Bitron's Art Thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
taptap

Re: Vilkai Art Thread

Post by taptap »

I don't understand why you completely changed the direction of the head just for putting on the wolf head, as is the wolf headed guy looks like standing on guard, while the one without headgear looks like leading troops (looking SE and showing the direction with the spear). Regarding your discussion: Keep in mind that the game flips them automatically depending on circumstance (last movement direction). So you will have sprites looking in both directions when you mass units and move around.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Another little experiment:
Since shamanism is deeply rooted in vilkai culture and I am still not satisfied with having naga for water control, I thought something different.
How about ancestrals? I noticed, that it is not a new idea, but still, it would fit the need of water control and history/culture of the vilkish people.

Here is a first attempt. What do you think?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

looks good to me. Not sure how to make them unique stat-wise, considering that Feral has arcane melee, and it wouldn't be a good idea to make them a copy of the mainline ghosts stat-wise.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

I don't understand the concept, but the sprite is cool :D
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

The ghosts of the undead faction are kinda evil, but that does not mean that ghosts are evil in general, right?

So what about a neutral with 5-2 'burning touch' (fire) (drain),no ranged attack and Heal+4. That would differ it it from the other ghosts I know.
Of course Shamans would then not be able to heal anymore. It would not give much more onto the drakes which is my main concern.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Bitron wrote:The ghosts of the undead faction are kinda evil, but that does not mean that ghosts are evil in general, right?
I agree
Bitron wrote:So what about a neutral with 5-2 'burning touch' (fire) (drain),no ranged attack and Heal+4. That would differ it it from the other ghosts I know.
Of course Shamans would then not be able to heal anymore. It would not give much more onto the drakes which is my main concern.
I think drains isn't really necessary. How about this for lvl1 (in detail):
I don't want to take up much space with this, so I put it in a spoiler:
If we are going to have it's stats like this, I suggest adding some fire to the unit's sprite (maybe flames in his hands?), also, right now the sprite looks too much like your average evil ghost.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Just really not good with fire... here is a second one. Also, I lightened up the robe a bit to appear less evil.

I had it like this yesterday:
Spoiler:
ForestDragon wrote:How about this for lvl1 (in detail):
I'd like to stick with common resistances/defenses (steps of 10). Also, note that elves also have a weakness for arcane due to their magical background. Arcane is not a weakness of evil units but of magical creatures.
So, Pierce, Impact, Blade 50% | Fire 10% | Arcane -10 | Cold 70% seems good to me.
I'd keep cold at 70% because they might use fire, but they are still ghosts. they don't freeze. ^^

For the highter resistances, I'd lower the HP a little, like 23 maybe? Ghosts only have 18 HP but drain in addition. 26 HP would be even more than my shamans have and they don't have awesome resistences.

Here is a second version:
Spoiler:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

your stat version sounds pretty good to me. but I think it should have 20% fire resistance, but only 60% cold resistance, though.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

It uses fire and it would be a little counter to the overall fire weakness of the vilkai. You're right, i'll set fire resistance to 20%.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

You seem to have a concept for the spirit already, but can I add another concept?
A sort of Ice-spirit with regeneration instead of heal (maybe just regen on ice and water). It can still have fire-resistance as the spirit is cold enough to extinguish any flame. Fire attack wouldn't fit though.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

You seem to have a concept for the spirit already, but can I add another concept?
A sort of Ice-spirit with regeneration instead of heal (maybe just regen on ice and water). It can still have fire-resistance as the spirit is cold enough to extinguish any flame. Fire attack wouldn't fit though.
Unfortunately, the main damage types are arcane and pierce. Drakes do already have a hard time against the vilkai and when an icy ghost comes along, they won't stand a chance.
It is an interesting idea, though. Maybe for another faction... 8)
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

I like what you have here so far! A couple of thoughts:

It would be a bit slow on water with standard-ghost movement though, and since the idea for them is water-control, it might seem like an odd choice.

I think the original image looked more ghost-like. I think it has to do with the dissipation (is that the right word?) of the lower half.
Bitron wrote:The ghosts of the undead faction are kinda evil, but that does not mean that ghosts are evil in general, right?

So what about a neutral...
I'm not really a fan of the Chaotic/Lawful alignment labels, because they can be misleading, but at the same time I don't have anything better to suggest in their place.

Anyhow, I hope my opinions are useful. I'm sure you have your own reasons for making things the way they are, so don't change them just because I think they should be changed.
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Vulpine wrote:I'm not really a fan of the Chaotic/Lawful alignment labels, because they can be misleading, but at the same time I don't have anything better to suggest in their place.
Well something like nocturnal instead of chaotic would sound pretty good to me. for lawful, probably the opposite of nocturnal (don't know the word), not sure about neutral.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Vulpine wrote:It would be a bit slow on water with standard-ghost movement though, and since the idea for them is water-control, it might seem like an odd choice.
Well then they have poor water control. The vilkai are pretty strong already, that might be a weakness.
Vulpine wrote:I think the original image looked more ghost-like. I think it has to do with the dissipation (is that the right word?) of the lower half.
It is still a little experimental. I'll have a look and see what I can do.
Vulpine wrote:I'm not really a fan of the Chaotic/Lawful alignment labels, because they can be misleading, but at the same time I don't have anything better to suggest in their place.
Right, beeing chaotic does not necessarily mean beeing evil. Maybe changing the Spirit back to chaotic would give a little more depth to them since all others are neutral.
ForestDragon wrote:Well something like nocturnal instead of chaotic would sound pretty good to me. for lawful, probably the opposite of nocturnal (don't know the word), not sure about neutral.
Funny thing. It's "diurnal". ^^
ForestDragon wrote:I noticed that the Feral line is...
I tried to avoid the blade type as another weakness and when their attack was magical, ferals were still effective quite against elusive units, even though loyalists have a 20% resistance on arcane.
But you might be right, arcane is difficult to handle as one of the "main" damage types. I'll try it as you suggested and see how it works.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Attempt number three. (before/after)
ImageImage

Not sure though. What about giving him a burning sword?