Dialogue Portraits Devolving

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Dialogue Portraits Devolving

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi,

I downloaded 1.9.5 and noticed the portraits continue to get worse (it started with 1.9.3: http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?p=469014#p469014 ). It's like they now use a faster scaling method?
most obvious on hair and face
most obvious on hair and face
195p-white.png (192.18 KiB) Viewed 5512 times
most obvious on sword and cape near left edge of image
most obvious on sword and cape near left edge of image
195p-orc.png (185.98 KiB) Viewed 5512 times
I run BfW in 1024X768. Also, I don't think it is the images themselves because it happens when you use the same exact image for both 1.9.4 and 1.9.5.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
AI
Developer

Re: Dialogue Portraits Devolving

Post by AI »

Apparently the portraits still get scaled. This is not intentional (unless the screen is tiny, but the definition of tiny doesn't fit your screen), so perhaps it should be filed as a bug.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

I guess this is a dumb question, but has 1.9.5 even been released?
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

It hasn't officially been released, because the Mac OS X version isn't ready yet. It's possible as of now to get the Windows version of 1.9.5 from souceforge, which is what doofus is/was talking about.
Last edited by Mountain_King on March 30th, 2011, 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Mountain_King wrote:It hasn't officially been released, because the Mac OS X version isn't ready yet. It's possible as of now to get the Windows version of 1.9.5 from souceforge, which is what doofus is/was talking about.
Fixed it for you.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

:mrgreen:

Post 400. How...uninspiring.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

So if I were to say that I have such a package....
package!.png
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

I guess you followed my instructions and made a package? I'm impressed. :) If you upload it somewhere, I'll test it and put it on SF. You did make sure to include translations, update version numbers in Info.plist, and update the changelog in the nib file? If so it should all be good!

The reason I haven't done it yet, is that I upgraded to Xcode 4, and it drops support for all previous OSs, and I didn't want to drop support for PPC and 10.4 quite yet. So instead, I've been getting Jetrel to do it; but I've been traveling, only found out about the problems a day after it was released, and then we had some issues... so here we are. Anyway, it would be great if you could upload that.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Ahem. Back on topic:
This action does seem to be responsible for the degraded quality.
I'm still hoping we can go back to the good old days of less scaling (pre-1.9.3), but that might be harder to figure out.
Attachments
httt-193-5.png
httt-193-5.png (134.51 KiB) Viewed 5248 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The overzealous scaling decision was introduced around [rev]47766[/rev] IIRC, and I believe this had something to do with Elilmandur-Rithrandil’s portrait for TRoW.

I’m not completely sure about the revision number, and reverting this and the other suspicious commit ([rev]48219[/rev]) is not directly possible because of some latter changes. Someone with more energy could try reverting those, resolving the conflicts and testing. ^_^
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.