World of Wesnoth (MMORPG add-on project)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dugi

Re: World of Wesnoth (MMORPG add-on project)

Post by Dugi »

To the fact that they arent used in wesnoth: Neither are demons, preserved lichs etc etc (in mainline) so tha argument that wesnoth doesnt have them isnt an argument..
Demons were mentioned quite significantly in Under the Burning Suns, that is a mainline campaign, with events taken as cannon by many UMC campaigns. Preserved liches are just an unusual kind of undead, not a real race, and I didn't really intend to introduce them, it was meant to be rather a joke, or an overly wind suggestion (as many other suggestions on that line).
Still I am not telling that vampires should not be there, but I don't want them to be too important (but I am sure there is enough emos that would play them no matter what). So I would like the vampiric race to be some kind of disease (the player gets the vampire race if he becomes a vampire, and gets his old one when he gets cured). And it might be contracted from vampires, according to mainstream gaming rules. Easily curable, maybe by any potion or healing spell, but if uncured and died or uncured for too long, the unit might become a real vampire and would have to complete a quest to get cured (something like in Morrowind, asking some superior force that created vampires for a favour of curing him).
Luck only affects drop rate.
I don't want anything to affect drop rate. It was pretty bad in Diablo II, everybody simply killed the stuff with sorceresses (or let them finish the bosses) because they could get a lot of items increasing their chance to get stuff without crippling themselves. I had a barbarian who was getting even more items, but he was killing too slowly. Just to avoid being mainstream, I made a necromancer with 85% of the drop chance of sorceresses, but I could kill even faster, everything choked on my poison so fast, good old times :twisted:
If the humans had an extra chance to get items, all parties would have humans in parties just especially to finish bosses and other well-dropping stuff.
Good that you agreed that +1 extra mana regeneration would be good as well.
That Ai is favored to humans: silly comparison in my opinion as that is NOT luck but simply balancing issues
Humans are an unlucky race compared to AI. This is the most famous wesnothian myth, you cannot doubt that. It was rather a joke.
Elves were from the beginning on good mages in all stories but not in wesnoth so saying that in this/that book they are this and that is not a reason..
It has just to sound logical, nothing more.
It sounds logical, but read the F1 help files in wesnoth about races: Elves are naturally imbued with magic to a small degree. Though most are unable to channel it directly, its latent presence gives them their keen senses and long life. And: Although they are not imbued with magic like other creatures, humans can learn to wield it and able to learn more types than most others.
I would think something similar to the how werewolfs are in skyrim. Most consider it as curse or plague but some consider it as blessing. They have they own society aswell. If seen in werewolf form by normal people they attack werewolfs. Also becoming werewolf is players own choice.
Werewolves were the most useless thing I have seen in Skyrim. They were fast, but you became weaker when you transformed into the beast for if your level was more than 5 or so. The unability to transform back, unability to heal yourself without killing and prolonging the transformation was making it even worse. Maybe if you were playing it on an easy mode, like the default difficulty, you could transform just for the coolness' sake, but otherwise, it was a pain.
And as we explained more times, you will not be able to perform any crime against humans, you simply need them for important quests and trade. It might be like in Diablo II, where werewolf transformation was a skill that was making you physically more powerful, but making you unable to cast spells. Or it might be added later as a special class, that a Hunter can become, and it will have some advancements related with transforming into the wolf form.

I would prefer if all abnormal races and things like vampires, werewolves, medusas, yokai, rusalkas, demons, angels, gnomes, dark elves, shadow people, desert elves, efreeti, cyclops, leviathans, leprechauns, valkyries, myrmidons, minotaurs and other stuff were just possibilities for later development, as it would badly delay the moment when we finish it.
alex23

Post by alex23 »

ok i sugested it (werewolves) as an idea for later gameplay. (I even said: People can DECIDE THEMSELVES when they want to becaome a werewolf, they CANT cast spells, but are more powerful, the strenght of their attacks does depend only very few on atrributes, more on level) SO metioning all points you both sugested (more or less at least).
But you are right about delaying, but please making the game "open" for later changes like that (Idk how to code, but if you often you need to recode much if you dont consider every possible changes later you might make later on from the beginning)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

they CANT cast spells, but are more powerful
There is a little problem with that. Mages would not use it, and pure fighters would use it a lot. It would have to be a skill (that would cause issues with skill loss from removal, but as I said that if it was some kind of class), or balanced with serious inconveniences, like being weaker in the human form, while you are unable to be in the beast form at day.

More about the idea of making the werewolf a class (to be added later) - it would be either available when advancing to hunters, or to characters recently bitten by a werewolf (that might be like beast wandering the dangerous wilderness). It would have 6-7 available skills, one of them would be an enchantment of transformation into a werewolf (getting all bonuses from weapons and stuff (where the clothes of the one who becomes a beast comes? It becomes a part of his new body, what else is possible.)), others would be some skills accessible for those in the form of a werewolf.
Same might be with vampires.
But you are right about delaying, but please making the game "open" for later changes like that (Idk how to code, but if you often you need to recode much if you dont consider every possible changes later you might make later on from the beginning)
Yes, it is important to take all possible future changes into account, that is one of the reasons why I haven't done too many things yet. I have rewritten significant parts of LotI three times until I have reached a level when there was really nothing to improve (though that does not mean that other parts cannot be improved). Most unexpected changes would just mean some addenda into various parts of the structure, but the code would become greatly ineffective if the chosen architecture was not good for the purpose.

For now, three races, seven classes. I will work more on the skills (especially for wizard, necromancer and cleric).
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I finished the first multiplayer scenario scribble: The Village. It contains different design overlays for furniture, we might reuse for other maps. I used Wesband as a pattern for the scenario structure, as this multiplayer campaign features different scenarios, so we might add several different campaigns.

Shall I upload it here as an archive for you to review the map? The size isn't that big yet.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Okay, do it. And can you please express your opinion about things discussed in the last 3 pages?
alluton

Post by alluton »

Dugi wrote:Werewolves were the most useless thing I have seen in Skyrim. They were fast, but you became weaker when you transformed into the beast for if your level was more than 5 or so. The unability to transform back, unability to heal yourself without killing and prolonging the transformation was making it even worse. Maybe if you were playing it on an easy mode, like the default difficulty, you could transform just for the coolness' sake, but otherwise, it was a pain.
And as we explained more times, you will not be able to perform any crime against humans, you simply need them for important quests and trade. It might be like in Diablo II, where werewolf transformation was a skill that was making you physically more powerful, but making you unable to cast spells. Or it might be added later as a special class, that a Hunter can become, and it will have some advancements related with transforming into the wolf form.
I hardly see how werewolfs balancing in Skyrim is relevant in anyway. I was more suggesting: Able to take werewolf form which would give strenght and speed and possibly to gain healt points when killing enemyes.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

alluton wrote:Able to take werewolf form which would give strenght and speed and possibly to gain healt points when killing enemyes.
Actually, your suggestion is "create special type of spell stance, which can influence combat efficiency and a character look". We haven't discussed latter effect yet.
I think your description of werewolf form suit "stance" concept more, than spell.
More than that. If werewolf will get special attacks instead of normal sword/[whatever] blows, then my idea "stance determines attacks" works here.
In this case, if we really want to allow (barbarian) to use any attack (default/concentration/fury/...), then we just can define them all for each barbarian's stance.
alex23

Post by alex23 »

Hmm i know that might sound stubborn but I dont like the idea of stances, the word "stance" is simply wrong for a transformation
Mages would not use it,
WHy not? The attack power is not determined by attributes, but by level and other things, so that mages would be as strong as warriors (nearly) in werewolf form, and that would be very useful.

Another points is: Is it possible to programm stances that for changing/having one you loose mana?
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

alex23 wrote:Hmm i know that might sound stubborn but I dont like the idea of stances, the word "stance" is simply wrong for a transformation
"stance" here is technical word. Players might see something else.
alex23 wrote:Another points is: Is it possible to programm stances that for changing/having one you loose mana?
I think it is.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi guys,

please find in the attachment the first scribble for the first multiplayer scenario. Its just a first scribble so we still might change if you don't like it.
Please tell me honestly what you think. I placed the missions layout within the TheVillage.cfg before the Missionteleport macro.

About the ideas and the discussion:

Stance in a way of fast attack, normal attack and heavy attack would be nice, but seem to be a complicate things a bit. If its easy to code it would be a nice feature, but I'm personally against them. I personally would just use heavy attacks as a barbarian and not change it anymore. Its an unnecessary feature as you already have different ways of attack and different skills.

Well races, we (dugi and I) had that topic already in our discussion before this thread. We should create stereotypes such as the elven ranger, the human fencer and the orcish necromancer, but not creating an entire new system allowing races and classes. Its getting to complicated and especially to hard to code and we would need to make 3x7 sprites for all the characters (fully animated and with different weapons?). If you are willing to do the job - do it. But this is one of the things that might lead to an end of this project. We should try to reduce the work in coding and drawing to a minimum, without giving up our ideas.

Its a dungeon crawl and we should keep things simple. A necromancer, a melee warrior, a mage, a bowman, a nimble warrior and a healer and whatever, but thats it (thats one of the drawbacks of Wesband - too much complexity)! We are getting way to detailed before we get started - I like to get things done and than see how they are like and how people react. Thats proably not the best attitude in teamwork as we have do things together not seperately do our work. But its my opinion. We might destroy this project by letting our fantasy go and overcomplicate things. I would never wanted dugi to implent a "Jester" which I personally think is a cool idea for a class, but thats my personal opinion. This has nothing to do with this project and the idea would disable the idea of a dungeon crawl.

Resumee:

Stance - just yes if its easy to realize, but irrelevant in my opinion

Races - stereotype heroes instead of races, its a dungeon crawl not neverwinter nights which is a hardcore rpg! I'm willing to accept it if its easy to realize - but if than more than three races - if you implent them than just 3 races are not enough, it feels like a bad compromise and seems like halfdone work.
Werewolves and other ideas: - nice to have but not in this state of development, we just first try to get an import and export done as well as the character amla and skill defintion - a werewolf ability would be just a spell or ability, so we should discuss about that now, but should keep it in mind to add it somewhere in a future version.

Please note that these are just my opinions. I did not ment to hurt your feelings, I just wanted to give you a honest feedback and say my opinion. We should be careful not to overcomplicate the system. This might scare off potential players.

Have a nice weekend all of you!

Heindal
Attachments
MMORPG_firstscribble.zip
This is the first scribble for our MMORPG. Just copy it in your addon folder, that should work - I just tested it and it should work - I even implented some monsters so that you can fight while exploring the map - but beware its a worthy challenge for lone level 3 player or several level 2 players.
(790.96 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
alex23

Post by alex23 »

@Heindal
About the artwork of all units:
Dugi said that the best would be to draw all parts seperately and then combining them by coding (Idk how exactly). However, races will be not very different, a little difference in skin colorand different heads.
3 races are not much but adding a few more isnt difficult if the main build is good, so starting with 3 races and then adding more after testing shouldnt be a too big problem (but thats up to dugi).

ABout the campaign:
Questions:
Can you play it with less than 5 ppl or do it have to exactly 5? (
"Fortunately 5 heroes have"
)
what does that mean? (I have never seen that in a campaign...)

Code: Select all

[ai]
            villages_per_scout=8
        [/ai]
The id is funny^^ (nothing serious just for notice haha)

type=Ghast
			name=Woodcutter
			id=skel4
# Tunnelteleports that have a mission requirement - this way we might allow to enter a special location just if the group has done a special mission.
# the first mission would be to survive and to kill the attackers within the taverns (this should be mainly easy targets such as walking corpses)
# unfortunately the undeads have damaged the barricades of the tavern and so the heroes are send out to gather more wood from the woodcutter and see if he is still alive
# after that you will find out that the supplies seems to be poisoned and cause everyone who eats it to turn into a zombie - so you will be sent to the farm gathering food that is not contaminated
# than you will try to find survivors in the slums
# after that you will try to gather armors and weapons in the blacksmith for the villagers
# unfortunately it seems like a powerful barricade is blocking the entrance to the graveyard where the leader of the undeads is hiding which is located in the ruins of an old tower to the north
# so the party is send out to find the only person that could possibly break this barricade - the local priest
# after that you can enter the final destination and kill the boss
# the idea is that after you free the village you will be sent to the worldmap to fight the evil
# tell me if you like this scenario thus far?
# greetings Heindal
Good ideas, interesting storyline, woodcutter is dead as I assume. But I dont understand how you got from
to gather more wood from the woodcutter
to
you will find out that the supplies seems to be poisoned
?
I mean the supplies have nothing todo with the woodcutter am i right?

Ah and how exactly do the teleports work? Assuming from utils.cfg u need to have more missions finished than the value "{Mission}" but how will one know if he finished the right quests? Maybe each quest should have an own variable:

[variable]
name=questname_finished
value_no
 [/variable]
that after finishing the quest becomes "yes". And each teleporter checks if you have the needed quests finished to use it? (only an Idea because I dont understand how your code works)

MAP:
It looks good, you made a great work. However i have a few questions
The horses are only for decoration am i right?
The middle right map looks pretty strange as I cant guess (yet) what it is good for... Maybe you should not name all teleports "Leave" and "Enter" but make own descriptions where they lead

I think that you already considered many of those points I mentioned but I decided to mention everything that I noticed :)

EDIT: One last thing, the 75gold are only for testing or not?
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Missions: dugi and I have already (shortly) talked about the mission a while ago.

We will take one variable "mission", which is increased when a mission is done.

mission=0 - Tavern Defence
mission=1 - Woodcutter and Woodcollect
mission=2 - Return to the Tavern
mission=3 - Farm
and so on

This way you can use one variable to define all mission stats. There will be just one active mission and all players on the map have the same mission status. So if one player is solving a mission alone, its solved for the group - but its recommended that you stick together to beat enemies such as the woodcutter. If we would do the quest as you suggested we would need to add a variable for each quest, that not necessary and on the other hand you can always use mission>than, which allows you for example to change dialogues. Used the same concept in trapped already.
Spoiler:
As I wrote in the description of the attachment you can do the map all alone, but it has fixed placed monsters, so it might be a hard fight. This very base was made for you just to review the map and to have a look on the mission ideas, so just open it local. You can always deactivate the other players and play alone, like in any other localy played multiplayer game.

[ai]
            villages_per_scout=8
        [/ai]
is irrelevant, we can delete it lateron.

I've been just lazy with that id - after all the id of the three enemies in the tavern are skel1-3.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

My summary of the project.

There is two parts of project:
* Era - informaton, which is used in every scenario (for example items, classes, spells)
* Scenarios - contains information, specific for each scenario (for example mercenaries, missions)

Player can control:
  • one character - NU, with extended properties, including:
    • classes - set of unique constant properties - skills.
      info:
    • attributes - variables, which affect properties using some mathematical function
      info:
    • inventory - set of unique properties, which can be changed easily
  • multiple summons
    Maximum number of summons depends from its type. Number of most summons is limited by 1, while necromancers summons are limited by 5. Total number of summons is not limited.
    They are created by spell and last for infinite time.
  • multiple mercenaries.
    Any number of each kind are allowed.
    They are used as optional extra help for tight situations.
    To get mercenary, player should "hire" it in special shop.
Possible players actions:
  • movement
  • native attack
    info:
  • cast a spell
    info:
  • change stance
    info:
  • inventory transactions
Special places:
  • Mercenaries base
    info:
  • Shop
    info:
  • Traps
    info:
Comments:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I think that your stances would overcomplicate the game. Werewolf was nothing but a mere speculation for further edits, and all I wanted was to make the system support it, and it was meant to be rather like some kind of polymorph spell, not a stance.
The problem with stances is that limiting the attacks for each stance would make it annoying. Each of the combat skills could be technically a stance (Thrash, Fury, Doom for Barbarian, Thrash and Fury are rather offensive, Doom is rather defensive). Each attack in your turn can be done in the selected way, so this is basically like attacking enemies with selected stances, just no need for right-click menus to select them. Attacks that are not much like stances (Concentrate, Mayhem, Cleave for Barbarian) would be used in one stance anyway, Concentrate and Cleave would be useful only in offensive stance, Mayhem only in defensive. If it was about party play, all fighters would play their role of tanks and stay in the defensive all the time. Mages would use the defensive stance all the time, as they need their melee damage only a little (not sure if you played some kind of mage in late versions of Neverwinter Nights 1, you had there a combat mode, something similar to stance, named Improved Expertise, that decreased your attack by 10, therefore your chance to hit by 50%, but increased your defence by 10, and therefore decreased your chance to get hit by 50%, and because more characters had a chance to get hit like 30% with proper gear, 30%-50%=-20%, rounded up to 5%, so anyone who sacrificed that much attack was almost impossible to hit, and mages got it for no penalty). Stances would make it only more annoying.
You are the only one who wants this, Xudo.

About the races, as alex23 said and I said before, it could be done without too much extra drawing through the code (we would have to make some elvish heads, human heads, orcish heads, etc, though), would give it more wesnoth-like feeling, and have some little effect on the game, without making orcish Wizards and elvish Barbarians impossible. This is why we might do more than just stereotype heroes (that would also make the initial decision of newbies often fatal, as somebody pointed out before).
Reply to Xudo's coomments in spoiler:
Although some details of Xudo's description were wrong or not discussed enough and disagreeing with my visions, but generally, the main thing that was not okay was the era thing. No era is needed. All things you assigned to it would basically be a resourcepack-like thing, that would inject the numerous events through a unit (because eras and modifications don't work in single player).

About skills, I have slightly reworked the existing ones to fit the changed attributes thing, and added all the remaining ones. I wanna see your opinions.
Here they are:
One new important thing, in order to decrease the size of save files (that would cause bloody lag and lengthen loading times), I have decided to 'simplify' it by adding a few custom tags, that would handle everything in events. This has several advantages and several disadvantages:
Advantages:
Less macro usage, everything just with custom WML tags
Avoids insane lag
I would probably write it faster, because lua code is shorter than WML
Disadvantages:
Forces me to learn lua (though it should not take much time regarding to the narrow variety of functions needed and total length)
Would be incomprehensible to too many people
Question
Data files, like lists of skills, graphic descriptions, item lists and so on would have to be written in lua as well in order to quicken it, and it would be quite comprehensible, but significantly different from WML. It might be done in WML as well and then read by lua, but this would still cause a noticeable lag. What should be chosen?

And I think that most things are decided already, I will start writing its core soon (probably tomorrow).
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Dugi wrote:Question
Data files, like lists of skills, graphic descriptions, item lists and so on would have to be written in lua as well in order to quicken it, and it would be quite comprehensible, but significantly different from WML. It might be done in WML as well and then read by lua, but this would still cause a noticeable lag. What should be chosen?
I think that all database should be written in lua.