ForestDragon's Franken-Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ForestDragon

Re: ForestDragon's Art

Post by ForestDragon »

decided to go back to faerie spriting (this time i paid a lot more attention to wing shape (it's the race's trademark feature, also, wings easier to make, but more fun to mess around with))
new domain protector (old one's shield looked a bit out of place (considering it originaly belongs to a fully-clad merman hoplite :P ) and it took away the light fairy-ish feel (faerie men are supposed to be physically even weaker than elves)):
domain-protector-new.png
domain-protector-new.png (3.66 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
original for comparison
original for comparison
domain-protector.png (3.45 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
new naiad sprite (i renamed the original to siren, it looks to much like a lvl2)
naiad.png
naiad.png (3.31 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
original sprite
original sprite
siren.png (1.08 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

decided to make female sprites for Brigand line (since they now will have FoaP Rogue Knight as their opt. branch, also, since they are outlaw peasants, it's logical that it can be both men and women):
brigand+female.png
brigand+female.png (4.06 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
raider+female.png
raider+female.png (4.25 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
also, made male rogue knight (lvl3 has a helmet, so they use the same sprite for both genders):
rogue-knight.png
rogue-knight.png (4.2 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
the animations are in the era
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

ok, back to the topic i have forgotten for a while, the attack icons.
first, here is a tweaked version of the UMC Magic Icons' blade attack icon (i can't stand those red/yellow cables, those things weren't even invented back then :lol: , so i made them blue, the result looks much more smooth in my opinion)
astral-blade-1.png
astral-blade-1.png (8.19 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
astral-blade-2.png
astral-blade-2.png (8.52 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
astral-blade-3.png
astral-blade-3.png (9.14 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
and a scythe-on-a-chain-weapon-thing (such weapon is used by the minotaur faction, but their attack icon doesn't have a chain, only a thing, almost black stick :P ):
it looks quite eerie, doesn't it?
it looks quite eerie, doesn't it?
scythe-flail.png (4.83 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

interrupting mediocre-quality pixel art to bring you: mediocre-quality franken art, yay :P :lol: ^_^
here is a unit called Gobo Transport (or goblin transport) the unit is going to have a rightclick option to unload 3 goblin spearmen (also does that when the unit dies, but after that, the goblins are slowed and have only half of their health):
gobo-transport.png
gobo-transport.png (3.85 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
gobo-transport-moving.png
gobo-transport-moving.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
gobo-transport-attack.png
gobo-transport-attack.png (4.06 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
defend anim
gobo-transport-defend-1.png
gobo-transport-defend-1.png (3.72 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
gobo-transport-defend-2.png
gobo-transport-defend-2.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
EDIT: already made some of the ability code, and a lvl2, expect those changes in the next TGA release
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

made a projectile for this attack icon:
it's a horizontally mirrored version of the original
it's a horizontally mirrored version of the original
thorns-big.png (9.56 KiB) Viewed 3871 times
here is the projectile itself:
thorns-big.png
thorns-big.png (753 Bytes) Viewed 3871 times
thorns-big-ne.png
thorns-big-ne.png (1.35 KiB) Viewed 3871 times
i made them mostly for the lvl4-5 shyde i use
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Your images are very good and I think you know that.

Just a small comment regarding animal cruelty here: poor wolf!
It would be difficult to draw this as one image and we all know how people get crazy when anyone mentions a unit which covers multiple tiles :augh: but I imagine Goblins doing this in 2 ways:

1: they'd crudely fashion a sort of sleigh thing (actually just a bit "A" made of sticks with some rubbish tacked on, maybe spikes or in more advanced versions, shields) which they'd fasten behind the wolf to drag along, then 1 Gobbo would ride the wolf while the rest pack themselves into the trailer. No wheels, no skis, just stricks that drag on the groud knocking Goblins flying every time they go over a rock (often).

2: they'd get a really big wolf, and I mean BIG, like direwolf size, then one would ride, maybe 2 and about 4-6 Gobbos would just hold on and run like hell, attaching themselves to the main, tail etc. Again, they'd fall off or get trampled/eaten by the wolves, but it would get more Goblins into battle faster.

I can imagine the 2 ideas I suggested featuring in the campaign as a "prop" - not an actual unit which fights but something which exists in the story part of the senario before disgorging a small Goblin horde and running off. Kind of like a wagon or something.
For an actual fighting unit I don't know what I'd do, maybe what you've done but with a bigger more muscular wolf.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

ok, been a while since i last posted here, so, here is a bob anim for Spook from The Founding of Borstep (and now my era too):
spook-bob-1.png
spook-bob-1.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
spook-bob-2.png
spook-bob-2.png (1.73 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
spook-bob-3.png
spook-bob-3.png (1.76 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

I wonder, this Spook coold be good level0 for level1 Poltergeist (or level1 to level2), but it does not fit to current Ghost-Wraith line (I think that my level0 ghost fits better). So probably Spook -> Poltergeist line should be totally independent line.
I cant see your era's current tree because you still have not fixed the bug for Wesnoth Unit Database, fix it finally!
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Aldarisvet wrote: ... you still have not fixed the bug for Wesnoth Unit Database, fix it finally!
The question is, what is the actual cause for this bug ?
Try out the dark board theme.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Aldarisvet wrote:I wonder, this Spook coold be good level0 for level1 Poltergeist (or level1 to level2), but it does not fit to current Ghost-Wraith line (I think that my level0 ghost fits better). So probably Spook -> Poltergeist line should be totally independent line.
well, i don't really see anything wrong with it's consistency with ghost line, it's kinda like saying 'peasant doesn't fit the spearman line!' but this time, it matters even less. about spook advancing to poltergeist, Spook already has it as opt. advancement
Shiki wrote:
Aldarisvet wrote: ... you still have not fixed the bug for Wesnoth Unit Database, fix it finally!
The question is, what is the actual cause for this bug ?
i kinda feel so myself
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

ok, so i decided to go back to the undead HI tweak, and improving it even more, this time i decided to add a bit more variety in the kind of damage the armor has taken and not just large scratches:
1.left and middle spikes on the helmet are partly sliced off
2.shield has some cuts on it's metal outline thing
3.the part of the helmet is bended inside a bit (somebody hit him in the head or something)
undead-heavy-infantry.png
undead-heavy-infantry.png (177.47 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
GoatGoat

Post by GoatGoat »

ForestDragon wrote:decided to make female sprites for Brigand line (since they now will have FoaP Rogue Knight as their opt. branch, also, since they are outlaw peasants, it's logical that it can be both men and women):
brigand+female.png
raider+female.png
also, made male rogue knight (lvl3 has a helmet, so they use the same sprite for both genders):
rogue-knight.png
I really like the Raider/Brigand designs. Have you done anything like that for a non-mounted unit line?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

GoatGoat wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:decided to make female sprites for Brigand line (since they now will have FoaP Rogue Knight as their opt. branch, also, since they are outlaw peasants, it's logical that it can be both men and women):
brigand+female.png
raider+female.png
rogue-knight.png
I really like the Raider/Brigand designs. Have you done anything like that for a non-mounted unit line?
thanks! well, i made them since the old brigand didn't really fit with current graphical quality, and i used him in my era, so basically i made them for my era, but feel free to use it if you want. Well brigand is probably the first unit i updated art for. male version on a page before. female version is to make advancement into Rogue Knight from FoaP possible.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

well, decided to improve a bit the eloh sprite made by the our N1 UMC sprite artist: ZEROVIRUS!!! which i decided to use as a light faerie:
light-faerie.png
light-faerie.png (2.84 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
i decided to make her have a longer dress, since the old one looked like Yechanagoth (or whatever) went into our universe, and stolen a bikini :lol:

to me the dress i put over her now looks like a slab of metal (i mean very flat) can someone point out what's wrong?
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

You could have it go straight down at the bottom for gravity, or make it hug her body a bit. Dresses also usually have some folds or creases, so you could try playing with the shading.