1.12: GUI colors and new map editor

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nobun
Code Contributor

1.12: GUI colors and new map editor

Post by Nobun »

1) GUI Color:
The current "blue" theme has a bad impact in eyes.
I will try to explain better. The color itself is surely nice and appealing, but it stress to much the eyes.
For people like me (and perhaps for epileptic peopole) is disturbing. The old greyed-coloured theme was much more relaxing and confortable.
So I'd suggest to re-enable grayed version and let users choose its own favourite color (so... people who has no problems and who likes the current color can mantain it, but people that find more confortable a more relaxing color can choose the classic-greyed theme).

2) Map editor.
Map editor seems sooo complex at first view :shock:
Perhaps it is an impression... I am not used to see so much options, and I am a bit disoriented.

However, one of the first thing I noted, it is the "command that required defined side".... but I don't see anywhere any command to define a side into gui. Perhaps I am missing something? :hmm:

However I have here a suggestion similar (but different) to the first one I said about Gui color.
The suggestion is to allow, somehow, to filter or cathegorize better every options, expecially if you plan to add more features...

Instead of having a lot of buttons for everything (that can be disorienting) it could be an idea to cathegorize somehow the options.

For example... instead of having 2-3 buttons for a village (one for painting village, one for village flag) it could be better to allow user to change village attribute using mouse right-click an already existing village

and so on.

what do you think about it?
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: 1.12: GUI colors and new map editor

Post by Iris »

Nobun wrote:1) GUI Color:
The current "blue" theme has a bad impact in eyes.
I will try to explain better. The color itself is surely nice and appealing, but it stress to much the eyes.
For people like me (and perhaps for epileptic peopole) is disturbing. The old greyed-coloured theme was much more relaxing and confortable.
So I'd suggest to re-enable grayed version and let users choose its own favourite color (so... people who has no problems and who likes the current color can mantain it, but people that find more confortable a more relaxing color can choose the classic-greyed theme).
The 1.10 theme is slated to be reintroduced as an alternative (“Classic” theme) in 1.12.1, but there are a few caveats:
  • The theme selection functionality at this time (and 99% likely for all future 1.12.x versions) is limited to the in-game user interface around the map viewport, including the top/menu bar, minimap display, and sidebar. The editor only accepts a single hard-coded theme for itself.
  • The dialogs, title screen, and MP lobby appearance is not themeable even though half of the underpinnings are already implemented. In particular, this means that it’s not possible to use add-ons to change their layout and graphics, although it is possible to replace them permanently if you know how/someone else builds a replacement package and you are willing to overwrite some of Wesnoth’s core files.
So I suspect this solution is far less than ideal for you.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Nobun
Code Contributor

Post by Nobun »

Thank for your reply, shadow :)

The solution is good if it allows to use the old colors (for example... showing grey buttons instead of blue ones, showing grey background color in MP gamelist and userlist, etc)... the negative impact on eyes is (at least, for me) less strong than MP lobby and menu dialogs (where the blue background does the actual problem).

So... if the change in wesnoth-1.12.1 option that will allow user to select the "classic" theme is able to do those changes, than it will be good enogh

In the other case I can try (if I found time and if I be able to do it) to re-code the old theme (and make a .diff file to give to you)

So the first problem (for me) is to understand exactly where theme is not editable in a "soft" way and where it could require a source edit. I always found wesnoth sources very complex to read, expecially to understand how it is structured and what files I sould look at, for trying to make a change.
Then I need to know what files I should look at (ex. file x,y for lobby; file z,k for dialogues, etc). However I don't know if I will be able to do it (I know c++ a bit, but I am not a real programmer).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Nobun wrote:The solution is good if it allows to use the old colors (for example... showing grey buttons instead of blue ones, showing grey background color in MP gamelist and userlist, etc)... the negative impact on eyes is (at least, for me) less strong than MP lobby and menu dialogs (where the blue background does the actual problem).

So... if the change in wesnoth-1.12.1 option that will allow user to select the "classic" theme is able to do those changes, than it will be good enogh
Nope, it won’t, as I said above.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Nobun
Code Contributor

Post by Nobun »

Thank again :)
Well... the nice thing is that I discovered that the bad-impact can be erased changing the video gamma settings.

In my case (with my laptop) I see that 0.59 gamma is a good setting (then I will try to use higher values, if I can)

on Linux, it is possible to set gamma with

xgamma -gamma 0.59.

---------------------------------

And... what about current editor? there are any plan to simplify its current options? (like the "village example" I said in the first post). And: is there a way to define a side in map editor, or do you need to define manually editing the file with a text editor?

vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Nobun wrote: And: is there a way to define a side in map editor, or do you need to define manually editing the file with a text editor?

Yes. If you create a new scenario with File -> New Scenario, you can add a side with Side -> Add Side.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

If your gamma solution is not good enough, you could change the colors of the icons. The blue checkboxes, radio buttons, sliders and other buttons from the GUI are in wesnoth-1.12.0/images/buttons/. There are a lot of them, but if you can do some batch processing with gimp or something similar, you could make them all grayscale. It would take some work, but some other people might appreciate it too. If the editor icons are bothering you, they are in wesnoth-1.12.0/images/icons/action/.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
johndh

Post by johndh »

It is possible to use ImageMagick to very easily convert a batch of colored images to greyscale via command line with the command

Code: Select all

mkdir bw && for i in <name-of-input-file>; do convert $i -colorspace Gray bw/$i; done
This will create a new folder named "bw" with a greyscale copy of each file you specified in the <name-of-input-file>, or if you don't want to specify a file but just convert everything in the folder, you can put an asterisk:

mkdir bw && for i in *; do convert $i -colorspace Gray bw/$i; done

I tested it with a random sample of PNG and JPG images from my phone and it worked fine, though the images came out a bit dark. To fix that, I ran:

mkdir brighter && for i in *; do convert $i -gamma 1 brighter/$i; done
I used a value of 1 for the gamma and it turned out pretty well, but you might have to play with it a bit to get it just right. The reason these commands makes a new directory is just to keep your converted images separate from your raw files. You can rearrange the files and delete the extra directories as you see fit.

source: http://da.vidr.cc/2008/09/29/converting ... agemagick/
source: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1539 ... -very-dark

ImageMagick should be available in your package manager if it's not already installed.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Nobun
Code Contributor

Post by Nobun »

Thank to all for your suggestions :)

About image conversion: yes... it is a good idea to don't overwrite original files (so I can restore back the original settings) and put the modified ones in a different directory. I have ImageMagick tools already installed in my Ubuntu system, perhaps I will make a try.

@johndh: I didn't understand your last bash script.
I am used to set gamma to my entire screen (by default gamma 1), decreasing when needed (for example sometimes I set it to 0.70 if I must do long work on LibreOffice or similar)... but if I understood well, you are appling a gamma modify in image files itself... right? In that case, correct me if I understood bad, you applied gamma modify to the greyed-modified images, right?
johndh

Post by johndh »

Nobun wrote: you applied gamma modify to the greyed-modified images, right?
That is correct. I don't really understand the technical details, but it makes the image itself brighter.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.