My game reset and all my files disappeared

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
ArmokGoB

My game reset and all my files disappeared

Post by ArmokGoB »

I tried starting up Wesnoth 1.12.6 on my Windows 10 64-bit laptop, but the game wouldn't run. I restarted my computer and found the game would only run if I ran it as an admin. The game booted without any of my preferences and the two maps that I spent 8 hours yesterday making are both gone. All my add-ons are also gone. I checked a document that was edited in between this and last time I played and the changes I made were still there, so my computer didn't roll back. I'm pretty pissed.

EDIT: I found backups of my saves in VirtualStore.

EDIT 2: I reinstalled the game and now it won't even run as an admin. I get like an eighth of a second of my cursor turning into a loading icon and then the game stops without even opening a window. While typing this, I just realized that the game won't fix your resolution and won't boot if your display is set larger than what you currently have. I have a 2560x1440 monitor that I plug my 1920x1080 laptop into when I'm in my dorm, so the game wouldn't load because the display size was too big. I fixed it by editing the preferences file in Documents/My Games/... to have the correct resolution. Still doesn't explain the missing files though...
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: My game reset and all my files disappeared

Post by Iris »

ArmokGoB wrote:I tried starting up Wesnoth 1.12.6 on my Windows 10 64-bit laptop, but the game wouldn't run. I restarted my computer and found the game would only run if I ran it as an admin. The game booted without any of my preferences and the two maps that I spent 8 hours yesterday making are both gone. All my add-ons are also gone. I checked a document that was edited in between this and last time I played and the changes I made were still there, so my computer didn't roll back. I'm pretty pissed.

EDIT: I found backups of my saves in VirtualStore.
Your add-ons and maps should also be in the VirtualStore userdata tree, under data\add-ons\ and editor\maps\, respectively. Wesnoth wouldn’t delete them on its own at any time and hopefully Windows wouldn’t do that either even if the VirtualStore mechanism got confused in some way (which is probably what happened to you, and has happened to a number of people running Windows 8.1 before).

Do note that it’s precisely because of issues like this that the recommendation for 1.12.x now is to choose to store your player files in Documents when installing, and the option to keep them in the install folder was completely removed in 1.13.x. Running the game with elevated privileges is a valid workaround but it also puts you at risk in case of any bugs in Wesnoth or the libraries it uses.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.