War of Legends [MP Era for Wesnoth 1.16/1.18]

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

regnak

Re: War of Legends [MP Era for Wesnoth 1.10+]

Post by regnak »

Great thanks a lot!
Rhylla

Post by Rhylla »

Lately, I've been having problems starting all of the campaigns with this add-on. Every time I try to do so, I get an error in cfg file and unknown scenario error bug. I've tried replacing the cfg file in one of the campaigns, with limited results, as well as downloading different versions of the era as well, but none of the version you had on the website seem to have worked and I'm running out of ideas. Do you know what could have happened?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Rhylla wrote:Lately, I've been having problems starting all of the campaigns with this add-on. Every time I try to do so, I get an error in cfg file and unknown scenario error bug. I've tried replacing the cfg file in one of the campaigns, with limited results, as well as downloading different versions of the era as well, but none of the version you had on the website seem to have worked and I'm running out of ideas. Do you know what could have happened?
Give me the following details and I can work something out:
1. Which Wesnoth version do you play with? (WOL runs flawlessly on 1.11/1.12)
2. What's the era version?
3. Which campaign(s) were you trying to load?
4. A screenshot.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Rhylla

Post by Rhylla »

1. 1.11.2, I just switched from 1.11.16 to see if it was the version of Wesnoth that was doing it.
2. 1.1.5, though it was 1.1.51 on the higher version of Wesnoth.
3. A Song of Fire and Aria of the Dragon-slayer. Weirdly enough, the Legend Begins and War of the Jewel don't work either on 1.11.16, but on 1.11.2 they do...
4. Of the error message(s)?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Rhylla wrote: 3. A Song of Fire and Aria of the Dragon-slayer.
I should've known... :augh:
Please ask revansurik to change those obsolete codes in the _main.cfg files of his campaigns. There's a missing folder directory.
Weirdly enough, the Legend Begins and War of the Jewel don't work either on 1.11.16, but on 1.11.2 they do...
I haven't got the new Wesnoth version since I'm at the final semester of college, and well, I'm on a wesbreak. I'll investigate this later.
Implementor37

Post by Implementor37 »

Something is funny with the Wisp image:
What's with the "image not found" overlay under the Wisp sprite?
What's with the "image not found" overlay under the Wisp sprite?
BadWisp.PNG (207.92 KiB) Viewed 276433 times
This wisp is created using WML in the scenario itself...and that overlay stays no matter how many times the wisp moves. Any idea why this happens?
EDIT: probably has something to do with
stderr.txt wrote:' NO_TERRAIN_GFX ' defined
Author of End of the Legion, available now on the 1.12 and 1.13 servers!
Supporter of the addition of the Aragwaithi into mainline.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

I'm back from my Wesbreak! :D
This wisp is created using WML in the scenario itself...and that overlay stays no matter how many times the wisp moves. Any idea why this happens?
EDIT: probably has something to do with
Most players don't use debug mode in campaigns and so that problem is insignificant. However, it arises due to deprecated code. I'm updating WoL, starting with the animation syntax. This will be a long and tedious task, slowed by the development of HoI1 (the campaign that will start the 5 campaign series centring on Jahin and the Second Elemental War). :)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Version 1.1.7 has been uploaded to the servers today.
Spoiler:
I'm requesting all UMC creators who are using WoL as a dependency to update their add-ons to this release.
This release can be considered as a long term stable release (that is, it won't be needing any major updates). Now, I should get all the animations up to date.
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Huh, why'd you change the pretty neat-looking Roc to a blue-colored falcon? If it needed to be nerfed a bit you could've easily just toned down the existing Roc to a normal level 1.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Gyra_Solune wrote:Huh, why'd you change the pretty neat-looking Roc to a blue-colored falcon? If it needed to be nerfed a bit you could've easily just toned down the existing Roc to a normal level 1.
Hmm, maybe I should buff the Blue Falcon to a level 1. I might have removed the Roc because I thought it did not fit very well with the rest of the faction. Then again, if better graphics came along, I might change the faction recruit list again in a future release.
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Hmmmmm...some other general notes on balance:

- On the whole, I think the damage 'floor' is too high - almost every faction has a basic grunt unit that's doing a base damage of 24-ish as opposed to default where the norm is 20. However, HP values on the whole are still pretty much the same as default. Whereas typically in default it requires three units at the very least to defeat one unit in a single turn, and examples like the Loyalist Spearman and some of the Drakes are carefully-balanced exceptions for it being two units, here it seems like the base is two, which completely shakes up the dynamic of the game and greatly increases the odds that matches will be decided by how the RNG goes. This is only enhanced considering you have two factions that overall have much LOWER HP than normal, the Aragwaithi and Windsong. I would highly advise reducing the base strength most basic infantry units and having anything above 20 be rare edge cases. I'll define what I think should be damage floors when I talk on each faction.

- On the Aragwaithi, that problem is kind of there but not as much, because they're distinctly a glass cannon sort of faction, but I can't really say for certain. I think the Swordsman could stand to be 5-4 and have just a touch more HP, maybe 36-ish, since they turn into defensive units, while the Spearman ought to be more classified as the lightweight hunter and possibly brought down to 32 HP. On the Swordsman, the Guard also ought to have a little bit less HP since Steadfast more means each point of HP is worth more, so having it also be the highest-HP unit in the faction is a little much. Putting them below the Pikeman line might be a good idea. I suggest 48 and 60 for the Shield Guard.

- I'm a little bit uncertain on the Dark Legion as a whole? To me they look too much like 'the Loyalists, but Chaotic (also more powerful). In general they look a little bit boring too? I'd advise basing them around the absolutely fantastic-looking units from Era of Chaos (sans the Bowman who doesn't have much of a purpose with the Gunner around). I do think there's slightly too many units in the EoC Legion, of course, they probably don't need those weird drone things, but yeah.

- The Loyalist changes are a touch odd but I sort of get it, I suppose? Maybe tone the Infantryman down to 5-4? Don't get why they lost the Fencer too.

- Minotaurs are odd, for certain. I can't get a good handle on them. My thoughts in general: Up the Boar Rider line to 8 MP, and axe the Falcon entirely. Remove the swamp invisibility from the Gnolls but give them instead favorable movement on watery terrain. The Cutthroat is...odd. As is it's basically a weaker but slightly more resilient version of the Gore with a slowing attack. I dunno what to do with this one. Gore's a bit too powerful as mentioned...I like the idea of a 10-2 base melee, personally.

(will be more but things came up)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

- On the Aragwaithi, that problem is kind of there but not as much, because they're distinctly a glass cannon sort of faction, but I can't really say for certain. I think the Swordsman could stand to be 5-4 and have just a touch more HP, maybe 36-ish, since they turn into defensive units, while the Spearman ought to be more classified as the lightweight hunter and possibly brought down to 32 HP. On the Swordsman, the Guard also ought to have a little bit less HP since Steadfast more means each point of HP is worth more, so having it also be the highest-HP unit in the faction is a little much. Putting them below the Pikeman line might be a good idea. I suggest 48 and 60 for the Shield Guard.
Most balancing changes are copied directly from The Era of Chaos. However, if separated balancing changes are required, I will look into it.
- I'm a little bit uncertain on the Dark Legion as a whole? To me they look too much like 'the Loyalists, but Chaotic (also more powerful). In general they look a little bit boring too? I'd advise basing them around the absolutely fantastic-looking units from Era of Chaos (sans the Bowman who doesn't have much of a purpose with the Gunner around). I do think there's slightly too many units in the EoC Legion, of course, they probably don't need those weird drone things, but yeah.
Copied it directly from the base add-on (not Ageless Era). Didn't make any balancing changes apart from the Gunner's ranged damage and attack number and replacing Naga Fighters with Naga Guardians. The Gunner was probably a substitute for the mage, since the Dark Legion has no magic users. As story goes, the faction outlawed the practice of magic after the events of the First Elemental War. See Timeline.
The Loyalist changes are a touch odd but I sort of get it, I suppose? Maybe tone the Infantryman down to 5-4? Don't get why they lost the Fencer too.
Never really liked the Fencer. Never used it. So, I didn't add it. This version of Loyalists is probable my version of the faction, adapted to my play-style. If the Fencer should be made recruitable, please run a poll.
Minotaurs are odd, for certain. I can't get a good handle on them. My thoughts in general: Up the Boar Rider line to 8 MP, and axe the Falcon entirely. Remove the swamp invisibility from the Gnolls but give them instead favorable movement on watery terrain. The Cutthroat is...odd. As is it's basically a weaker but slightly more resilient version of the Gore with a slowing attack. I dunno what to do with this one. Gore's a bit too powerful as mentioned...I like the idea of a 10-2 base melee, personally.
The faction is mostly for my campaigns. I changed the stats of the Rouser-line (removed ranged attack, increased melee damage as compensation). The rest of it is unchanged from the Era of Strife (which is based on The Silver Lands and the region is supposed to be explored in my campaigns).
- On the whole, I think the damage 'floor' is too high - almost every faction has a basic grunt unit that's doing a base damage of 24-ish as opposed to default where the norm is 20. However, HP values on the whole are still pretty much the same as default. Whereas typically in default it requires three units at the very least to defeat one unit in a single turn, and examples like the Loyalist Spearman and some of the Drakes are carefully-balanced exceptions for it being two units, here it seems like the base is two, which completely shakes up the dynamic of the game and greatly increases the odds that matches will be decided by how the RNG goes. This is only enhanced considering you have two factions that overall have much LOWER HP than normal, the Aragwaithi and Windsong. I would highly advise reducing the base strength most basic infantry units and having anything above 20 be rare edge cases. I'll define what I think should be damage floors when I talk on each faction.
I made significant changes to the Windsong, so I am looking for more feedback on that faction. See change-log for the edits made.

Finally, thank you for taking an interest in offering some balancing tips. I thought nobody would ever reply to this thread again since the last post is from 5 months ago.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Any thoughts on replacing the Blue Falcon in the Minotaurs faction with the Mermaid Initiate/Hunter line?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Ramadan Mubarak, everyone!

To the people complaining about the Windsong faction in WoL being too weak:
Can you guys be less stupid and post feedback here where I can address them and not elsewhere? (A friend of mine told me about it)

Anyways, as suggested, here are the changes to the era before being ported to 1.14.
Spoiler:
It's 4:00 AM right now, so I will resume working on the last three unit-lines tomorrow. Good Night!
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 17th, 2018, 10:06 pm (A friend of mine told me about it)
:whistle: :lol:

Great to see the Windsong receiving some love - and thanks so much for the changes!
Now, I'm ok with Heretics and Warmongers getting 'enchanted' rather than 'magical', but I'll insist on two things:
a) Giving them both 60% defence on castle (they're not tanks, so giving them a slightly higher defence on that terrain shouldn't break them)
b) Make the Rune Forger's attacks magical (with the arbiter's magical/slowing attack + melee attack, there's absolutely no logical reason anyone would ever advance Savants to Rune Forger). Or maybe not give them 'magical' attack - but it's important to give them any advantage over the Arbiter, otherwise the Rune Forger will be effectively useless as a unit.

I'll also insist on what I said about the Weaver line needing some boosts... :whistle:
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)