git for wesnoth crash course

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

iceiceice

git for wesnoth crash course

Post by iceiceice »

Hi,

I wrote Git_for_Wesnoth_Crash_Course, intended to be a guide for contributors / devs who are new to git / github. I also made a link from DeveloperResources, and a matching one on StartingPoints. I hope it will save us alot of time explaining all of this to every new person over irc, and give us a place to document the guidelines we want newcomers to be aware of.

As I said earlier on irc, any thoughts, feedback, criticism, or revisions are welcome. The workflow which I encourage is to work locally in a topic branch, push this to a github fork repo, and merge via pull requests. I've found I make fewer mistakes when I do it this way instead of pushing directly to master, and this way the guide can be appropriate for contributors who don't have commit access as well.

~iceiceice~
vultraz
Developer

Re: git for wesnoth crash course

Post by vultraz »

I'm slightly weary of encouraging merging all work through pull requests. You can just merge it directly to master without the extra step; it's simpler and faster. Perhaps note that the pull request workflow is for if you're a new contributor (OR if you want other devs to look over your code first, or just prefer working that way), and explain the pull requests are no longer necessary if you acquire commit access.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
iceiceice

Re: git for wesnoth crash course

Post by iceiceice »