Let’s Play Invasion from the Unknown 2.0 (Parts I and II)

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mousyack

Re: Let’s Play Invasion from the Unknown 2.0 (Parts I and II

Post by mousyack »

Sudipta wrote:I thought bats were the most awesome unit type
I can see how people love them when they're theirs and hate them when they're hostile. The latter being much more often the case so...
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

I m really looking forward for you to finish this campain, because I failed, I lost too many units in last r pre-last scenario, and I was not able to go on. For dungeon crawl style, I prefere dwarfs... and I hate hate really hate those terrible drones!
It s really cool to read this. :-)
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

(This update took a while because I was sick last week.)
mousyack wrote:I for one actually got so fed up with this tactic that I lost two veterans to Elyssa's brutal leadership in 22A as a result
I'm impressed you finished the campaign after losing two veterans so early - I found 22B really hard even with all my veterans alive!
Sudipta wrote:I thought bats were the most awesome unit type for you
Well, I only like the friendly ones :D
Delicius169 wrote:I m really looking forward for you to finish this campain, because I failed, I lost too many units in last r pre-last scenario
That's too bad; this happened to me too the first time I played IftU (had to replay several scenarios in the last section).
S 22B – Dark Hive
[Third attempt- Mal Keshar got mobbed by drones during the first boss fight; then Elynia got killed in the second boss fight.]

We continue the conversation from the end of last scenario about Elynia and Mal Keshar summoning the power of the Union.

Elynia tries to convince Mal Keshar to risk his (un)life for the greater good. Unsurprisingly, he isn't too excited about the idea.

This scenario consists of a really long dungeon crawl full of drones, and a series of difficult boss fights. With even more drones, for good measure.

Turn 1

Mal Keshar finally agrees to help though (turns out he’s a nice guy after all!)

The path splits into a southern and eastern one; however in this scenario there are tons of constantly respawning drones so it’s best to stick together, move quickly, and not send units exploring on their own.
The southern path is full of bad terrain like water and caves, so everyone heads east (but you can go either way.)

Turn 3

Heading east, we come across a gallery of drones.

Turn 5

The path turns south. There are also lots of creepy looking shaxthal worms which will randomly fly around and attack any unit they happen to land next to.

Turn 9

We start heading south, making very slow progress due to the cave terrain and drones everywhere! :augh:

I guess on the bright side, we’re getting a lot of XP.

Turn 10

The path splits up; however the western and eastern paths don’t go anywhere useful (they lead to dead ends with tons of enemies, and a couple glyphs with some backstory) so everyone will go straight south.

Turn 13

Following the southern path we come across a couple of my favorite enemy units: the door. ;)

Turn 16

We open the door, though these doors always have something nasty behind them and you'd think we'd have learned to just leave them closed.

See what I mean...there are also a ton of drones surrounding the area, and Elyssa will recruit even more.

In order to defeat Elyssa, we'll need to summon the power of the Union.

Turn 17

Elynia and Mal Keshar move next to each other to chat.

They won’t be able to move or attack for the next 4 turns, so it's best to move them off the front lines before moving them next to each other.

Turn 18

In the meantime we camp in the bottleneck getting rid of drones.

Turn 21

The 4 turns are up - let's see if anything interesting has happened.
Looks like we've finally managed to achieve the legendary Union! This better be good.

As if they weren't OP enough before, Elynia and Mal Keshar now have +20 HP and a 29-3 arcane magical attack!!! Mal Keshar eloquently sums up my exact thoughts on the matter.

Meanwhile Galas still has his crappy sword and bow attacks…maybe he should just go home now?

Turn 22

Before trying to take on Elyssa, we'll first need to lure off those surrounding drones, because Elyssa by herself is already dangerous enough.

Turn 24

Once we get rid of the nearby drones, a brave necromancer lures out Elyssa.

Enemy turn:
Hey, we didn’t attack her; she attacked us!!
Elyssa will absorb all non-Union damage (but slowing her still works, so it’s definitely a good idea to slow her before using the Union).

Turn 25

Elynia slows the warlord so that Mal Keshar can use the Union on her. (Elynia and Mal Keshar have to be adjacent to use the Union, and the Union uses up the moves/attacks of both of them.)

Turn 26

Elyssa runs away and Elynia and Mal Keshar get pummeled by a couple drones.

We clear out the drones and slow Elyssa again, this time using an about to AMLA shyde. (Probably the most effective- but admittedly cheap- tactic for the difficult boss fights in this scenario is to deliberately leave units a few XP from advancing so they’ll automatically heal after attacking the boss.)

Mal Keshar and Elynia stay back to heal since they’re too wounded to attack Elyssa and survive the next turn.

Turn 27

Everyone gangs up on Galas, who fortunately survives. Annoyingly, through regenerating and attacking, Elyssa has already healed herself back up to full HP.

We slow Elyssa with the shyde again and Union with Elynia.

Turn 28

Yet another shyde slowing + Union later…

Elyssa will run away once she’s around half health, so we'll have to track her down and defeat her again.

Most of the passages are blocked, so the only way forward is the two southwest doors.

Turn 32

The doors lead down some narrow passages toward a large area infested with drones and zephyrs.

I make a line formation, with Elynia being the only unit exposed to 3 hexes, who should be fine because she will illuminate the zephyrs (and she now has massive HP!).
On the left, the two corpses finally get put to good use, acting as distractions for the zephyrs.

Turn 33

The corpse died valiantly last turn, though everyone important is doing just fine.

Due to some bad RNG, we don’t manage to kill off all the nearby enemies, but we should be fine anyway, especially with the soulless on the village acting as a distraction again.

Turn 34

The soulless got fried, and we’re also being flanked by a couple of drones which respawned in the north.

Fortunately, those were the last of the enemies around here. We can now proceed southwest.

Turn 37

We come to a narrow path surrounded by chasms. There are a bunch of hives across the chasms which spawn (you guessed it...) drones, so as usual in this scenario it pays to be paranoid and advance slowly.

Due to some extremely bad RNG we barely manage to kill anything. Far in the south, we get a glimpse of where that annoying warlord has run off to!

Turn 38

We continue to get swarmed by enemies, but fortunately everyone’s still alive.

I think we’ve finally managed to get rid of most of them!

Turn 40

The southwest area across the chasm has several assault drones, so we proceed cautiously and lure them out one at a time.

Turn 41

Once we get rid of the surrounding drones, it’s time to take on the warlord again. Galas offers himself as bait (pretty much all he’s good for these days).

Turn 42

Elyssa takes the bait, we slow her with a shyde, and Mal Keshar once again demonstrates his awesomeness by getting full hits with the Union!

Turn 43

This time the other shyde slows her, and Elynia uses the Union…

Not again!!! Once Elyssa gets low on health she’ll run off again and we’ll have to track her down.

Turn 47

We start heading east, where a bunch of enemies are coming at us from across the chasm!

We clear out the nearby drones, and form a line.

Turn 48

Everyone ganged up on the spectre, who manages to survive.

We get rid of the nearby enemies and form a line again. The exposed spectre is about to AMLA and heal so he’s actually completely safe.

Turn 49

The main wave of enemies is gone now so we start heading east, where the path splits into a northeastern and southern path.

Turn 51

The northeastern path goes past some drones and curves south.

Turn 54

Meanwhile, the southern path curves east and leads to the same place as the northern path.

Those skilled in pattern recognition can likely guess what's behind the shroud...

Turn 56

It's Elyssa with a horde of drones again! She's also gotten more powerful in the meantime.

Turn 57

As usual, we first try to lure off and get rid of the surrounding drones.

Turn 58

A necromancer on the left lures out Elyssa…

Turn 59

The necromancer was about to AMLA, so he got a full heal from being attacked.

And fortunately for us, Elyssa can now be damaged by non Union attacks!

Elynia slows Elyssa so Mal Keshar can blast her (they were also both about to AMLA and got a free full heal.)

Turn 60

Note to self: Elyssa has level 5 leadership, which is nasty when combined with drones! The necromancer gets lucky though and barely survives.

Elyssa’s pretty low on health, so we’ll try to finish her off this turn.

As usual, we start off by slowing her.

Once she's slowed, we blast her with Mal Keshar and then bring in the nightgaunt from the north to backstab her.

Full hits! Now she can be finished off with a single Union hit from Elynia.

FINALLY

We get a little bit of backstory; apparently she was a historian before Uria showed her that being a mass murderer is a much more interesting and profitable career.

She then offers to tell us the way to the Emperor in exchange for her life.
After ALL the trouble we just went through to defeat her, I don’t think so.

What?!! We seem to have a disturbing habit of letting extremely dangerous enemies live...

Well actually, Mal Keshar only became awesome after he became a lich!

Miraculously, all the veterans made it through this scenario.

There is a spectre with over 50 HP, and it isn’t even the most overpowered unit on this list! 8)
Attachments
IftU-The_Dark_Hive_replay.gz
(140.58 KiB) Downloaded 601 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

So, are you planning to do an AtS let's play? (it's IftU's sequel)
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
mousyack

Post by mousyack »

Inky wrote:I'm impressed you finished the campaign after losing two veterans so early - I found 22B really hard even with all my veterans alive!
Haven't done the emperor fight, got a theory on how I might be able to do it but haven't got around to testing it. Will try one more time before reading your playthrough, I guess.

Also, I'm playing on normal :P
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

ForestDragon wrote:So, are you planning to do an AtS let's play?
Yes, I hope so! (It seems an update is coming so I'll probably wait until then.)
mousyack wrote:Haven't done the emperor fight... Will try one more time before reading your playthrough, I guess.
Good luck :)
S 23A – Into the Lair
Finally, a change of scenery from all the drone hives! (Don’t worry, we’ll be seeing the drone hives again soon enough…)

This is a pretty easy scenario; the main challenge is not getting lost in the huge mazes later.

Turn 3

We start following the path south, encountering only a few scattered demon zephyrs.

Turn 5

Followed by a couple hell guardians. Compared to the previous scenario, this is a relaxing stroll in the park.

Turn 7

Some pathetic enemies are guarding the doors. They really need to review their security around here...

Turn 8

Let's see if their security behind the doors is any better.

Turn 10

I have to say, this is a pretty pathetic showing for the Chaos Empire so far. Most of their guys are still level 1!

Still, better safe than sorry. We’ll use our favorite cunning and innovative (ahem) tactic of camping in the bottleneck until they're gone.

Turn 14

(Several exciting and action packed cough turns later)
About halfway there…

Turn 17

Finally! We can enter the lair now.
We get a friendly greeting accompanied by the chaos emperor's signature evil laugh.

He's just jealous

We cautiously move into the lair and get a glimpse of the two enemy leaders here.

There's a gate blocking our way to the exit in the south, which we will need to find some way to open.

Turn 19

First we work on the southern enemy leader:
A shyde slows him, conveniently healing to full in the process.

Then Galas and Elynia finish him off.

Turn 20

Next we turn our attention to the northern leader. Conveniently, there’s a wounded invoker in the enemy leader’s range…

…so we turn him into instant corpse bait!

Enemy turn:
The leader takes the corpse bait, and a whole ton of new enemies come flooding out of the west.

Among them is a freaky looking...chicken?

The cockatrices are really more of an inconvenience than anything, as long as you keep Elynia out of their range, since she's the only one who can cure the petrification status.

Turn 21

We get rid of the purple enemy leader and make a line formation.

Turn 22

The giant horde of drones starts to arrive. We form a line and put Elynia next to the two spectres in case they get petrified, since they can be reached by the cockatrices.

Turn 23

A great turn - our awesome lich destroyed all of the assault drones in retaliation, and those annoying cockatrices can now be devoured by the spectres (arcane melee is the best way to take them out).

There are still of bunch of enemies around so we just stay in line formation.

Turn 24

Most of the level 1 drones did us a favor and destroyed themselves by attacking Mal Keshar, so we just need to clean up the few remaining enemies.

Now all that's left is the rayblades, who seem to be on some group sightseeing tour in the northern castle.

Turn 26

We deal with the remaining enemies here, and then split up into two groups: one group will explore the southwest cave passage and the other will explore north.

Turn 30

The northern group enters a drone hive with some demons and an enemy leader.

The southern group discovers the other enemy leader, and the path splits into a northern path (which leads to the same place as the northern group) and a southern path.

Turn 32

After killing the southern leader, we start exploring the massive hive to the south.

Turn 35

In the north, we’ve been cautiously staying out of the cockatrice’s range (since Elynia isn’t around to unpetrify units), and picking off drones.
I carefully position the spectre and lich so they can both attack the cockatrice next turn and hopefully kill it before it petrifies anyone.

Turn 36

Success! With that annoying cockatrice out of the way we can start advancing in the north.

Meanwhile in the south, we are slowly clearing out enemies in the hive.

Turn 37

Once we've cleared out most of the drones, we start exploring the rest of the hive.

It turns out to be just a bunch of dead ends filled with drones, but we at least get a lot of XP from killing the drones.

Turn 41

Meanwhile in the north, we’ve killed the leader and start to explore the huge maze of passages.

We spend several turns exploring the western area, which unfortunately turns out to be a dead end with nothing (there are lots of these…) so everyone will head north next.

Turn 46

We start to explore the northernmost area. It's the only place we haven't looked yet, so there better be something here!

Turn 47

YES WE FINALLY FOUND SOMETHING

Turn 48

…only to find that the only ones who can activate the glyph are wayyyy in the south. :augh: :( :doh:

(10 turns later, in which Elynia runs north to the glyph and everyone else heads south to the exit gate...)

Turn 58

Glyph activated! Now that the exit gate in the south is opened, we can finally go somewhere! ……is what I naively believed.

Turn 60

We head through the southern exit gate...
Aghhhh! These cockatrices have been breeding like rabbits over here!! ...And Elynia, the only one who can cure petrification, is all the way in the north now. :doh:

(Several more turns later...)

Turn 63

Elynia hurries south while everyone else runs away from the cockatrices before they get turned into statues. Everyone sure is getting a lot of exercise this scenario!

Turn 65

We start getting rid of the cockatrices, and then make a frantic dash back to the exit. We've spent a lot of turns running around, and time is running out!

Turn 69

We discover the last enemy leader, a giant mutant chicken. Pretty normal compared to some of the other stuff we've seen...

Turn 71

We quickly get rid of the surrounding enemies and lure out the leader.

We kill the leader, opening the gate blocking the exit. Time to leave!

…once we fight our way through yet another batch of enemies.

Turn 72

The path splits 3 ways: south, east and north.

Turn 73

The southern fork is just an empty dead end.

Turn 75

The northern fork is a dead end with some glyphs.

And in the east... the exit, finally!!! Phew, we made it (barely) in time!

Turn 76

We read the remaining glyph (the other two are unreadable), and then step into the chaos emperor’s lair…

All 8 veterans from the beginning (S 21 Innuendo) are still alive, which will be a big help in the upcoming final battle.
Attachments
IftU-Into_the_Lair_replay.gz
(152.46 KiB) Downloaded 613 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

btw, i like your way of posting a step-by-step screenshot album, since i often don't really bother viewing replays anyway :P
looking forward to the boss fight (i seen it, but that was on older version, stuff may have changed :P )
btw, little tip:
Spoiler:
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

ForestDragon: Thanks! I wanted these posts to be as accessible and quick to read as possible.
And yes, this scenario has changed from the older version (a big improvement, I think - it used to be that the boss would constantly heal to full from attacking your units, which was really infuriating!)
S 23B – Until Death
[Several restarts after getting massacred by the boss. Also, I reloaded back to turn 7 due to encountering a bug where the boss spawned with only half HP.]

This is it - we’ve finally come face to face with the Chaos Emperor himself!
Teaming up to hit someone from behind... such a typical Galas tactic. Not that it would work anyway, since the Chaos Emperor’s brought plenty of friends.

He removes the mask...

Blasphemy! There's only one god, and his name is Mal Keshar.

(This is effectively the final battle; the next scenario is more of a playable cutscene. Surviving veterans from this scenario do carry over to the next though, so while they’re pretty expendable here, it’s best not to get them all killed.)

Turn 1

There are two nearby enemy leaders, so to make our life much easier we’re going to try to kill both this turn.

We'll go for the southern enemy leader first, since he's very easy to kill.

…unless he gets lucky and dodges like crazy. Let’s try the northern shadow courier leader instead.

He’s extremely dangerous in ranged, and like the other leaders in this scenario, he also has the obscures halo (the opposite of illuminates).
Normally this would be good for him, as it prevents Elynia from illuminating him…

…but it also prevents Elynia from illuminating Mal Keshar, giving his Union attack a major damage boost!

Zzzzap!!
Mal Keshar had a 78% CTK, so this is a pretty reliable leaderkill; I also didn’t move the necromancer yet so that I could try zapping the leader from the southern hex if Mal Keshar had only hit once.

Since we didn’t need the necromancer in the north, he can go zap the southern leader, leaving Galas free to take the keep and recruit.

Galas then starts filling the castle with spam - it’s essential to do this as soon as possible, for reasons which will become apparent soon.

Turn 2

Argan’s recruits aren’t actually much of a threat, since he fortunately doesn’t have that much gold.

We’re being swarmed by a bunch of high level enemies though.
First things first, we need to retreat our units in the north (especially Elynia and Mal Keshar) before they get trapped there.

We get rid of the demon zephyr which was blocking the way, and retreat the northern force back to heal.

Then in the south, we kill off the nearby drones with the help of Galas’ leadership, send a fodder ghost to help cover the northern units, and continue to fill the keep with cannon fodder.

Turn 3

Argan provides a shockingly accurate description of Galas.

(Poor Galas...friendzoned just like that.)

We had an extremely lucky enemy turn, with the spectre in the south soaking up a huge amount of attacks and even killing an enemy spectre in retaliation.

Our first goal will be to clean up the 3 southern enemies.
Mal Keshar and Elynia team up to kill the extremely dangerous overlord, while Ledinor and the spectre clear out the wraith and rayblade.

Next our remaining veterans start working on the 3 northern enemies.
Finally, we stick some cannon fodder into the corners of our formation, and Galas continues to pump out more undead.

Turn 4

That…doesn’t sound very good.

Definitely not good

Well that's alright, Erathan’s completely useless anyway. The Chaos Emperor can have him.

Fortunately, Mal Keshar’s on 40% defense, so we should be able to slow him pretty easily.

Once Mal Keshar is slowed, Ledinor actually does something useful for once and softens him up.

Just to be extra sure, a corpse softens him up further so Elynia will only need one hit (her faerie fire does 16-4) to finish him.

Nooooo we need you! We’re stuck with useless people like Galas now!

Without Mal Keshar we can't recruit undead anymore, which is why it was important to recruit as much as possible during turns 1-3.

And now Argan's getting possessed by Uria. Is there anyone around here who isn't possessed?!

He now has a Union attack, though it’s rather weak compared to his regular noctum attack.

The good news is, Elynia can now use a more powerful 35-4 Union attack when next to Argan.

Back to our regularly scheduled normal Wesnoth…
We'll first get rid of the gutwrencher imps in the north, and the assault drone in the south.

With Galas' help, we'll then get rid of the Goliath (by suiciding several skeletons into it), and fill in the front lines with cannon fodder backed by leadership.

I'd feel bad about killing Erathan since he’s been with us for so long, so I just leave him alone with some cannon fodder to block him.

Turn 5

From now on, hordes of psy crawlers will start to appear and harass us from the south.
A lot of our cannon fodder on the front lines is conspicuously missing, but fortunately we have lots to spare.

We start off by killing the wounded enemies in the north, deliberately getting into Argan’s range so we can lure him out.

We then start killing our way through the southern enemies, and cover our entire front line with cannon fodder.
Meanwhile in the northwest, two skeletons just ZOC Erathan so he won’t bother us.

Turn 6

Argan comes out onto 40% defense to blast a ghost – time to take him on.

As usual, we slow him first.

And once he’s slowed, Union with Elynia. Anything besides Elynia’s Union will only do a couple HP of damage to him so it’s not really worth it to attack with other units.

3 out of 4 Union hits, putting Argan at 155/272 HP; pretty good!

Meanwhile, our other units clean out the drones and crawlers in the south.

Unfortunately, I made an extremely careless positioning error here due to neglecting to ctrl + v…

ERATHAN YOU IDIOT WE NEEDED THAT SHYDE!!
To add insult to injury, he even got full hits...

Turn 7

That’s it, I’ve had it!!! I wanted to keep Erathan alive but he clearly doesn’t deserve it.

Serves you right.
We get some good use out of his death, leveling up a soulless while making a new corpse :twisted:

Meanwhile, we clear out more psy crawlers in the south, ZOC Argan with some spam, and try to heal Elynia a little (at 71 HP, she'd be killed by 8 out of 10 slowed noctum hits at 9 damage each).

Turn 8

We can’t afford to spend too much time healing up though, since Argan’s blasting away one unit per turn and the psy crawler situation in the south is starting to get out of control.

As usual, we first slow Argan with the one remaining (thanks to Erathan…) shyde.

Then a spectre attacked to bring Argan down to 151 HP, so that he could possibly be finished in 4 Union hits (38 * 4 = 152 damage, a 24% CTK).
Unfortunately, attacking Argan can cause him to become unslowed. Though I didn’t realize this at the time, so I went ahead and attacked with Elynia…

…but good luck saves the day, and Elynia gets full hits!
Conveniently, defeating Argan’s first form gives Elynia a free full heal.

Meanwhile, a familiar face shows up...
HE’S BACK! I knew he was too awesome to die! Unfortunately he has extremely low HP now, so using him to attack Argan is out of the question.

Uh-oh, it's Uria again…

Well, that’s not good. Argan's ridiculously powerful ranged attack has another strike now, and he has a ton of HP!

The good news is, regular attacks do full damage to him now! We start whittling him down using our ghostly undead.
He sometimes spawns worms and drones when you hit him, which are more of an inconvenience than anything as they take up the hexes adjacent to him.

We also suicided the wraith and soulless (with Galas leading them) into Argan, bringing him down to 282/381 HP.

Turn 9

Our nightgaunt got blasted last turn - he will be missed.

Hiondra also nobly sacrifices herself in a final valiant attempt to slow Argan.

Once he's slowed, we starting attacking him with our veterans, bringing him down to 200 HP.
Finally we use Elynia’s Union, which has gotten a major powerup! Even with Argan slowing her in retaliation, she easily takes off 100 HP.

99/381 - we're almost there!

Turn 10

Elynia gets pretty battered from getting attacked by Argan and several drones, getting poisoned in the process.
With no more healers and slowers, we’ll have to finish Argan this turn - fortunately he's down to just 71 HP now!

Our best bet is to whittle down Argan to below 41 HP, so that one Union hit from Elynia will end him.

The spectre gets full hits, leaving Argan at 19 HP…
These odds are pretty much as good as it gets.

Zap!!! Argan learns - too late - who the real goddess of Irdya is.

There was admittedly a lot of good RNG in this scenario. (However I do think you need some luck in order to win the boss fight.)
Losses: 2 shydes, nightgaunt, lots of cannon fodder. And Erathan, but we don't talk about him.

Cutscene – Do Us Part

(Sequel??)

[acronym=Too much information!!!]TMI[/acronym] :augh:

For once, Galas has the right idea - let’s get out of here!!
Attachments
IftU-Until_Death_replay.gz
Wesnoth 1.12.6 / IftU version 2.0.0
(109.65 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

This is the final scenario of IftU.
S 23C – Broken Heart
The fortress is collapsing on us and we need to get out!

This scenario is divided into several sections, with the turn limit increasing as we reach the end of each section.

Turn 2

Heading northwest, we just come across a couple demon zephyrs.

Turn 4

Moving Elynia to the exit at the top transports all our units to a new area.

If this campaign has taught me anything, it is that starting to hear voices in your head is never a good sign.

We come across some more very minor resistance. The blue glyphs heal a unit to full, which is very welcome since my two shydes both died gruesomely last scenario.

Turn 6

We’re getting some really heavy hints here…

Turn 7

For the -2 Ledinor fans out there, I’m afraid it's not looking so good...

Turn 8

We head east through the doors into a hive area.

Turn 9

Hey, a turn went by without Ledinor complaining! Phew, I guess nothing’s wrong after –

:doh:

Not again!

I have to say, this new Ledinor’s an improvement over the old one. Too bad his new upgrade comes with some… personality issues.

He also comes with 3 of those pesky shadow minions (there’s one hiding in the highlighted hex), which we quickly dispose of using the necromancer and spectres.

We then slow Ledinor with Elynia…

…so that Mal Keshar can blast him.

We don’t manage to finish him, but he’ll be easy spectre meat next turn.

Turn 10

Some people just don’t know when to stop talking.

Meanwhile, a newly leveled spectre scouts out the northeast area.

Turn 12

The slower units catch up (except for Galas, who will spend the entire rest of the scenario lagging behind with his terrible cave movement…)

Turn 14

Everyone heads north. These level 1 chaos guys should really learn not to wander around by themselves.

Turn 16

We continue heading northeast…
He’s got really high hopes for his army of two undead.

Turn 17

Lord Mizgill and his two pals come to say hi.

One of the death barons has a (very) brief meeting with Mal Keshar.

Then a necromancer and Elynia team up on Lord Mizgill, who was kind enough to stop right next to the healing glyph.

The other lucky death baron gets to live another turn.

Turn 18

We start heading north, past some weak drones.

The exit is just ahead to the west.

Turn 21

At last, we make our escape from the fortress.

The entire fortress begins to crumble and break apart, leaving only a crater behind.

Only us three made it out of the fortress alive. We tried to locate the dwarves, but enemy troops arrived to inspect the ruins of the Heart before we could finish our search. The evidence we found suggested that our allies had to retreat for some reason, possibly while we were busy battling Elyssa in the Dark Hive.
I’ll sure miss those veterans…especially the 54 HP spectre… and the 88 HP necromancers…*sniff*
The storm that drove us out of hiding is over now, but our journey has only just begun. Darker days are coming, and it will take our best effort to put an end to this war now that Uria has taken notice of our existence. Even now I worry for the safety of my kin up in the Far North.

But as long as we stick together, I feel that we may yet have a chance against the evil force that threatens to take Irdya from us.
Hmmm…stay back and babysit the other elves, or follow his crush around on a new adventure? Tough choice.

…continued in After the Storm!
Campaign stats
(These stats are from S1 to S23B; they don’t include 23C.)

Overall, we’ve had good RNG for this campaign. There weren’t too many restarts until the end of Part II, where there were a LOT :whistle:

Anyway, let’s look back at the various units from Part 2!

The Most Awesome Character

Let’s make a list…
-Galas – got possessed by the Emperor
-Mal Keshar – see above
-Erathan – see above
-Ledinor – got possessed by Uria

That’s basically everyone…

except Elynia! Also, no one messes with her 41-5 Union damage!

The Most Useless Character

You may have difficulty believing this, but there was someone even more useless than Galas...

Not only did we have to babysit Erathan throughout almost all of Part 2, he ended up turning on us and killing a vital unit during the final battle!

The Most Awesome Unit Type

What's the best type of cannon fodder in Wesnoth?

It's free cannon fodder! Not only are necromancers very beefy with a rare resistance to arcane, they also make free corpses!

The Most Useless Unit Type

You will be forgiven if you don’t even remember what these things are, as they were usable for about two scenarios total before the campaign became perpetually night.

Units I never, ever want to see again…

:augh:

-The End-
Thanks to everyone for reading and commenting!!
Attachments
IftU-Broken_Heart_replay.gz
Wesnoth 1.12.6 / IftU version 2.0.0
(97.39 KiB) Downloaded 680 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Inky wrote:(Sequel??)
yes, it's called 'After the Storm', one thing i can tell you for sure, it has badass special effects
so, how about starting an AtS let's play topic ;) btw, i played it from beginning to end (by cheating of course :P ) so i know the storyline (not going to spoil it for now :) ) so i would be interested in seeing someone actually play it
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Reading your LP of IftU feels like reading ASOIF coz we never know who's going to die next. :lol:
It was simply mesmerizing to see your emperor fight (and your entire game for that matter) and allow me to give you some well deserved congratulations for completing this massive undertaking.

CONGRATS!!

Thank you for this great gift to the community. I have never seen any LP for any game that i enjoyed as much as i did for your one. You are one cool dude. I bet u look like this 8) all the time.
Inky wrote: Units I never, ever want to see again…

This was the best finisher possible. I remember the countless times i slammed down my laptops lid because of these drones. Especially the war drones in AtS. ShadowM is just messing with us with those.
Also, it seems like all kinds of unbelievable stuff happen when u play.
Spoiler:
And, i would say that spectres were the most awesome unit type in your playthrough. Man, they must have killed thousands of enemies. A Spectre with 7 AMLA's ? That's the Grim Reaper right there!

Sadly, all great things must come to an end sometime. No more will i enter the forums everyday, hoping to see a new chapter of your LP :cry:
ForestDragon wrote:
Inky wrote:(Sequel??)
yes, it's called 'After the Storm', one thing i can tell you for sure, it has badass special effects
so, how about starting an AtS let's play topic ;) btw, i played it from beginning to end (by cheating of course :P ) so i know the storyline (not going to spoil it for now :) ) so i would be interested in seeing someone actually play it
I'd asked him the same question a few weeks ago and he said he would probably play AtS after the AtS reconstruction. Since no one knows how long that might take, i guess we won't be seeing it for a while. But hey, after the stunning job he did on this one, i say he more than well deserves a long rest. :mrgreen:
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Thanks for the playthrough, I loved it! The commentary was really enjoyable and there’s a lot to be learned from it for future updates. Hopefully existing and prospective players will find it useful as well!
Sudipta wrote:I'd asked him the same question a few weeks ago and he said he would probably play AtS after the AtS reconstruction.
Just to clarify, it’s not a project on the same scale as Reconstruction — that is to say, not a rewrite or a major overhaul of any sort — since AtS does not need that in my view. It’s just going to include a few deceptively small gameplay additions (hence the major version number bump), new sprite animations, and flesh out a cutscene that didn’t quite make the cut for 0.9.0 or 0.8.90.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Yes, once again a really enjoyable read inky! I really look forward to playing your next Let's Play!
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Wow, thanks for the really nice comments everyone!!
Sudipta: I'm so flattered I don't know what to say! :D (p.s. Actually I'm a girl)

About AtS, I know the upcoming update isn't anything major, I mainly wanted to take a break (making these posts can get pretty tedious) and play some other UMCs for a while. I thought I mind as well wait for the update to play AtS, but I might end up starting it before then.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Inky wrote:I mainly wanted to take a break (making these posts can get pretty tedious) and play some other UMCs for a while.
feel free to check out whatever you want, UMC creators are very desperate for feedback, btw
Inky wrote:About AtS, I know the upcoming update isn't anything major, I thought I mind as well wait for the update to play AtS, but I might end up starting it before then.
well, i am as impatient waiting for it as you are :P