
Concerning changelog, I will write it from the very next update; now it is version 2.0 which means new maps and that the add-on has been adapted for Wesnoth 1.8

If you could write me some feedback, I will be really glad.

Belbog
Last edited by Belbog on October 7th, 2010, 10:40 am, edited 8 times in total.
Belbog

Re: Tiny Maps

Post by Belbog »

Well, I have added few neutral units to some maps (to Cloud City, Monty and Snowman). So, it is the 1.1 version.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Close Relation:

The first player gets a huge advantage, particularly if their leader is strong against the other leader. While you only gave enough gold for each player to recruit once, every time I moved my leader on to the enemies castle and attacked him. When it was his turn, he could recruit and try to move to the village for healing, but I could wipe him out while my other unit attacked his recruit.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Belbog

Post by Belbog »

Turuk wrote:Close Relation:

The first player gets a huge advantage, particularly if their leader is strong against the other leader. While you only gave enough gold for each player to recruit once, every time I moved my leader on to the enemies castle and attacked him. When it was his turn, he could recruit and try to move to the village for healing, but I could wipe him out while my other unit attacked his recruit.
Thank for your comment - I have made two changes: 1) I have raised recommended funds to 40 gold pieces for each player so they can hire two units (I do not think more money for the second player would solve the problem), 2) second player starts with one more unit - a tentacle of the deep - it is as weak as needed and it cannot go out of water. I think it could be more playable now, though as you said, it really matters what leader do you select.

I have done some new changes:
1. I have modified (repaired) neutral units in the Smallwood map - now there are two elven rangers who do not go out of mountains.
2. I have created two new maps in board-games style. The first one is called "Wesnoth Chess" and the latter is "Wesnoth Checkers" (which is a modification of chinese checkers). The checkers is the first map in my add-on which is not for 2 but for up to 6 players.
So, if you like board games, try it, I think it is a fun! (especially the checkers)

And some even newer changes:
In the new update (1.4) I have deleted some maps (Cobblestone, Doodle, Highway66, Oasis) and added one new (Hupo - board game based one).
older_map

Re: Tiny Maps - now with Chess and Checkers!

Post by older_map »

I ported your addons for Wesnoth 1.12.
Jaca_the_Elf

Post by Jaca_the_Elf »

Could you tell me what code I should use to play wesnoth chess on random maps? Where should I paste the 1 move per turn code? Thanks
older_map

Post by older_map »

Jaca_the_Elf wrote:Could you tell me what code I should use to play wesnoth chess on random maps? Where should I paste the 1 move per turn code? Thanks
Show/Copy (read licence)/Study WML code wml scene of wesnoth chess.
fun

Post by fun »

This addon is back in Wesnoth addon ... In Wesnoth 1.14 is as "Tiny maps 1.6-1.10". I updated minimal code for 1.14.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

fun wrote: June 30th, 2018, 5:58 pm This addon is back in Wesnoth addon ... In Wesnoth 1.14 is as "Tiny maps 1.6-1.10". I updated minimal code for 1.14.
What's the difference between the add-on "Fun" and "Tiny maps 1.6-1.10"?
Spixi

Post by Spixi »

The checkers board has the problem, that leaders can occupy a space in the castle of another player. This gives them a great disadvantage, even when they start with more money.
vasya
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by vasya »

Hi @Belbog! Is it possible to modify the maps a little bit to introduce symmetries? In particular:

* 2p mini edited -- move one of the villages 2 hexes to the north, so that it gets north of the castle?
* 2p mini -- maybe a bit questionable, but consider also moving one of the villages to the north? I know that snow is already asymmetrical there, but still.

Reason for asking on my side is simple. Besides generally liking symmetries, I've also developed a few add-ons now that can detect symmetries on the fly. Based on the symmetries, the add-ons place e.g. various bonuses on the terrain. Now the problem of course, is that it can only work if the map is _actually_ symmetric. :) The current add-on can ignore few minor violations of a symmetry if it's not a castle or village, but a village moved 2 hexes away from its symmetrical location is too much for the algorithm to detect.

Thoughts?

P.S. If you want to test it out and see what I'm talking about, install the "Bonus Tiles" add-on and try it out with the other maps from Mini collection. You'll see some nice bonuses generated beautifully on opposite sides of the map ;)
eco

Post by eco »

@vasya I think those are from another pack (mini)

I can't find the Tiny map pack on 1.16 addons. Can someone add please!! Or how can I download elsewhere? Ty in advance ^_^
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

eco wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 6:27 pm @vasya I think those are from another pack (mini)

I can't find the Tiny map pack on 1.16 addons. Can someone add please!! Or how can I download elsewhere? Ty in advance ^_^
Possibly Mini Maps Collection
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
eco

Post by eco »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 7:34 pm
eco wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 6:27 pm @vasya I think those are from another pack (mini)

Possibly Mini Maps Collection
2p mini edited and 2p mini are from Mini maps collection.

Tiny maps is some other pack, which is what I couldn't find for 1.16
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

this is inspiring. good work.
i tried to create a unit that move like the knight of the chess but it was very hard to code