The steppe that used to be north of Lintanir

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eagle_11

The steppe that used to be north of Lintanir

Post by Eagle_11 »

where would it have gone to ? since it was odd to have an steppe so far up there, it should've been an tundra at the first place.
If you ask me i'd probably place it due east-south east of Lintanir's other edge, with the steppe's southern edge touching Lake Aoir(for those that have seen the combined umc big-map).

Did it simply get flooded ? if this is the answer then it must be polar caps melting and rising the sea level or such, as it was rather large swathe of land.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: The steppe that used to be north of Lintanir

Post by zookeeper »

Wild Steppe? It was simply left out of the new map(s). Or, if you prefer, it still exists slightly off-map, northeast of Lintanir.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Regarding the steppe in the north weirdness:
I have recently been on a holiday in Norway and I can tell you that tundras are in the north, but really, really far north (in the southern part of Norway, there is a tundra, but it is on a mountain plateau with altitude around 1500 metres and there are forests in altitudes around 1200 metres). Steppes can be in the north too (the steppes in Russia are also in temperatures similar to Scandinavian). Steppes form where the precipitation is low, it has little to do with temperature (cold sea currents usually cause low precipitation). Tundras form where the temperature is too low for anything else but grass and lichen to grow (temperatures like 5°C in summer are usual).
Proof: Latitude 62°, altitude about 1400m... see? Tundra just starts there:
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

besides, is there any indication of how far North is the Lintanir forest etc. , in term of latitude?
SotBE, which is the campaign taking place the most in the North, still shows quite normal vegetation IIRC (except in the desert bit, but that's not quite connected to latitude).
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

it still exists slightly off-map, northeast of Lintanir.
Ok, thats where ill be placing the Khaganate, and now can go develop their lore.
Dugi wrote: :eng:
TIL
is there any indication of how far North is the Lintanir forest etc. , in term of latitude?
Umc like Archaic era campaigns show the northern 'peninsula' the orcish clannate is on to be almost arctic.
I had imagine Lintanir to slowly transition into Boreal forest as nearing the northern shore.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Eagle_11 wrote: Umc like Archaic era campaigns show the northern 'peninsula' the orcish clannate is on to be almost arctic.
I had imagine Lintanir to slowly transition into Boreal forest as nearing the northern shore.
The maps seem to show the northern lands quite large, if I try to set the scale and latitudes, and compare it to Europe, the northern parts will inevitably end up being a tundra. The author of Bad Moon Rising probably figured that out.
climate.png
climate.png (472.07 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
However, the northern parts should be actually smaller, just the map has a bad scale. If the north was moved a bit more northward, there would be permanent ice where Wild Steppe is supposed to be. Wesnoth is placed south enough, there is a desert south of it and typical sandy deserts can't be on latitudes over 40°. With this scale, all winters in Wesnoth have to be mild with little to no snow, as wesnoth would have to be on similar latitudes than southern borders France or Balkan.
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Interesting, I never had quite a good sense of distances in the Wesnoth world. Assuming Irdya has the same radius as Earth, 10 degrees are 1111 km, which would make the map quite larger than what I usually imagine. Depending on the projection, however, it well may be that the north-most part appears larger than what actually is, and real distances there are shorter. Not that I expect who draw this map to have thought about projections, just saying..

Another thing I'd consider is that the continent is pretty 'squared', so the climate in the inner part will be harsher than in the coast. 40 degrees is the latitude of southern France, but also of Toronto and of the Gobi desert, so either deserts or snowy winters are not impossible there, depending on other factors (I'm also assuming that Irdya's inclination is similar to Earth's, as it is quite clear from campaigns that there are earth-like seasons).