Drakes vs. Undead

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gunsnwoses

Drakes vs. Undead

Post by gunsnwoses »

Is it possible for undead to defeat drakes in multiplayer? I've tried but failed so lets have your tips please :oops:
scott

Post by scott »

I have never done it, but it probably involves ghosts and dark adepts (drakes hate cold).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Shade

To be honest the undead do have trouble vs. the Drakes

Post by Shade »

To be honest the Undead do have trouble vs. the Drakes. If you use search there have been several threads on the subject, these threads do have strategies for drakes vs. undead scenarios. Most of these involve economic starvation strategies... and the use of Ghosts & Adepts...

That being said (as the person who took the last stab at balancing the Drakes), since the Undead are the primary users of cold, and the drakes are the primary victims of it I would be willing to propose an additional 10% penalty for the Drakes vs. Cold...

Any thoughts?
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
pg

Post by pg »

I haven't played the new release yet but in 0.8.8 adepts + corpses dominated drakes...
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

pg wrote:I haven't played the new release yet but in 0.8.8 adepts + corpses dominated drakes...
Same here.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

Drakes don't like poison either, don't forget that.
Bear, as in Fozzy,Bare, as in Arms,Beer, as in Free.
Distro | Browser
Elvish_Pillager

Breeblebox wrote:Drakes don't like poison either, don't forget that.
Humans are the ones who don't like poison. Drakes have tons of HP and can fly to reach villages easier.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
pg wrote:I haven't played the new release yet but in 0.8.8 adepts + corpses dominated drakes...
Same here.
I'll take the PG & the EPs word for it :)
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
gunsnwoses

Post by gunsnwoses »

Seems I am outvoted! Maybe I'm just missing something! I am a new player and based on my performance on multiplayer I'd say I'm pretty average (but not too rubbish), so maybe I don't know how to play against drakes, but you can't just hide until night or else you lose loads of villages. Help!

It appears to me that if undead have an 'achilles heel', drakes is it. With that in mind, I tried to compile a list of each factions' most dangerous enemy. All I could come up with so far is that loyalists have a hard time against undead. Rebels & Northerners are pretty solid. Undead - Bad vs. Drakes, but good against others. Knalgan Alliance - Seem to be a solid all-round choice & not particularly great or terrible against anyone. Drakes/Saurians - Loyalists?

As to having drakes being more susceptible to cold, I don't know (what do others think?), maybe we could do that, but maybe undead could have a more 'heavy hitter' (ie not just ghosts) with cold, or maybe a necromancer standing next to other units eg. skeletons, could allow their weapons to become cold while the units are adjacent to the necromancer?

What I have found is that it takes about 2 dark adepts plus a ghost to kill 1 drake, and then next turn his mates destroy me with their fire attacks (or melee for dark adepts). All drakes need is a combination of burners and fighters and they can just walk right through me.

I can't believe that other people aren't having trouble with undead against drakes. I have played a lot as undead against the AI with drakes and I find it really hard to even stay competitive. At night I can match him but that's only 1/3 of the time. And normally if I have the same starting gold as the AI I can easily defeat him with any other faction combinations. Maybe someone cold post a replay so I can see where I'm going wrong?

:oops:
Elvish_Pillager

pg wrote:adepts + corpses
Let three Adepts and ten Corpses be your starting recruits. [1] Choose Necromancer as your leader. Your first action, to march out, fight until you lose most of your units or your leader is < 1/2 HP, and then run back and recruit a ton more adepts and corpses.

The fighting involved works like this: As many Dark Adepts as possible, [2] starting with your Necromancer, gang up on Drakes, any Drakes, making sure you can kill them. When a Drake falls, fill its location with corpses to protect the Adepts. You have to be rather careful with your Zones of Control :roll: [3] to keep the Drakes from getting at the Adepts. During the Day, retreat the Adepts, but the Corpses have no chance to escape, so leave them as harriers. The Necromancer should be able to provide replacements if necessary.

[1] You may recruit a Vampire Bat if you wish.
[2] If you are on the Isle of Anduin or a similar map, you should split your forces as such: Two Adepts and five corpses one way, Adept, Necromancer, and five corpses the other.
[3] The ZoC of level 0 units, one of their few legitimate uses, has been removed in 0.8.10. Also, their fighting power has not been increased to compensate. Also, the Soulless is still the wimpiest & most ineffecient unit in the game. If you think it's worth it, replacing three Corpses with a Ghoul can allow you a Zone of Control when you really need it.
gunsnwoses

Post by gunsnwoses »

pillager - you're absolutely right! :oops: I just played AI twice as undead vs. drakes using a ratio of 5:2 corpses:adepts and I tore him apart within a few turns both times!

Sorry for wasting your time! The problem was that I was blindly using my usual tactics as undead without stopping to think about other possibilities :oops: .

I hang my head in shame. Now, maybe undead are too good against drakes.....( :o )
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

gunsnwoses wrote:I hang my head in shame. Now, maybe undead are too good against drakes.....( :o )
Depends on who'se playing as drakes... try against a human now. ;)
DoT

Post by DoT »

Skirmishers and Burners counters corpses and adepts..

and beating a computer is easy
And who's to care
If I grow my hair to the sky
I'll take a wish and a prayer
Cross my fingers
Cause I always get by
Elvish_Pillager

DoT wrote:Skirmishers
What? What good will skirmishers do you?
DoT

Post by DoT »

wait good point.. meant to say drake fighters heh.. sorry about that.. corpses have no ZoC so adepts are still easy to reach =).. so Fighters and Burners...

I suggest vs drake's to use.. ghouls and adepts =P. sure poison doesn't do much but it still makes the enemy throw a unit out of battle.. or a lot of units out of battle in that case =-P. and still does damage..

i dont' see why u'd want to get a ghost vs drakes though.. they die to easy ^^.
And who's to care
If I grow my hair to the sky
I'll take a wish and a prayer
Cross my fingers
Cause I always get by