Interlacing with mainline history

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Interlacing with mainline history

Post by zookeeper »

Aldarisvet wrote:But I did not catched one thing. If there is no Null Stone, how Whiskeyjack suggested Mal-Ravanal would be permanently defeated? What whould prevent him from using that spirit-running away?
Uh, I just found more strict reference that Mal-Ravanal had teleportation skills. Just after duel with Dacyn: "As he lie there mortally wounded I prepared to excise the darkness in his soul. But I hesitated too long... He simply vanished, teleported away. The mage Ravan died that day; yet death is a mere inconvenience to those most skilled in the arts of necromancy...". This duel is a key moment of storyline and without being Silver Mage Ravan just would not be able to do this trick. As I understood this, Ravan teleported away, then, understanding that he is dying and death cannot be avoided, he used spells that made him lich.
I don't think neither is really a problem. His teleportation after losing to Dacyn could just be changed to something like his soul leaving his dying body and vanishing in a puff of ominous smoke. Maybe his lich body isn't his own but something he managed to possess after that, and possibly he can't just keep ejecting his soul intact every time he's defeated without extensive preparation and/or the original body. Or it's just something that Dacyn could have easily prevented if he had anticipated it, so basically a trick that won't work twice against him.

Crackpot theory: in addition to destroying Wesnoth, he wants back his own bones, which are entombed in Weldyn. :mrgreen:
Aldarisvet wrote:Well, I gone to far. For my campaign I am intrested mostly about using Galdren as a source of more prohecies. Zookeper, you did not answered to my previous post about Galdren and his papers, is it possible that king took Galdren's papers and we have potentially more forseeing material about Wesnoth future that I could use in my campaign?
Sure, that's possible. Or Haldric could have later himself written down all the things Galdren told him.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

zookeeper wrote:
Aldarisvet wrote:Well, I gone to far. For my campaign I am intrested mostly about using Galdren as a source of more prohecies. Zookeper, you did not answered to my previous post about Galdren and his papers, is it possible that king took Galdren's papers and we have potentially more forseeing material about Wesnoth future that I could use in my campaign?
Sure, that's possible. Or Haldric could have later himself written down all the things Galdren told him.
Cool, thank you. Then I could solve part of my storyline problems.
zookeeper wrote:
Aldarisvet wrote:But I did not catched one thing. If there is no Null Stone, how Whiskeyjack suggested Mal-Ravanal would be permanently defeated? What whould prevent him from using that spirit-running away?
Uh, I just found more strict reference that Mal-Ravanal had teleportation skills. Just after duel with Dacyn: "As he lie there mortally wounded I prepared to excise the darkness in his soul. But I hesitated too long... He simply vanished, teleported away. The mage Ravan died that day; yet death is a mere inconvenience to those most skilled in the arts of necromancy...". This duel is a key moment of storyline and without being Silver Mage Ravan just would not be able to do this trick. As I understood this, Ravan teleported away, then, understanding that he is dying and death cannot be avoided, he used spells that made him lich.
I don't think neither is really a problem. His teleportation after losing to Dacyn could just be changed to something like his soul leaving his dying body and vanishing in a puff of ominous smoke. Maybe his lich body isn't his own but something he managed to possess after that, and possibly he can't just keep ejecting his soul intact every time he's defeated without extensive preparation and/or the original body. Or it's just something that Dacyn could have easily prevented if he had anticipated it, so basically a trick that won't work twice against him.
Yes, 'puff of ominous smoke' is what is used at first scenario of Dead Waters, as I mentioned. Supposingly that soul of that necromancer, killed by mermen, returned to Mal-Ravanal and he took the soul and put at any of skeletons he have. That version imply that in fact the material body could be destroyed any number of times and the master could each time resurrect the servant with new body, if he wants. This seems logical. Actually I myself use this conception in my campaign. But in case of situation before duel, Ravan, supposingly, had no his master. In my point of view, soul can do nothing without help from material world. And moreover, Ravan obiously did not expected defeat in duel, he was too arrogant for this. So doublty he prepeared some special another body in case of his defeat. So may be he still was silver mage before, he teleported away as still alive silver mage, and then became a lich, and after that he was not using teleportation any more (possibly undead cannot survive teleportation at all, because their connection with material body is too weak to survive the way through astral plane), and used that soul-wandering. Later, being a lich, he of course could prepear some other 'spare' skeletial bodies to settle in. And if Dacyn purposely ceased that Mal-Ravanal soul-wandering at the final battle, I think, that must be clearly identified and explained in the campaign, how he did that.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
GL_Network

Post by GL_Network »

I finished chapters I and II of your campaign at last. As a general comment, I noticed a lot of syntax errors and awkward phrasings. However, we can understand the meaning of the text as we read it, so it's not terrible. It can be improved though.

My comments scenario by scenario are as follow:
Chapter I:
-Scenario 1 is the easiest of that chapter, thanks to Velendar's ambush. However, it is still hard and slightly RNG-based, despite your efforts to the contrary. Also, is there any reason [censored] One (one of the goblins) has the Weak trait instead of the Dim trait?
-Scenario 2 is clearly not balanced. You have a group of possibly 7 level 1 units (depending on your success in scenario 1) and fight against orcish assassins and wolf riders. Okay, orcish assassins aren't too good against your soullesses, but wolf riders are hard to deal with.
-Scenario 3 is insane. You would have to have terrain advantage, start with a fair amount of soullesses (I had the maximum, 11, and still had some trouble), rotate your units every turn, kill trolls faster than they respawn, and still have RNG by your side to win this. And winning would probably still take many hours.
Chapter II:
-Scenario 4 is insanely easy compared to the scenarios of chapter I. Every horseman can defend a village indefinitely unless outnumbered, and after the spawning of bats has started to decline, they can be sent toward the enemy leaders and kill them in record time. At the beginning you can recruit an horseman every two turns, but by the middle of the time limit, gold is no longer a problem.
-Scenario 5 is also easy, but less so than scenario 4. So there are two teams of dwarves attacking you... except you have level 2 units to defend yourself, and you only really need to survive long enough for your lancers to go toward the gryphon rider leader and kill it. I managed to finish this battle on turn 5.
-I was disappointed in scenario 5. The woses practically do not attack Gorandor, but the will-o-wisps do. I tried to send Gorandor alone toward the destination (with the other characters close to the keep), but he was attacked by the will-o-wisps and killed only a few cases away from his destination. I should also mention that the player has no units that are good at dealing with will-o-wisps (all of them can deal with woses though).

I killed enemy leaders in debug mode in scenario 6, and did the equivalent (by adding insane movement points to Velendar) in scenario 7. I can't comment on these scenarios' balance (or lack thereof). The comment by the elvish scout that the characters cannot stop Morivor is a little confusing to the story though, since the player obviously wins in the end. Also, is there any reason Velendar's name appears twice in the defeat conditions of scenario 7?

I shall comment on the story when chapter 3 is released. For now, I like the plot twists and all, but I know too little of what is actually happening to draw any conclusion.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Wow, great thanks to you!
Can you please copy this post to the development forum (the link is in my signature) and also add replays in that post, so, if you intrested, we can further discuss gameplay of my campaign in a proper place (the writers forum is not a place for this I guess). Also you did not mention in what level of difficulty you played.

And about language, I am not an english native speaker, so I do not have any idea how bad my writings looks for native speaker, I just hoped I do not look totally illiterate. However, I have an agreement with Faelord that he will help to correct my texts, still I need to finish campaign first.
I know too little of what is actually happening to draw any conclusion.
Yes, this is going to be detecitive-like story a bit. Part of questions will be resolved just in the beggining dialog of chapter 3. The problem is that I myself still do not know fully what is happening, because, as said, the campaign storyline living its own life at my head. Well, probably not in my head, it is already exists in the world of ideas, and I am just too slowpoke for now to give it full birth through my brains.
GL_Network wrote: The comment by the elvish scout that the characters cannot stop Morivor is a little confusing to the story though, since the player obviously wins in the end.
The player just have to move Velendar to the isle, that does not mean he won something. From the final dialog and animations it is obvious that no one wins anyone, they just all together teleport out. From this begins Velendar&Solaevin study at the silver mage academy so events of the chapter 3 will start only 7 years later, when both will became a silver mages with teleportation ability.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains