[forum] Allow liking posts

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dugi

[forum] Allow liking posts

Post by Dugi »

I have noticed this interesting feature on some other forums and I have seen its usefulness when it was introduced.

The idea is that if you find a post helpful, instead of writing 'thank you', you can hit a like button to show that it helped you (the upvote would be publicly visible). Each user's received likes would be counted and shown publicly somewhere. This should have several advantages:
- creates positive competition to motivate people to help others
- when an idea is discussed, shows whose idea has more support
- allows easily telling a user who helps others and develops something from users who just discuss things, join MP tournaments and ask about stuff
- reduces the number of short posts like 'Thank you' or 'I agree with pizzafromlastweek's suggestions'

It would have to have some limitations, these forums shouldn't become facebook n°2. Like 1 like per day for normal users, 2 likes per day for forum regulars, contributors and such and unlimited for moderators and others with moderating power. Moderators could also be capable to remove likes they find too facebookish.
Xudo

Re: [forum] Allow liking posts

Post by Xudo »

Who will do all work?
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

There is a "Thank you" modification for phpBB that's easy to install and works very nicely. I'm running it at another place and it helps keep noise and database size down, while people still do their normal communication when they have something to say. So, I think this is a good idea - and no need to limit to X likes a day IMO.

However, a new version of phpBB came out today, so we should wait for after a possible upgrade and see what's available then.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I have no opinion about other "like" uses, but the "Thank You" feature looks to me very usefull, would be a nice adition.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I don't mind it being called 'Thank you', I just considered the facebookish 'like' more understandable. The point is the same.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Moved to Website.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Dugi wrote:I don't mind it being called 'Thank you', I just considered the facebookish 'like' more understandable. The point is the same.
They are basically the same function. "Thank you" mods have been around for a loooong time before Facebook introduced the "Like" terminology, but I guess people are more used to the Facebook stuff nowadays. Personally, I think a "Thanks you" has a more personal and polite flavour, and there is also less psychological pressure ("nobody likes me" is different from "nobody thanked me"). Or maybe I just don't "Like" Facebook :lol:
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

It's good news, that this thread wasn't locked as FPI.
Who is able to upgrade the forum? Is (s)he convinced?