Wesnoth 1.13.5

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Whiskeyjack

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.5

Post by Whiskeyjack »

So it goes as follows: Every version of Wesnoth has it´s own install location (e.g. 1.12.4, 1.12.5, 1.13.1). Then you have a folder with addons, saved games and stuff for every release series (so one for 1.12, one for 1.13, and so forth). Therefore installations of the same series share that stuff, but not between different series. This never produced any problems for me so far, I think.

Getting an explanation on the Download page probably wouldn´t hurt though.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

You could also have multiple installations of the same series with different userdata dirs, though, at least on Windows (using a shortcut that passes the --userdata-dir= flag). Not sure if it's possible on OSX. I imagine Linux distros can do it somehow.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

My experience on linux has been that the userdata dir is automatically confiugred to be `~/.local/share/wesnoth/1.10` or `~.local/share/wesnoth/1.12`, etc. I also have a 1.13 directory, so I don't think that was created by a package, I think folder was created by the game itself when I ran it after compiling master.

I don't get `1.xx.yy` folders, only `1.xx` folders.

IIRC all patchlevel releases `1.xx.yy` are supposed to be compatible, and saved-games are supposed to work across e.g. `1.12.1`, `1.12.2`, etc.

And I guess add-ons are treated similarly, they are supposed to target the `1.xx` version. We don't have a `1.12.1`, `1.12.2`, `1.12.3` etc. add-on server, only a `1.12` addon server.

I would imagine that if for some reason you wanted to have multiple parallel installs for versions differing in patchlevel, you could configure a different userdata dir with cmake or scons maybe and do `make install`?

I never actually did that. Instead I just use the default configuration, and when I want to check out an old version, I just checkout that tag in git and rebuild. It only takes like 20 minutes maybe, and you won't have to reinstall all your addons when a new 1.13.x release is made. (I guess you could just copy the userdata dir after installing in most cases?)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

iceiceice wrote:would imagine that if for some reason you wanted to have multiple parallel installs for versions differing in patchlevel, you could configure a different userdata dir with cmake or scons maybe and do `make install`?
That's what I do, for scons install on linux:
- I run scons --help and that generates a file called ".scons-option-cache"
- edit that file to add the line version_suffix = 'whatever_you_want'
- run scons --help to verify what that is going to do
- run scons and go rotate your tires or stare heroically into the setting sun for a while.
- if you want to install, instead of running from the decompressed source code, run scons install, but it isn't necessary. The user data, such as what add-ons and save-files you have, will be put in a new directory. So you'll have to copy-paste a lot of files to your new user data, but at least it is all independent, and when things break down in the fresh BfW version, but still work in the older version, you know where to point the finger.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Well, you can pass as many options as you want to scons without having to do the --help[tt] and file edit dance — e.g. [c]scons version_suffix=whatever ccache=true cxxtool=some-non-default-compiler build=debug[/c]. Generally it’s going to do whatever it is told to unless something seems wrong, in which case it’ll visibly alert you at the start and probably quit. The point is that you really shouldn’t ever need to manually edit the config file.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Sire

Post by Sire »

I know I am extremely late on this subject, but decided to also post that I am not a fan of the race and alignment icons in the new UI. I dislike the look of the icons and find that simple text conveys the message much better, as well as being more UMC friendly.

Also, when attempting to load a game, the window is extremely small compared to 1.12.6. This may be because I only had 3 saved games at the time, but still.
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

There were a number of issues about dialog window sizes. Most of these should be fixed when 1.13.6 is tagged and released.

The Load dialog was especially troubling to me and is much better on 1.13.5+dev ...
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

The load dialog's size reflects the number of saves installed. You have more saves in 1.12, so it appears larger.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Smok

Post by Smok »

When i try to start multiplayer scenario i can't unles i put [side] tag for each side in scenario file. Starting positions on map are set. I don't have this problem in stable version. It's bug or feature?