On Wolves, the Feral trait, and miscellaneous units

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gyra_Solune

Re: On Wolves, the Feral trait, and miscellaneous units

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Velensk wrote:When estimating the overall offensive power of a wesnoth unit, it's actually a fairly decent idea to just go with (Strikes x Damage) regardless of how it's distributed. The distributions do affect things, particularly in any individual engagement but in the long run it evens out to being pretty much this. It's just important to note that the number that you're comparing it to is not really the targets HP but rather the targets hp divided by it's chance to be hit.
Yeah that's typically the metric I use. The nature of the number of strikes has a slight influence on how you use it? More strikes is preferred in the center of the line where it's important to wear away at opponents and drive them back and the bottom line is you have to at least do some damage, no matter how little. Fewer but more powerful attacks are probably better in a pursuit of something - an enemy's about to retreat and get away, like say, they have 20 HP, a 20-1 is much more likely to outright kill them than a 7-3 will. It also has a higher chance of doing 0 damage, but in a situation where the enemy is running back to a safe village it's not as useful to only do some damage to it - if it's not going to die, why bother diverting forces to it?

For all intents and purposes though I look at a 6-3 and an 18-1 and more or less parse those as the same.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: On Wolves, the Feral trait, and miscellaneous units

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Gyra_Solune wrote:As of late I've been playing a lot with various seldom-used units and there are a few oddities I wish to point out, mostly at random.
Since these units are not part of any faction, I wonder if it might be okay to actually tweak them based on your and others' experiences. It would change the balance of some campaigns a little (hopefully not much, as I expect most of these units aren't heavily used), but I'm pretty sure that was never really a concern when tweaking faction units for multiplayer balance.
Gyra_Solune wrote:I'd say ditch the Pirate kind entirely.
I think having a pirate ship is kinda nice, as it gives a specific flavour that differs from the normal ship.
Gyra_Solune wrote:I'd say it would make far more sense for the Scorpion to have one of the Khalifate's movetypes - armored beings being weak to impact but resistant to pierce and blade makes a lot more sense, and it also adds in the Scorpion being potent on sand, which would work much better.
While it's certainly possible to use a khalifate movetype, don't forget that the scorpion could (and maybe even should) just have a movetype unique to it.
kurt751 wrote:Rats should carry diseases (poison) to get a somewhat dangerous. Else they are just minor nuisances which you ignore as they helplessly nibble at your feet.
I would be mildly disappointed if the vanilla rat gained poison, as it would take away from the two separate poisonous rat variations I created in DruidSiege.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.