Looking for Amazonian Tribes art...

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
paxpan

Looking for Amazonian Tribes art...

Post by paxpan »

Hi everyone! I wonder if through all these years someone has designed some art remotely related to the amazonian forest inhabitans. Indian tribes, rubbertappers, landgrabbers, etc. I'm just starting a Campaign design for educational purposes, focusing on the indigenous resistance to dam constructions on the amazonian rivers. Already write the story line, now I need the art!
Just for info, I myself live on the amazonian basin, working for an NGO. My intenet link here is quite slow and erratic, so I just give up of searching myself on all the forum boards...
Any help will be greatly appreciated...

PS - If inspiration is needed: http://noticias.uol.com.br/album/2014/0 ... arimpo.htm
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Looking for Amazonian Tribes art...

Post by beetlenaut »

I have spent a long time looking for art on the forums and servers for my own work, and haven't seen anything like this. You could try installing Invasion from the Unknown though. It has a lot of human units, and you might find something useful there. Really, it shouldn't matter too much what artwork you use to get the game working. Sprites for things like thieves, fencers, footpads and woodsmen should make acceptable placeholders for your units. When everything is playable, then you can ask for artists to make something better. You might also find artists outside the Wesnoth community that would help you too--in your NGO for example. Nobody on these forums is going to make art for someone else's concept no matter how good the idea is.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
paxpan

Post by paxpan »

Thanks, beetlenaut, I think the human archers will do the trick. I've also been adviced to take a look on the factions of the ageless era, I'm downloading it right now.
I think in the next few weeks I will be able to present a working Campaign with 4-5 scenarios to the community and then request for art contributors...unfortunately my NGO lacks on graphic artists!
taptap

Post by taptap »

You may want to look into Era of Four Moons, only fantasy setting I know in Wesnoth even remotely akin to your needs. The art is unfortunately not as good as mainline, but on the other hand it features a cool full-length campaign called Panther Lord (which is in fact a story about a confrontation between a hunter-gatherer culture confronted by land-grabbing imperialists, but in a fantasy setting nonetheless).

Several stories are related thematically - could be elves defending their forest (several campaigns), saurians defending a swamp against dam building no less (Roar of the Woses campaign).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
paxpan

Post by paxpan »

taptap wrote:You may want to look into Era of Four Moons, only fantasy setting I know in Wesnoth even remotely akin to your needs. The art is unfortunately not as good as mainline, but on the other hand it features a cool full-length campaign called Panther Lord (which is in fact a story about a confrontation between a hunter-gatherer culture confronted by land-grabbing imperialists, but in a fantasy setting nonetheless).
I liked it, specially of the Darklanders...
taptap wrote:Several stories are related thematically - could be elves defending their forest (several campaigns), saurians defending a swamp against dam building no less (Roar of the Woses campaign).
I'm aware of that. In fact, the ideia of recreating the struggle for the forest came to me while playing one of that campaigns (cannot remember which one, exactly, it was a while ago). [edit]It was Roar of the Woses, actually[/edit]

Regarding the art, I think I'll go with the Tribalist of the Ageless Era...maybe mixing them with some Four Moon folks...we'll see, thanks for the helping hand!

PS: if you want to know something more about that real world campaign: http://globalvoicesonline.org/2015/01/0 ... le-part-1/
Last edited by paxpan on January 13th, 2015, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

beetlenaut wrote:...Nobody on these forums is going to make art for someone else's concept no matter how good the idea is.
A bit harsh, and its not true in 100%... I will not argue about the exact percentage, but if it was a true completely then Wesnoth would not have so many units portraits and animation... I would say if you want someone else has done your job you have to be patient, really patient.

As for the graphics stuff, its kinda time-consuming when you have no devices (thx which you could draw like on a piece of paper with a normal pencil) and you have to click on each pixel separately. If you don't make any "frankein" images and you draw from zero, on 72x72 image where atleast 15% of surface (if not more) you will have to click (which is 72x72*0,15= 5184*0,15 = 777,6) many pixels for one image (and animation of unit, have atleast 6 images, 1 base, 2 for defense, 3 for attack of one weapon). It's not only exhausting, but also boring while doing it. Using mouse it isn't as easy/fast as using a pencil to create on image what you want.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ChaosRider wrote:As for the graphics stuff, its kinda time-consuming when you have no devices (thx which you could draw like on a piece of paper with a normal pencil) and you have to click on each pixel separately.
You can draw curves and lines and shapes with a mouse too, if you know how to use your image editor and mouse correctly. If everyone drew pixel art by clicking on one pixel at a time then we’d still be stuck with Wesnoth 0.1’s graphics.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

If anybody has difficulties using the mouse for making pixel art, then they can take a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_pen

I thought about buying one for myself.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Cavalcadeur

Post by Cavalcadeur »

I've made this for your campaign. I'm not an artist. It's just a try. I don't know if it can be useful ...
Attachments
Amazonian tribes3.png
Amazonian tribes3.png (1.92 KiB) Viewed 4817 times