Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Wussel

CC is fair game now!

Post by Wussel »

From the newest release notes:

This release also will come alongside a long-pending and exciting change: we now allow Creative Commons-licensed music and art content to be uploaded to the Add-ons Server! This does not mean existing music or art is relicensed in any way, nor does it mean you are forced to use a CC license when uploading. It simply means UMC authors will have access to a wider range of resources to make their creations even better. You can find more details here.

Does it mean we can use any CC art in any add-on for any version of Wesnoth?

Here is an example of awesome CC art:

http://realmofstrife.wikispaces.com/Classes
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: CC is fair game now!

Post by Pentarctagon »

When you upload an add-on, you have to click through an acceptance popup that you have permission to upload the art/music/code assets. If that popup says GPL and CC licenses are acceptable, then you can use both. Otherwise, the popup asks that you have permission to upload all assets under the GPL, which you can't do for things solely under a CC license.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

The CC0 summary says
You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission. See Other Information below.
Does that give me permission to distribute a derivative of a CC0 work under the GPL v2?
I only read the "human-readable summary". I glanced over the full text, but not very closely. From what I saw it didn't appear to say anything about relicensing.
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Which CC licenses can be used?
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

That's a great improvement.This will make the life easier for add-on developers :). Thank you for adding this option.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Vulpine wrote:Does that give me permission to distribute a derivative of a CC0 work under the GPL v2?
No.I missed the part about it being a derivative, see below.
FaeLord wrote:Which CC licenses can be used?
All of them.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Pentarctagon wrote:
Vulpine wrote:Does that give me permission to distribute a derivative of a CC0 work under the GPL v2?
No.
Actually, yes, it does, as long as it’s CC0, since it’s really just a more generalized version of the public domain status for jurisdictions where the concept does not exist or doesn’t work the same way. Regardless of its legality, however, it is not considered proper form to arbitrarily relicense other people’s work, and since CC0 is compatible with the GNU licenses it’d be better if you retained the CC0 material’s authorship and licensing information somewhere.

(Note that this is specific to CC0. It does not apply to any of the other CC licenses.)

Ultimately, from a purely moral standpoint, proper attribution is paramount regardless of the license of the content you’re using, even if it’s the GNU GPL.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

shadowm wrote:
Pentarctagon wrote:No.
Actually, yes, it does, as long as it’s CC0, since it’s really just a more generalized version of the public domain status for jurisdictions where the concept does not exist or doesn’t work the same way. Regardless of its legality, however, it is not considered proper form to arbitrarily relicense other people’s work, and since CC0 is compatible with the GNU licenses it’d be better if you retained the CC0 material’s authorship and licensing information somewhere.

(Note that this is specific to CC0. It does not apply to any of the other CC licenses.)

Ultimately, from a purely moral standpoint, proper attribution is paramount regardless of the license of the content you’re using, even if it’s the GNU GPL.
Actually, after doing a little more reading (on Wikipedia, of course), it looks like you could do the same with a derivative of CC-BY, since it lacks the ShareAlike (SA) option.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I just wish to comment to anyone stumbling upon this that the "ND" clause could be an issue, judging from the status quo. "BY" would also require a change in current behaviour, but the No Derivatives clause could be more of a trap. If you don't know from where the original image came, think twice before using it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects