Remote Host Disconnected Problem

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
The Doctor

Remote Host Disconnected Problem

Post by The Doctor »

I've got problems with accessing in-game addon downloads and Internet Multiplayer. I have Internet connection and everything, but when I click either Get Addons or Multiplayer -> Join Official Server it instantly says "Remote Host Disconnected. I haven't been able to fix it, does anyone know what's wrong and how I can fix it?
Attention!
I've decided that Wesnoth is not for me. It's not my kinda game, and I realise that I do not enjoy making campaigns for it. I will continue to visit the forums and play, but I will never have anything to do with WML.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Are you behind any corporate firewalls, etc? Any barrier between network connections (closed ports specifically) may lead to errors between the client (BfW) and the MP server. However, from my experience, such conditions would lead to instant error message "could not connect to host", instead of "connection timed out" when you timed out trying to connect.
Take a breath.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

So... is there any special way to set up Wesnoth to connect to the Internet? Because I don't think it can see my connection.
Attention!
I've decided that Wesnoth is not for me. It's not my kinda game, and I realise that I do not enjoy making campaigns for it. I will continue to visit the forums and play, but I will never have anything to do with WML.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

1) Your Operating System
2) Wesnoth version
3) Official or selfcompiled
4) Your internet connection type
5) Your firewall (if any)

When you give above information we may start trying to help you.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Oh, right.

1.) Ubuntu, Gutsy Gibbon
2.) 1.2.6
3.) What do you mean?
4.) Not sure, I can tell you my we use Internode, Broadband, and I go through a LAN network to my Dad's PC.
5.) I don't think I have any.
Attention!
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

try using 1.2.8 and see if it helps at all.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

The Doctor wrote: 4.) Not sure, I can tell you my we use Internode, Broadband, and I go through a LAN network to my Dad's PC.
Do you use a proxy server to connect to the internet? (Maybe check the proxy settings of your browser to see if anything is set there.)
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Weeksy wrote:try using 1.2.8 and see if it helps at all.
There is no 1.2.8 for and Ubuntu distribution. The highest I could find was 1.2.6. :(
Soliton wrote:
The Doctor wrote: 4.) Not sure, I can tell you my we use Internode, Broadband, and I go through a LAN network to my Dad's PC.
Do you use a proxy server to connect to the internet? (Maybe check the proxy settings of your browser to see if anything is set there.)
I don't think that anything there would be stopping it, but I'll have a look.
Attention!
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

The Doctor wrote:
Soliton wrote:Do you use a proxy server to connect to the internet? (Maybe check the proxy settings of your browser to see if anything is set there.)
I don't think that anything there would be stopping it, but I'll have a look.
I don't think so either because that makes no sense.
It was a hint for you how to find out whether you use a proxy or not since it seemed to me you have no clue about your network setup. :P
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Eh, not really. I don't care much for that. So... any other suggestions?
Attention!
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

The Doctor wrote:Eh, not really. I don't care much for that. So... any other suggestions?
You don't care much for what? Your network setup? How do you expect anyone to be able to help you with your network issues then..? :roll:
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Heh, well, anyway...

I figured out the problem. We do have a firewall, my Dad told me last night. The damn thing is blocking the connection, so that's why it's not working. Does anyone know how to set Wesnoth to bypass a firewall?
Attention!
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

:? This is weird. I remember replying in this thread yesterday. I suggested compiling 1.2.8 from source code. I remember seeing the post in the topic and everything.

Did the forum eat my post? I'm pretty sure it happened on another topic a while ago as well.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Hey, I remember that! Oh well, it doesn't matter now, it wouldn't have done anything, as it's the damn firewall that's blocking the connection. Stupid damn firewall, I'll summon my level 3 merman javelineer to pwn ur stupid fire butt!
Attention!
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

You don't set Wesnoth to bypass the firewall; you set the firewall to allow Wesnoth to connect.
See here.
Take a breath.