1.12 MP campaigns bugs thread

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
max_torch
Inactive Developer

1.12 MP campaigns bugs thread

Post by max_torch »

I haven't seen a thread with this title. Do you guys agree it is a good idea to put all bugs involving MP campaigns in this place first, so we can sort which ones are specific to a campaign and which ones are generally occurring throughout all of them, regardless of whether it is mainline or not?
Note: Windows users were playing the 1.12 package released after Nov. 21
Bugs I have observed:

Both in LoW and Ooze Mini-campaign - I noticed that for the host the names of the enemy leaders are the host's name but for the other players the names of the enemy leaders are correct.
screen1.png
Tested in Mini-ooze campaign - reloading of campaign causes host to have control of all enemies
Actually also happened when we reloaded a game of LoW, but that was during version 1.11.18

Experienced scenario advancement problems in both LoW and Mini-ooze campaign:
When we advance from 1-->2 in LoW, the bonus gold is given twice.
When we exit from 2nd scenario in LoW and go all the way to main menu and then back to the scenario our gold value becomes correct however we are unable to advance from 2-->3 because it says Unkown Scenario 03 Kalian Under Attack.
Advancing from 1-->2 in Mini-ooze campaign caused OOS, and the other player had to quit, but the other player left the main menu, fixed a faulty ifdef line and then rejoined and we were able to play scenario 2 then when we tried to advance from scenario 2-->3 once again the other player had OOS and had to quit and so we stopped there.

Please everyone let's report the bugs that we encounter
Last edited by max_torch on November 25th, 2014, 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: 1.12 MP campaigns bugs thread

Post by gfgtdf »

to fix the wrong names you can try to put unrenamable=yes in the [side]/[unit] tag for the enemy leader
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
kiss

Post by kiss »

gfgtdf wrote:to fix the wrong names you can try to put unrenamable=yes in the [side]/[unit] tag for the enemy leader
I've tried that today with two clients. I've added unrenamable=yes in the [side] tag on host. It doesn't change anything for LoW.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

kiss wrote:
gfgtdf wrote:to fix the wrong names you can try to put unrenamable=yes in the [side]/[unit] tag for the enemy leader
I've tried that today with two clients. I've added unrenamable=yes in the [side] tag on host. It doesn't change anything for LoW.
i just tested exactly that on Low first scenario 2 minures ago and it worked well.

EDIT:
I also tested "Advancing from 1-->2 in Mini-ooze campaign caused OOS" but i could not reproduce.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

While replicating the Ooze campaign problem I started suspecting that LoW unknown scenario is from same thing, ifdef doesnt look for multiplayer. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 81#p578081
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

max_torch wrote:Tested in Mini-ooze campaign - reloading of campaign causes host to have control of all enemies.
I have seen this too, in MP campaigns since 1.16.

I just come across two weird things whilst testing out a 1.12 port of my campaign The Altaz Mariners.

1. Previously, setting a side to team_name=1,2 would make it friendly to both sides 1 and 2. Now, it makes them hostile to both. If this is intended, it screws up many things. If not, it's a bad bug for the same reason. (The wiki says: "Sides with the same team_name are allied.")

2. Ending a scenario with endlevel now brings up an interlude game set-up screen (the game release notes mention this new feature.) I can't work why this would be useful, nor how to turn it off. It seems setting next_scenario loads the next scenario straight away, but using endlevel always brings up this interlude set-up screen. This is a bugger for TAM as there's so many quick scenario changes. Is there a key to disable it that has not yet made it onto the wiki? Please.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:
max_torch wrote:Tested in Mini-ooze campaign - reloading of campaign causes host to have control of all enemies.
I have seen this too, in MP campaigns since 1.16.
Yes, I have seen numerous complains about this bug and as version after version it was not solved, I did a report to gna. Even still in 1.12 bug is present and for a developer answer in this forum I deduced he has intended this bug was never reported properly... weird :?

For campaign developers I want advise debug mode can cheat you using different carryover percentage that your scenario has as settings. When I reported this as a bug I was told that behavior was intended... so dont expect any fix and use debug suspiciously :eng:
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Bob:

There were many changes to the code that sets up games in 1.12. You would have to ask thunderstruck to be sure.

> 2. Ending a scenario with endlevel now brings up an interlude game set-up screen

This can be disabled by putting "allow_new_game = no". The behavior in 1.12 is that if "allow_new_game = yes", then whenever the scenario is transitioned to there will be an interlude with the game setup screen. I think the intention is so that if players want to change the settings / swap which campaign side they are playing or something like this, they can easily do it.

> 1. Previously, setting a side to team_name=1,2 would make it friendly to both sides 1 and 2. Now, it makes them hostile to both.

I never heard of this report before, if you think it's severe enough to block next release then it should go on gna. But, I would want to see the whole scenario to decide if it's a bug.

Edit: One thing that I think would be really good for all mp campaign people to be aware of is that there has been a basic change in what some of the options in the mp create screen do. In 1.10, if you check "use map settings" it affects the first scenario but it doesn't continue to affect your whole campaign. In 1.12 though I *think* that it basically does. Every time a new scenario is started, the side engine is going to do checks against the use_map_settings option you picked when you started the campaign. This sounds reasonable but it's not how it worked in 1.10 and probably none of you are expecting it (I don't remember if it was in release notes, I simply noticed it in the code).
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

iceiceice wrote:This can be disabled by putting "allow_new_game = no". The behavior in 1.12 is that if "allow_new_game = yes", then whenever the scenario is transitioned to there will be an interlude with the game setup screen.
Are you sure? I get the interlude even on progressing to maps set to allow_new_game=no. Is it a bug or am I missing something?

I've realised that the other problem I mentioned (sides fighting each other) is related. The UI in the set-up interlude cannot handle multiple team names, so whereas a scenario might define a side's alliances as team_name=1,2 the interlude screen seems to override that and default it to team_name=2.
iceiceice wrote:Edit: One thing that I think would be really good for all mp campaign people to be aware of is that there has been a basic change in what some of the options in the mp create screen do. In 1.10, if you check "use map settings" it affects the first scenario but it doesn't continue to affect your whole campaign. In 1.12 though I *think* that it basically does. Every time a new scenario is started, the side engine is going to do checks against the use_map_settings option you picked when you started the campaign. This sounds reasonable but it's not how it worked in 1.10 and probably none of you are expecting it (I don't remember if it was in release notes, I simply noticed it in the code).
I must say I never noticed that in 1.10. Can you give an example of how it might change things? Since fog and shroud are affected by map settings, surely it doesn't mean a campaign is stuck with the same fog/shroud settings throughout?
My current projects:
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Well, I've reported the above bug/s: https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?23000
My current projects:
kiss

Post by kiss »

gfgtdf wrote:i just tested exactly that on Low first scenario 2 minures ago and it worked well.
Cool, no need to spend more time on that it will be fix with next release.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

kiss wrote: Cool, no need to spend more time on that it will be fix with next release.
i tested on 1.12.0, the same relaese that you have.
kiss

Post by kiss »

Yep, and?
Sorry, I don't understand, not your words, but ... the idea.
Baryon

Post by Baryon »

max_torch wrote: Both in LoW and Ooze Mini-campaign - I noticed that for the host the names of the enemy leaders are the host's name but for the other players the names of the enemy leaders are correct.
For me it is more serious still: whenever I reload a MP map, the host actually has control of the enemy sides. This means our game is unplayable. It was working up until we reloaded.
It has happened with LoW and another campaign (Brotherhood of Light), so I assume it will happen with all MP campaigns.
I am on the Linux x64 version, my friend is on Windows and it happened for both of us regardless of who was hosting.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Update:

1. Bug: allow_new_game=no fails to disable the new MP set-up interlude screen.
Status: Debug mode overrides the allow_new_game key, so it works as advertised. My bad.

2. Bug: The MP set-up interlude screen doesn't cater for mixed alliances (e.g. team_name=1,2), which may cause some allies to attack you.

3. Bug: Reloading causes ai sides to be assigned incorrectly.

EDIT:

I've noticed another issue, which may or may not be related to number 3...

4. Bug: In MP games, AI leaders seem to lose their names, defaulting instead to 'Computer Player X'.
My current projects: