Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Embuck

Embuck's sprite attempts

Post by Embuck »

Hello, all who enter here.
This is a thread for my feeble first attempts at sprite art, mainly for my under construction campaign. So far I have two sprites, both of the same character, though at different times.
unmasked, later in the story
unmasked, later in the story
gawien-thief.png (3.72 KiB) Viewed 5337 times
the same character masked
the same character masked
gawien-thief-hooded.png (3.58 KiB) Viewed 5337 times
I realize they need work. Any criticism for proceeding about that work is highly appreciated.

P.S. They're based off the elvish hunter sprite from IftU.
P.P.S. I do plan to enlarge the masked head; I'm just not sure how.
Vulpine

Re: Embuck's sprite attempts

Post by Vulpine »

I'm no pixel artists in my own right, but I think you did a fine job there!
I don't know how you would enlarge the head other than by drawing it in yourself :( Maybe you can just add to the current head, expanding the hood and the face up and slightly to the left, moving facial features (eyes) with it. (You'll want to enlarge the mask too.)
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

If you aren't sure how to draw a bigger hood you could just copy from the mainline units. Some of the mages and outlaws have good ones; They just need to be recoloured.
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

Thanks for the advice. I don't like to copy things directly, but I'll have a closer look at those hoods. In fact, looking at the one in Vyncyn's avatar, I see that I could use shadow above the face... I'm also going switch the sword out for a dagger, and darken the un-hooded one's boots. I'll be back later with new ones! :)
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

So, the latest model, complete with new daggers and a larger hood! :)
gawien-thief.png
gawien-thief.png (3.66 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
gawien-thief-hooded.png
gawien-thief-hooded.png (4.31 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
The head on the second is still smaller, but it might be because elves have poofy hair. Maybe...
They probably need more work; I'm not quite sure where... Critique, anyone?
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Those are pretty neat.

One thing I'd mention is that these look like defensive frames, like the unit is brandishing the knife to fend off an attacker. That's not the way that you'd hold a knife if you were either just standing of if you were about to attack with it.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

You're right...
She's based off the Elvish Hunter, where she'd be holding a sword in about that position. But she's a shady character, at this point... a thief... she'd probably have her arm lower, more like the mainline thief.
She's in more of a fencing pose right now... fencing with a little dagger! :lol:
And thanks for the compliments.
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

How's this?
gawien-thief.png
gawien-thief.png (2.81 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
gawien-thief-hooded.png
gawien-thief-hooded.png (4.24 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Couple of things, though you shouldn't take my word for it;
Un-hooded Gawien's head does look quite poofy because of the hair, and in my opinion at least it's a bit off-setting, but this is just my personal opinion on it.
Hooded Gawien could use a bit of hair sticking out of the hood, like the white mage. Or maybe not if the hood is meant to be that far forward. Again, my personal opinion.
And I think both of them could use brighter highlights; look at Vyncyn's avatar again, or at the mainline assassin sprites; they have dark clothing, but their highlights are plenty bright. Not sure if I expressed myself clearly, but that's my advice. (Should I say it? Should I say it? Eh, why not?) Remember, this is all the opinion of one person, who knows probably about as much as you about spriting, perhaps less. So my word is not law :)

All in all, they look really nice! Better than many sprites I have seen, so keep up the good work!

(Ehrm, I wrote this before you posted your latest post, so I didn't take your new poses into account. :oops: )
So about your poses: Their right arm sticking out looks kinda funny, maybe look at the female thief sprite. But I don't think it's a big issue. Still looking good!
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

Thanks for your take on it.
I kind of didn't like the hair either, but with more consideration, it's actually natural. Her hood gets pulled off, so I think the static would poof her hair at least that much.
The hood is meant to be pretty far forward. She doesn't want anyone to really see her face, and especially her hair.
Good point in the highlights. She can look "dark, with life and spirit," (brighter highlights) or "dark and drab" as she does now.
And that arm. I was hoping it would work out naturally, but it didn't. I tried that stance, and I'd either have my right arm up, guarding, or out like the thief's, for balance.
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

Changed the right arm, but I'll wait on the highlights until I hear opinions on that arm.
gawien-thief.png
gawien-thief.png (2.9 KiB) Viewed 5188 times
gawien-thief-hooded.png
gawien-thief-hooded.png (4.47 KiB) Viewed 5188 times
I'm not really tickled about either new arm.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Embuck wrote:gawien-thief.png
I think there needs to be 'more arm'; the length seems like upper arm + hand, so the lower arm could be added?
I have a cunning plan.
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

The latest, with brighter highlights and better right arms.
gawien-thief.png
gawien-thief.png (3.62 KiB) Viewed 5151 times
gawien-thief-hooded.png
gawien-thief-hooded.png (4.49 KiB) Viewed 5151 times
There's still something wrong... I can't quite make out what.
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Perhaps it is the angle of the arms? To me it feels like the body is facing you while the arms are turned like they are facing SE... which would be a good opportunity to try twisting the body so it matched the arms instead of the other way around :) There are plenty of female sprites that are angled properly, and they can be wonderful reference.

The top one's right arm looks a bit... off? Like it's hunched? I'm not sure. Maybe it's the lighting? It seems ever so slightly off for both sprites I think. Also your outlines are a bit thick there. I suggest looking at the rest of the sprite's outlining.

One more thing: in the unhooded version there is a bit of the cloak still showing. It seems a bit out of place without the rest of the cloak, though if it is on purpose, ignore me :)

Keep improving! It's looking ever better!
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

I was hoping that angle issue would clear up on its own. I thought it might end up like a Taekwondo fighting stance... it didn't. Plus, that's not the kind of stance I want. I want her to look more... casual, but poised. I'm off to look up female sprites. :)
I think the right arm's just a bit thin. They're both the same, but it doesn't really show on the hooded one because of the dark cloak.
I did try putting a cloak on the unhooded, to see if it would aid things. It didn't, so I took it off. Could you point out the bit I left?
This is one Elvish Hunter sprite that will change a lot!