Unsupported Charset Error

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
FaeLord

Unsupported Charset Error

Post by FaeLord »

Hi All:

Just released my third campaign, Alariel's Journey, and I'm getting reports of the following error:

Invalid or unsupported charset; utf8 or add-ons/Alariels_Journey/translations.

One player said this is crashing the game for him. Players are on Windows 7 using a 1.12 permutation of Wesnoth. I have encountered no such error in my test plays, but I tested this on OS-X only. Anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Error screen shot is attached!

Thanks
-=FL=-
Attachments
error_screen_shotus.jpg
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Unsupported Charset Error

Post by zookeeper »

This is the culprit:

Code: Select all

[textdomain] 
	name="wesnoth-Alariels_Journey" path="data/add-ons/Alariels_Journey/translations"
[/textdomain]
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I can confirm, and it somehow seems to be a Windows-specific issue. Hopefully we’ll figure out a fix for 1.12.5.

EDIT: Tracking as bug #23839 [Gna.org].

EDIT2: Committed the fix — it will be in 1.12.5.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Blast me for a noob (which I'm not, but anyway . . . :twisted: ) I don't see what the problem is here. All of the main.cfg files for all three of the campaigns I've done are exactly the same regarding this. What needs to be done to fix it?

Thanks
-=Fl=-
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

I think the issue they are talking about is that the code is missing a line break between attributes (as mentioned in the most recent comment for bug #23839 [Gna.org]).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Yes. The missing line break results in this being interpreted as a declaration for a textdomain named wesnoth-Alariels_Journeypath=data/add-ons/Alariels_Journey/translations or so, which contains at least one slash in its name.

This wouldn’t have caused issues for any versions earlier than Wesnoth 1.11.19 on Windows other than your translations not working at all, but for 1.11.19 and later it results in unusual behavior due to a change in the implementation of translation support.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Ah, so. I thought that might be it. Two of my campaigns are missing the line break and one has a line break in the main.cfg. The two without line break are throwing this error, so of course, you are correct. Thanks for your help. I'll get this corrected in both campaigns today.