Editor help section

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fabi
Inactive Developer

Editor help section

Post by fabi »

With the editor's functionality growing I believe some ingame manual won't hurt.

Adding the help system to the editor for viewing unit profiles wasn't a big deal,
thus "only" content is still needed.

Here is a first thought about the formating:
  • Getting started
    • The Toolbar
      • Image of the bar
      • Selecting the active tool
      • Brief description of each tool
    • The brush bar
      • Selecting the active brush
      • Image of the bar
    • Terrain editing
      • Terrain palette
        • Foreground Terrain
        • Background Terrain
        • Pick terrain from the map
      • The paint tool
      • The fill tool
      • Drawing mixed/layered terrain
    • Save/Load
    • Using the result
      • Starting the map in a multiplayer match
      • Starting the scenario in a multiplayer match
      • Using the map in a scenario
      • Using the extra file in a scenario
      • Puplishing your work
        • On the forums
        • Via the addon server
  • Configuration
    • Editor hotkey configuration
    • More
  • Advanced features
    • Undo/Redo
    • MDI
    • Selection tool
      • Paste mode
      • Areas
    • Item placement tool
    • Label tool
    • Masks
  • Scenario/Side specific features
    • Sides
    • Status table
    • Village ownership tool
    • Unit placement tool
  • Extra features
    • Playlist editor
    • Time of day schedule
      • Select time of day schedule and start time
      • create and use custom schedules
  • Use cases
    • A pure map
    • Chess Problem
    • Cut Scene
    • Multiplayer Scenario
    • Creating scenarios for a campaign
    • Dungeon crawler
  • Differences to the previous versions
    • editor2 (1.5.6 - 1.11.3)
      • Certain operations, like new map, load map and others affecting the entire map should be significantly faster
      • Copy-paste works across map loads
      • Can have more than one map open with fast switching between open maps
      • Redone hotkey system (separate hotkeys from the game's)
      • More robust undo/redo system
      • Better lighting (time of day) setting (with presets from the game)
      • Click-drag paint operations can be undone by a single "undo" (the old behaviour is accessible via the "partial undo" feature)
      • Clipboard transformations (rotate, flip). Also pasting accurately should be easier.
      • -l --load command line support for starting with a map open
      • Random map generation
      • Right mouse button actions
      • Terrain sampler tool
      • Mouse overlays for various tools
    • editor3 (>= 1.11.4)
      • Copy selected coordinates to clipboard -- superseded by the area feature
      • Help system
      • New tools
      • gui changes
  • Customization
    • UMC Music tracks
    • UMC Time Schedules
    • UMC [item] sets
    • UMC Units
    • UMC Terrain
Kanzil

Re: Editor help section

Post by Kanzil »

I would be happy to work on these. I can't guarantee they will be done quickly, however I can guarantee that they will be done thoroughly and well. Also what do you mean by "use cases"? Does that mean a description for each type of scenario? And also, though I'm sure that this is a stupid question, which one is the "brush bar"? Here are some basic descriptions of the toolbar on the top left.
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (15.65 KiB) Viewed 10232 times
(Toolbar) This contains some of the most basic and useful commands, placed here for ease of access.
1. a.(Save button) Use this to save your current map for future use.
b. (Save all) This saves all maps currently open.
2. (Load button) If you wish to open a previously saved map, you should utilize this button - select the map you wish to view or edit from the menu, or search for its name in the bar.
3. (Close button) This closes the map you are currently working on, and opens an empty map - make sure you read the prompt, and save your work!
4.(Partial undo) This button undoes the last action in the chain; for example, if you were to place down several tiles in one sweep of the brush, only the last tile placed would be undone.
5. (Undo) This button, however, is used to delete your entire last set of actions.
6. (Redo) Conversely, this can be used to recover the last thing you undid.
7. (Select all) This button selects the entire map.
8. (Select none) All areas that are selected will be deselected.
9. (Select inverse) This feature can be used to select all areas, except for those already selected.
10. (Fill) This fills a selected area with the chosen tile.
11. (Randomize tiles in selection) Selected tiles are shuffled, randomly interchanging positions with other selected tiles.
12. (Cut) The selected tiles will be removed from the map and saved to the clipboard; they can be placed elsewhere using the "Paste" button.
13. (Copy) Duplicates of selected tiles are made. These duplicates are saved to the clipboard, and can be set down elsewhere with the "Paste" button.
14. (Paste) Tiles that have been copied or cut can be taken from the clipboard and set down in a selected region elsewhere, using this button.
Last edited by Kanzil on July 25th, 2013, 8:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Disclaimer: Peanut-gallery comment following...

I'm still on 1.10 and therefore didn't use the new editor yet, but
Kanzil wrote:(Random selection) All selected tiles are randomly scattered across the map.
is ambiguous - it could either mean that the previously selected tiles are swapped around randomly (which would IMHO be a function with limited benefit) or that a random subset of all tiles is selected.

Everything else is clear and concise, so I hope you will continue with it. Good job!
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Sorry I named it wrong - the button is actually called "randomize tiles in selection"; it takes all the tiles that you have selected and places them at random positions across the map, not either of the above.
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Max

Post by Max »

Kanzil wrote:All selected tiles are randomly scattered across the map / it takes all the tiles that you have selected and places them at random positions across the map
that's not an accurate description. it suggests that the tiles may end up anywhere on the map. it actually reorders the selected tiles based on a random permutation.

what about "Shuffle selected tiles"?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Kanzil wrote:I would be happy to work on these. I can't guarantee they will be done quickly, however I can guarantee that they will be done thoroughly and well.
Cool, thanks for your participation.
Also what do you mean by "use cases"? Does that mean a description for each type of scenario?
Yes, more or less. You can have a "dungeon crawler" (with preset units going active the moment they spot you, in contrast to the classic approach where you use moveto events to place them the moment a region is entered by the player's units.
Another example would be a cut scene with predefined units (and movepaths when implemented), both being single player scenarios thus sharing the same type but being of different use case.
And also, though I'm sure that this is a stupid question, which one is the "brush bar"?
The brush defines on what pattern an action (paint/select) is applied.
The bar holds the 5 predefined patterns (single hex field, glob with radius one, glob with radius two, sw-no line, nw-so line).
Here are some basic descriptions of the toolbar on the top left.
Each button in the editor is bound to one or more "hotkey actions".
Those actions can either be triggered by pressing a button bound to it, using a shortkey (keyboard, mouse, joystick) or by selecting the action in a context menu.

It might make sense to describe each action for each own and only link to them in the description of the bars.
The descriptions are already part of the hotkey definitions, you can find them in the file hotkeys.cpp. (only defined for some, early state)
I have added them to be able to present them in gui elements' tooltips.
I am going to autogenerate the list of hotkey action descriptions from there.
(Toolbar) This contains some of the most basic and useful commands, placed here for ease of access.
1. (Save button) Use this to save your map for future use.
The *current* map is saved, you can have several maps open, all with possible changes to save.
This also means that there is also a menu entry "Save All" which is only visible if you have more than one unsaved map open.
2. (Load button) If you wish to open a previously saved map, you should utili*z*e (changed spelling) this button - select the map you wish to view or edit from the menu, or search for its name in the bar.
3. (Close button) This closes the map you are currently working on, and opens an empty map - make sure you've saved your work!
The game asks before closing an unsaved map, thus the hint might be obsolete.
4.(Partial undo) This button undoes the last action in the chain; for example, if you were to place down several tiles in one sweep of the brush, only the last tile placed would be undone.
5. (Undo) This button, however, is used to delete your entire last set of actions.
Nice.
6. (Redo) Conversely, this can be used to recover the last thing you undid or redo the last action you performed.
This sounds like the action serves two different purposes, which is not quite true.
I would keep it straight and just claim to redo the last undo step (being partial or not).
7. (Select all) This button selects the entire map.
8. (Select none) All areas that are selected will be deselected.
9. (Select inverse) This feature can be used to select all areas, except for those already selected.
10. (Fill) This fills a selected area with the chosen tile.
11. (Randomize tiles in selection) All selected tiles are randomly scattered across the map.
12. (Cut) The selected tiles will be removed from the map; they can be placed elsewhere using the "Paste" button.
13. (Copy) Duplicates of selected tiles can be made - again these duplicates can be set down elsewhere with the "Paste" button.
14. (Paste) Tiles that have been copied or cut can be set down in a selected region elsewhere, using this button.
I think it is a good idea to introduce the concept "clipboard" (beside "selection" and "area") to the user.
We have the "selection" consisting of the hex tiles currently selected.
This selection can be saved to an area and thus recalled later.
Cut and Copy transfers the current selection to the clipboard.
The content of the clipboard can then be manipulated by several actions (rotate, flip, etc) and replaced to the map by the paste tool.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Sorry, Max, I misunderstood the use of the button :( . As for the changes suggested, I've fiddled around with the descriptions, however, in some cases, I think the clarity might be overwhelmed by overly-precise detail; almost all the changes suggested have, however, been implemented.
utili*z*e (changed spelling)
Sorry, I didn't realise we were using American spellings - I'll remember my z's in future.
The brush defines on what pattern an action (paint/select) is applied.
The bar holds the 5 predefined patterns (single hex field, glob with radius one, glob with radius two, sw-no line, nw-so line).
Ah, so the brush bar is the one that decides the area of the "brush"... makes sense.

Here's a description of context menus:
Dropdown menus accessible by right-clicking on many features/hexes - they provide a list of commands that can performed.

And some first-drafts for the brush bar ( this is just to give me a simple format by which to classify the commands, they may not necessarily appear in this format, and I completely understand the idea that the buttons will not be grouped by bar, but will rather be independent articles that will be linked to the descriptions of the bars):
1. ( Brush bar) This the bar that decides the size and shape of the area to be selected or painted - it has five brush sizes; one hex, one hex radius, two hex radius, NW-SE and SW-NE.
2. (One hex) This is the smallest brush size, and is the size of one hex.
3. (One hex radius) This size contains of one hex at the centre, and one more expanding in every direction, resulting in a shape the size of seven hexes.
4.( Two hex radius) In the same way, this size has one hex in the middle, and two hexes expanding in every direction.
5. (NW-SE) This size consists of three hexes stretching diagonally from left to right.
6.( SE-NW) Where the NW-SE arrangement consisted of three tiles stretching diagonally from left to right, this arrangement stretches diagonally from right to left.
I am going to create some descriptions for the clipboard next; it is of greater difficult because it is a more abstract concept.
Last edited by Kanzil on July 27th, 2013, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Here's a description of context menus:
Dropdown menus accessible by right-clicking on a hex; it provides a list of commands that can be performed on that hex and the tiles occupying it.
This is a pretty accurate description of how the context menu works in the game.
However, in the editor the context menu is much more tool specific (with some tools don't feature a context menu at all).
Some of the actions are not related to the hex field you trigger the menu on.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Please let me annoy you with a list of all hotkey actions (or commands as they are called in the c++ code snippet).
Note that the last value (still "NULL" in most cases) is the string being displayed in the help browser (implementation still missing),
the button tooltip (already implemented) and the hotkey preferences dialog (still missing).

For the sake of the editor, only those containing "hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL" and "hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR" matter.
Although, producing descriptions for the "hotkey::SCOPE_GAME" ones as well won't hurt.

A description of one of the editor's bars would list links to all covered actions with some description how those interact together.
Menus (both, the ones in the topbar and context menus) can be handled the same way.

Code: Select all

const hotkey_command hotkey_list_[] = {

{ hotkey::HOTKEY_CANCEL, "cancel", N_("Cancel"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_LEFT_MOUSE_CLICK, "leftmouseclick", N_("Left Mouse Click"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_RIGHT_MOUSE_CLICK, "rightmouseclick", N_("Right Mouse Click"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_ANIMATE_MAP, "animatemap", N_("Animate Map"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_CYCLE_UNITS, "cycle", N_("Next Unit"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_CYCLE_BACK_UNITS, "cycleback", N_("Previous Unit"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_UNIT_HOLD_POSITION, "holdposition", N_("Hold Position"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_END_UNIT_TURN, "endunitturn", N_("End Unit Turn"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_LEADER, "leader", N_("Leader"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_UNDO, "undo", N_("Undo"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_REDO, "redo", N_("Redo"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_ZOOM_IN, "zoomin", N_("Zoom In"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_ZOOM_OUT, "zoomout", N_("Zoom Out"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_ZOOM_DEFAULT, "zoomdefault", N_("Default Zoom"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_FULLSCREEN, "fullscreen", N_("Toggle Full Screen"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_SCREENSHOT, "screenshot", N_("Screenshot"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_MAP_SCREENSHOT, "mapscreenshot", N_("Map Screenshot"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_ACCELERATED, "accelerated", N_("Accelerated"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_UNIT_DESCRIPTION, "describeunit", N_("Unit Description"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_RENAME_UNIT, "renameunit", N_("Rename Unit"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_DELETE_UNIT, "editor-deleteunit", N_("Delete Unit"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },

{ hotkey::HOTKEY_SAVE_GAME, "save", N_("Save Game"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_SAVE_REPLAY, "savereplay", N_("Save Replay"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_SAVE_MAP, "savemap", N_("Save Map"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_LOAD_GAME, "load", N_("Load Game"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_RECRUIT, "recruit", N_("Recruit"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_REPEAT_RECRUIT, "repeatrecruit", N_("Repeat Recruit"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_RECALL, "recall", N_("Recall"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_ENDTURN, "endturn", N_("End Turn"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_TOGGLE_ELLIPSES, "toggleellipses", N_("Toggle Ellipses"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_TOGGLE_GRID, "togglegrid", N_("Toggle Grid"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_MOUSE_SCROLL, "mousescroll", N_("Mouse Scrolling"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_STATUS_TABLE, "statustable", N_("Status Table"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_MUTE, "mute", N_("Mute"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_SPEAK, "speak", N_("Speak"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_CREATE_UNIT, "createunit", N_("Create Unit (Debug!)"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_CHANGE_SIDE, "changeside", N_("Change Side (Debug!)"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_KILL_UNIT, "killunit", N_("Kill Unit (Debug!)"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_PREFERENCES, "preferences", N_("Preferences"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_OBJECTIVES, "objectives", N_("Scenario Objectives"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_UNIT_LIST, "unitlist", N_("Unit List"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_STATISTICS, "statistics", N_("Statistics"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_STOP_NETWORK, "stopnetwork", N_("Pause Network Game"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_START_NETWORK, "startnetwork", N_("Continue Network Game"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_QUIT_GAME, "quit", N_("Quit Game"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_QUIT_GAME, "quit-editor", N_("Quit Editor"), true, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_LABEL_TEAM_TERRAIN, "labelteamterrain", N_("Set Team Label"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_LABEL_TERRAIN, "labelterrain", N_("Set Label"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_CLEAR_LABELS, "clearlabels", N_("Clear Labels"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_SHOW_ENEMY_MOVES, "showenemymoves", N_("Show Enemy Moves"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_BEST_ENEMY_MOVES, "bestenemymoves", N_("Best Possible Enemy Moves"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_PLAY_REPLAY, "playreplay", N_("Play Replay"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_RESET_REPLAY, "resetreplay", N_("Reset Replay"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_STOP_REPLAY, "stopreplay", N_("Stop Replay"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_REPLAY_NEXT_TURN, "replaynextturn", N_("Next Turn"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_REPLAY_NEXT_SIDE, "replaynextside", N_("Next Side"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_REPLAY_SHOW_EVERYTHING, "replayshoweverything", N_("Full Map"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_REPLAY_SHOW_EACH, "replayshoweach", N_("Each Team"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_REPLAY_SHOW_TEAM1, "replayshowteam1", N_("Team 1"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_REPLAY_SKIP_ANIMATION, "replayskipanimation", N_("Skip Animation"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	// Whiteboard commands
	// TRANSLATORS: whiteboard menu entry: toggle planning mode
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_WB_TOGGLE, "wbtoggle", N_("whiteboard^Planning Mode"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	// TRANSLATORS: whiteboard menu entry: execute planned action
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_WB_EXECUTE_ACTION, "wbexecuteaction", N_("whiteboard^Execute Action"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	// TRANSLATORS: whiteboard menu entry: execute all planned actions
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_WB_EXECUTE_ALL_ACTIONS, "wbexecuteallactions", N_("whiteboard^Execute All Actions"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	// TRANSLATORS: whiteboard menu entry: delete planned action
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_WB_DELETE_ACTION, "wbdeleteaction", N_("whiteboard^Delete Action"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	// TRANSLATORS: whiteboard menu entry: move planned action up queue
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_WB_BUMP_UP_ACTION, "wbbumpupaction", N_("whiteboard^Move Action Up"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	// TRANSLATORS: whiteboard menu entry: move planned action down queue
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_WB_BUMP_DOWN_ACTION, "wbbumpdownaction", N_("whiteboard^Move Action Down"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	// TRANSLATORS: whiteboard menu entry: plan as though the chosen unit were dead
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_WB_SUPPOSE_DEAD, "wbsupposedead", N_("whiteboard^Suppose Dead"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },

{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_QUIT_TO_DESKTOP, "editor-quit-to-desktop", N_("Quit to Desktop"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_CLOSE_MAP, "editor-close-map", N_("Close Map"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_SWITCH_MAP, "editor-switch-map", N_("Switch Map"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_SWITCH_AREA, "editor-switch-area", N_("Switch Area"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },

{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_CUSTOM_TODS, "editor-custom-tods", N_("Custom Time of Day Creator"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_PARTIAL_UNDO, "editor-partial-undo", N_("Partial Undo"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_MAP_NEW, "editor-map-new", N_("New Map"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_MAP_LOAD, "editor-map-load", N_("Load Map"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_MAP_SAVE, "editor-map-save", N_("Save Map"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_MAP_SAVE_AS, "editor-map-save-as", N_("Save Map As"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_MAP_SAVE_ALL, "editor-map-save-all", N_("Save All Maps"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_MAP_REVERT, "editor-map-revert", N_("Revert All Changes"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_MAP_INFO, "editor-map-info", N_("Map Information"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_SIDE_NEW, "editor-side-new", N_("Add New Side"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_SIDE_SWITCH, "editor-switch-side", N_("Switch Side"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_PALETTE_ITEM_SWAP, "editor-terrain-palette-swap", N_("Swap Foreground/Background Palette Item"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_PALETTE_GROUPS, "editor-palette-groups", N_("Change Palette Group"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_PALETTE_UPSCROLL, "editor-palette-upscroll", N_("Scroll Palette Left"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_PALETTE_DOWNSCROLL, "editor-palette-downscroll", N_("Scroll Palette Right"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },

{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_SWITCH_TIME, "editor-switch-time", N_("Switch Time of Day"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },

{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_TOOL_NEXT, "editor-tool-next", N_("Next Tool"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },

{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_TOOL_PAINT, "editor-tool-paint", N_("Paint Tool"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, N_("Use left/right mouse button to draw fore-/background terrain. Hold Shift to paint base layer only. Ctrl+click to sample terrain under cursor.") },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_TOOL_FILL, "editor-tool-fill", N_("Fill Tool"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, N_("Use left/right mouse button to draw fore-/background terrain. Hold Shift to paint base layer only. Ctrl+click to sample terrain under cursor.") },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_TOOL_SELECT, "editor-tool-select", N_("Selection Tool"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, N_("Left mouse button selects or deselects, right brings up a context menu. Hold Shift for magic-wand selection of tiles with same terrain.") },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_TOOL_STARTING_POSITION, "editor-tool-starting-position", N_("Starting Positions Tool"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR,  N_("Left mouse button displays player selection, right clears. Number keys scroll to the starting position, alt+number sets respective starting position under cursor, delete clears.") },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_TOOL_LABEL, "editor-tool-label", N_("Label Tool"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, N_("Left mouse button sets or drags a label, right clears.") },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_TOOL_UNIT, "editor-tool-unit", N_("Unit Tool"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, N_("Left mouse button sets a new unit or moves a unit via drag and drop, right brings up a context menu. Needs a defined side.") },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_TOOL_ITEM, "editor-tool-item", N_("Item Tool"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, N_("Left mouse button sets a new item or moves it via drag and drop, right clears. Not implemented yet.") },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_TOOL_SOUNDSOURCE, "editor-tool-soundsource", N_("Soundsource Tool"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, N_("Left mouse button sets or drags a sound source, right clears. Not implemented yet.") },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_TOOL_VILLAGE, "editor-tool-village", N_("Village Tool"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, N_("Left mouse button sets the village ownership to the current side, right clears. Needs a defined side.") },

{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_UNIT_TOGGLE_CANRECRUIT, "editor-toggle-canrecruit", N_("Canrecruit"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, N_("Toggle the recruit attribute of a unit.") },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_UNIT_TOGGLE_RENAMEABLE, "editor-toggle-renameable", N_("Can be renamed"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, N_("Toggle the unit being renameable.") },

{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_UNIT_CHANGE_ID, "editor-change-unitid", N_("Change Unit ID"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_UNIT_TOGGLE_LOYAL, "editor-unit-toggle-loyal", N_("Loyal"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },

{ hotkey::HOTKEY_MINIMAP_COLOR_CODING, "minimap-color-coding", N_("Toggle Minimap color coding"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },

{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_BRUSH_NEXT, "editor-brush-next", N_("Next Brush"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_BRUSH_DEFAULT, "editor-brush-default", N_("Default Brush"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_BRUSH_1, "editor-brush-1", N_("Single Tile"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_BRUSH_2, "editor-brush-2", N_("Radius One"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_BRUSH_3, "editor-brush-3", N_("Radius Two"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_BRUSH_NW_SE, "editor-brush-nw-se", N_("Brush NW-SE"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_BRUSH_SW_NE, "editor-brush-sw-ne", N_("Brush SW-NE"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_CUT, "editor-cut", N_("Cut"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_COPY, "editor-copy", N_("Copy"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_PASTE, "editor-paste", N_("Paste"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, N_("Left mouse button pastes from the clipboard, right brings up a context menu.") },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_EXPORT_SELECTION_COORDS, "editor-export-selection-coords", N_("Export Selected Coordinates to System Clipboard"), true, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_SELECT_ALL, "editor-select-all", N_("Select All"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_SELECT_INVERSE, "editor-select-inverse", N_("Select Inverse"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_SELECT_NONE, "editor-select-none", N_("Select None"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_CLIPBOARD_ROTATE_CW, "editor-clipboard-rotate-cw", N_("Rotate Clipboard Clockwise"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_CLIPBOARD_ROTATE_CCW, "editor-clipboard-rotate-ccw", N_("Rotate Clipboard Counter-Clockwise"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_CLIPBOARD_FLIP_HORIZONTAL, "editor-clipboard-flip-horizontal", N_("Flip Clipboard Horizontally"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_CLIPBOARD_FLIP_VERTICAL, "editor-clipboard-flip-vertical", N_("Flip Clipboard Vertically"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_SELECTION_ROTATE, "editor-selection-rotate", N_("Rotate Selection"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_SELECTION_FLIP, "editor-selection-flip", N_("Flip Selection"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_SELECTION_FILL, "editor-selection-fill", N_("Fill Selection"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_SELECTION_GENERATE, "editor-selection-generate", N_("Generate Tiles In Selection"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_SELECTION_RANDOMIZE, "editor-selection-randomize", N_("Randomize Tiles In Selection"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_MAP_RESIZE, "editor-map-resize", N_("Resize Map"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_MAP_ROTATE, "editor-map-rotate", N_("Rotate Map"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_MAP_GENERATE, "editor-map-generate", N_("Generate Map"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_MAP_APPLY_MASK, "editor-map-apply-mask", N_("Apply a Mask"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_MAP_CREATE_MASK_TO, "editor-map-create-mask-to", N_("Create Mask"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_REFRESH, "editor-refresh", N_("Refresh Display"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_UPDATE_TRANSITIONS, "editor-update-transitions", N_("Update Terrain Transitions"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
		// This item is for binding in the preferences
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_TOGGLE_TRANSITIONS, "editor-toggle-transitions", N_("Toggle Terrain Transition Update"), true, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_AUTO_UPDATE_TRANSITIONS, "editor-auto-update-transitions", N_("Auto-update Terrain Transitions"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
		// The next three are for displaying the different states in the menu
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_NO_UPDATE_TRANSITIONS, "editor-no-update-transitions", N_("Auto-update Terrain Transitions: No"), true, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_PARTIAL_UPDATE_TRANSITIONS, "editor-partial-update-transitions", N_("Auto-update Terrain Transitions: Partial"), true, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },

{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_REFRESH_IMAGE_CACHE, "editor-refresh-image-cache", N_("Refresh Image Cache"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_DRAW_COORDINATES, "editor-draw-coordinates", N_("Draw Hex Coordinates"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_DRAW_TERRAIN_CODES, "editor-draw-terrain-codes", N_("Draw Terrain Codes"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },

{ hotkey::HOTKEY_EDITOR_AREA_DEFINE, "editor-define-area", N_("Define (Time) Area"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_EDITOR, NULL },

{ hotkey::HOTKEY_DELAY_SHROUD, "delayshroud", N_("Delay Shroud Updates"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_UPDATE_SHROUD, "updateshroud", N_("Update Shroud Now"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_CONTINUE_MOVE, "continue", N_("Continue Move"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_SEARCH, "search", N_("Find Label or Unit"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_SPEAK_ALLY, "speaktoally", N_("Speak to Ally"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_SPEAK_ALL, "speaktoall", N_("Speak to All"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_HELP, "help", N_("Help"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_CHAT_LOG, "chatlog", N_("View Chat Log"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_LANGUAGE, "changelanguage", N_("Change Language"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_USER_CMD, "command", N_("Enter User Command"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_CUSTOM_CMD, "customcommand", N_("Custom Command"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_AI_FORMULA, "aiformula", N_("Run Formula"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_CLEAR_MSG, "clearmessages", N_("Clear Messages"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GAME, NULL },
	{ hotkey::TITLE_SCREEN__RELOAD_WML, "title_screen__reload_wml", N_("Refresh WML"), true ,hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::TITLE_SCREEN__NEXT_TIP, "title_screen__next_tip", N_("Next Tip of the Day"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::TITLE_SCREEN__PREVIOUS_TIP, "title_screen__previous_tip", N_("Previous Tip of the Day"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::TITLE_SCREEN__TUTORIAL, "title_screen__tutorial", N_("Start Tutorial"), false	, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::TITLE_SCREEN__CAMPAIGN, "title_screen__campaign", N_("Start Campaign"), false	, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::TITLE_SCREEN__MULTIPLAYER, "title_screen__multiplayer", N_("Start Multiplayer Game"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::TITLE_SCREEN__ADDONS, "title_screen__addons", N_("Manage Add-ons"), false	, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::TITLE_SCREEN__EDITOR, "title_screen__editor", N_("Start Editor"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::TITLE_SCREEN__CREDITS, "title_screen__credits", N_("Show Credits"), false	, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },
	{ hotkey::GLOBAL__HELPTIP, "global__helptip", N_("Show Helptip"), false, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL },

//This list item must stay at the end since it is used as terminator for iterating.
	{ hotkey::HOTKEY_NULL, "null", N_("Unrecognized Command"), true, hotkey::SCOPE_GENERAL, NULL }
};
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

1. (foreground terrain) This is terrain that is super-imposed upon background terrain, for example, embellishments. Toggle between background and foreground terrains with the "Swap foreground/background palette items" command.
2. (background terrain) This is the base terrain, upon which other layers can be placed (i.e foreground terrain). Toggle between background and foreground terrains with the "Swap foreground/background palette items" command.
3. (terrain palette) The palette consists of the currently selected terrain tiles, background and foreground. Toggle between background and foreground terrains with the "Swap foreground/background palette items" command.
5. (paint tool) The paint tool is used to choose your desired terrain tile, and apply it on the selected area.
6. (fill tool) This tool is used to choose a terrain tile and fill the whole map with it. (?)
7. What exactly needs to be explained about layered terrain?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Kanzil wrote:1. (foreground terrain) This is terrain that is super-imposed upon background terrain, for example, embellishments. Toggle between background and foreground terrains with the "Swap foreground/background palette items" command.
No. The foreground terrain is just placed on the hex fields under the cursor (or better brush) locations.
2. (background terrain) This is the base terrain, upon which other layers can be placed (i.e foreground terrain). Toggle between background and foreground terrains with the "Swap foreground/background palette items" command.
The background terrain is used to fill newly created maps and whenever you use the "cut" action.
There is no further difference between background and foreground terrain and no direct relation to the "base terrain" concept.
3. (terrain palette) The palette consists of the currently selected terrain tiles, background and foreground. Toggle between background and foreground terrains with the "Swap foreground/background palette items" command.
That is a little spare, isn't it?
5. (paint tool) The paint tool is used to choose your desired terrain tile, and apply it on the selected area.
There is not much point in producing a description that is less accurate than what we already have in the tooltips/help/preferences string.
6. (fill tool) This tool is used to choose a terrain tile and fill the whole map with it. (?)
No. The fill tool is not working that way. Again, the tooltip is already telling the basics.
7. What exactly needs to be explained about layered terrain?
Well, the concept itself, and how to use them.

I think you should first make yourself familiar with the editor before you produce more text.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Hmm... I'm not particularly good at non-creative writing. It's a little difficult for me, as the terms you describe are not familiar to me, in that they're not really explained elsewhere, making it near-impossible to write a definition of them as I myself am not clear as to what the concepts involve. This makes me a bit useless when it comes to writing a help-guide, because, as it stands, I probably need one. I understand that many of Wesnoth's active players have mathematically-oriented brains, however some of the terms are ambiguous, in that many of the terms could describe several phenomena, and are, more importantly, not necessary. I do not see how a user of the editor would need to know what background terrain is - the problem here is that it is almost blindingly obvious, whilst simultaneously ambiguous and, most likely, a redundant term to the majority. Meanwhile, your description of foreground terrain seemingly implies that the background terrain still remains, and that, much as one applies paint to a base layer, the terrain is built up - however, this could very easily be confused with base terrain. Whilst, perhaps, that is the purpose of a help guide, to alleviate such conundrums, such theory is not necessary, and over-clarification sometimes serves simply to lessen the clarity - "less is more" in the words of Browning.

Essentially, these terms are not necessary except, perhaps, in technical debates - and those who are involved in such discussions are bound to have a basic grounding in such terms anyway. Such terms are not integral to a general understanding of the editor, and simply serve to obfuscate the simplicity that any dictionary or help guide should strive towards, contributing to a general opaqueness, that, whilst undoubtedly thorough and categorical, is against the first principle of transparency in a dictionary ( well possibly the second, after the fact that you cannot use the word you are defining in the definition); the reader should not have to look up any of the words in the definition. The casual reader searching for assistance does not need to be confounded by a barrage of technical terms.

Brevis esse laboro, obscuro fio; I’m sorry I wrote such a long letter, I didn’t have time to write a short one. Sorry for making you go through the ordeal of reading this; basically, I don’t think I’ll be able to do the editor after all – I thought it might be an interesting experience, to write rather more technically than creatively, and perhaps be helpful, however, due to basic misunderstandings about the editor I don’t think I can do it. Very well, Lucrezia: I am judged.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Kanzil wrote:Hmm... I'm not particularly good at non-creative writing.
I wouldn't say that writing a manual is completely non-creative.
It's a little difficult for me, as the terms you describe are not familiar to me, in that they're not really explained elsewhere, making it near-impossible to write a definition of them as I myself am not clear as to what the concepts involve. This makes me a bit useless when it comes to writing a help-guide, because, as it stands, I probably need one.
Well, at least the old editor (and we did only discuss old editor features so far) is used by many UMC designers without consulting a manual.
Most (or only some?) miss some important features, judging from the questions here in the forums.
Still, the majority of people just learn how to use the editor via the learning by doing method.
I understand that many of Wesnoth's active players have mathematically-oriented brains, however some of the terms are ambiguous, in that many of the terms could describe several phenomena, and are, more importantly, not necessary. I do not see how a user of the editor would need to know what background terrain is - the problem here is that it is almost blindingly obvious, whilst simultaneously ambiguous and, most likely, a redundant term to the majority. Meanwhile, your description of foreground terrain seemingly implies that the background terrain still remains, and that, much as one applies paint to a base layer, the terrain is built up - however, this could very easily be confused with base terrain. Whilst, perhaps, that is the purpose of a help guide, to alleviate such conundrums, such theory is not necessary, and over-clarification sometimes serves simply to lessen the clarity - "less is more" in the words of Browning.
I do not see a connection between mathematics and the editor, or the terms we discussed so far.
"Foreground Terrain" and "Background Terrain" are not technical terms.
They were introduced to tell the user that the terrain selected with the right mouse button is used as the "filler" when necessary.
I agree that there is no need to tell the user of the editor how the editor works internally and introducing technical terms used by that internals.
But I fail to see how that applies to the selected terrains.
Essentially, these terms are not necessary except, perhaps, in technical debates - and those who are involved in such discussions are bound to have a basic grounding in such terms anyway. Such terms are not integral to a general understanding of the editor, and simply serve to obfuscate the simplicity that any dictionary or help guide should strive towards, contributing to a general opaqueness, that, whilst undoubtedly thorough and categorical, is against the first principle of transparency in a dictionary ( well possibly the second, after the fact that you cannot use the word you are defining in the definition); the reader should not have to look up any of the words in the definition. The casual reader searching for assistance does not need to be confounded by a barrage of technical terms.
I guess you still have not tried to use the editor yourself, thus you can't judge which terms fall into the category you describe here.
Brevis esse laboro, obscuro fio; I’m sorry I wrote such a long letter, I didn’t have time to write a short one. Sorry for making you go through the ordeal of reading this; basically, I don’t think I’ll be able to do the editor after all – I thought it might be an interesting experience, to write rather more technically than creatively, and perhaps be helpful, however, due to basic misunderstandings about the editor I don’t think I can do it. Very well, Lucrezia: I am judged.
Everything that stands between writing a good manual and your current knowledge is making yourself familiar with the editor, just by using it, like everyone else is doing.

Did you really expect to be able to write a manual without using the tool yourself?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Hello again,
the 1.13 development branch now features the additional editor help section.

Maybe the first few bits of a rough structure help with finding some authors.

https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... r/help.cfg
Nobun
Code Contributor

Post by Nobun »

Well...
while the old map editor really didn't need any help, the new one perhaps need it.

In the first sight of the new editor I discovered some "problems"
1) can define a side only if you create a scenario and not a map, BUT random map generator works only creating a map and not available when creating scenario.

So... if an user want to manage also "scenario tools" generating a random map, simply can't (or it is not so clear how to do it).
Currently, the only way to perform the action seems to me this one:
- create random map
- save random map
- create a new scenario with an empty map with the same size of the generated map
- save scenario
- apply manually the random map generated at steps 1 and 2 and save again the scenario
- and finally open the scenario in order to be allowed to use new scenario benefits

(not: imho I was confortable with the old-style... where map and scenario where well distinguished, but the new tools can be confortable for some operations).

----------------

The Area defining is not intuitive. It is not clear if yoiu must select terrain tiles before defining Area or not (I assume the answer should be "yes") and however it seems not possible to select-deselect areas... perhaps allowing users to verify somehow if the area selection matches its own desire should be a nice improvements for the future

-----------------

The other things seems, until now, seems enough clear to use, but I'll write here any other reports that can be (I hope) an helpful point.