facebook.com/wesnothian - subscribers needed

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aldarisvet
Translator

facebook.com/wesnothian - subscribers needed

Post by Aldarisvet »

I know that there was previous dicussions about it, for example - http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39956
The difference is that I already created page in facebook, and put some posts on it - https://www.facebook.com/wesnothian/
The main problem now is to attract facebook audience on this page.
I myself have professional experience with creating and supporting communities, specifically, trading communites. This is not hard work actually. One post per day would be enough to let the community grow.
Not much professional skills needed, just some creativity.
Russian community in social network vk.com have 1232 members now - http://vk.com/battle_for_wesnoth
Well, this community is created by just schoolboys, really. But the result is really great. It is a largest wesnoth community in the world in social networks.
The second, I guess is Poland community is facebook. https://www.facebook.com/wesnoth/ - 270 members.

For me it would be much easier to advertise game and this page in facebook in Russian audience, because I know where potentially russian players could be found. Of course in some torrents, freeware and 'pirateware' forums and so on.
Harder to get international audience. I already made a post at wesnoth android-port by alessandro pyra in playmarket, however, not sure that english speakers would be able to see it because of regional restrictions. The presence of Wesnoth in google Play market is for sure great factor of spreading wesnoth. I myself would never know about Wesnoth if not it appeared in android.
Also I got an idea that it would be good if wesnoth appeared in apple store
I just found that someone selling wesnoth at itunes
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battle- ... 52062?mt=8
Aside fact that someone selling free game, I cannot post here about my wesnoth facebook page, I have no Apple devices. Why dont someone publish Wesnoth in appstore? Would be great to promote wesnoth I think. However, I have no idea how hard is to implement this.

Probably I will find other ways to promote Wesnoth and my facebook page. Gamers forums and other places.
But for now I kindly ask everyone who, by accident, have a facebook account, to click 'I like it' in my page. It is not very comfortable to promote page which have only 1 subscriber.
Again, it is https://www.facebook.com/wesnothian/
Last edited by Aldarisvet on June 24th, 2016, 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Wesnoth in facebook and other PR

Post by Iris »

Aldarisvet wrote:Also I got an idea that it would be good if wesnoth appeared in apple store
I just found that someone selling wesnoth at itunes
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battle- ... 52062?mt=8
Aside fact that someone selling free game, [...] Why dont someone publish Wesnoth in appstore? Would be great to promote wesnoth I think. However, I have no idea how hard is to implement this.
win84.png
Surely I don’t actually need to mention that we are aware of the iOS port’s existence and presence in the Apple store given the fact that it’s stickied in this forum.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Oh, actually I never visited Users forum before getting hooked by this Wesnoth 'dying' theme, so have not seen that sticked topic. It is just confusing for me that android port is free and iOS not.
By the way, I would be happy, if someone will promote facebook.com/wesnothian page in official Wesnoth twitter. I am quite serious about supporting facebook page, it is not some temporary whim. But it really does do not require much effort, I can afford it.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

I saw the post in the facebook page about the history of wesnoth graphics where you showed the change in the base sprites...
Maybe you can make one also for the portraits, especially the campaign portraits, such as the old Konrad portrait to new Konrad portrait, Old Mal Ravanal Portrait to new Mal Ravanal Portrait, etc..
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

max_torch wrote:I saw the post in the facebook page about the history of wesnoth graphics where you showed the change in the base sprites...
Maybe you can make one also for the portraits, especially the campaign portraits, such as the old Konrad portrait to new Konrad portrait, Old Mal Ravanal Portrait to new Mal Ravanal Portrait, etc..
Yea, thank you, I had that idea. Portraits are big, so probably it will be a theme for many posts, one for every hero.
I have some ideas what kind of posts should be in that page, moreover, I have large Russian community experience to use.
Professionally, it is called 'fan-content', some light and attractive materials that would, from one side, invole newcomers, and from other side, to be 'emotional refreshing' for old players.
But if you have any ideas what should be putted into that page, do not hesitate to write here!

Still for now I need more subscribers, it is too disreputable for such game as Wesnoth to have a page with so few subscribers.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I Suggest posting whenever a New wesnoth Version is released. I don't know if it makes sense to post every New sprite that is posted in The forum, but maybe write siggestions for good or innovative add-ons that you tried.
I already liked The page. :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hmm, I am quite active on Facebook.
@Aldarisvet: my friends will play soon so let me get you some more likes. :D
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Aldarisvet
Translator

Re: facebook.com/wesnothian - subscribers needed

Post by Aldarisvet »

Great thanks to everyone who joined.
Lot of posts already published in the page. All intended to be intresting to wesnoth fans.
On Sunday I advertised page, commenting many wesnoth-related videos in Youtube, inviting people to join facebook.com/wesnothian
Still for now we have just 7 subscribers.
Well, such things demands patience, of course. Getting even 1-2 subscribers per day would be good result, so having 500 subscribers after year of supporting page would be cool. But for getting that result, still some persistency needed, so I kindly ask everyone, who by chance, have account in facebook, to subscribe to facebook.com/wesnothian by clicking 'I like it'.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Speaking of Facebook, I found an interesting thing in the IRC logs:

Code: Select all

20151123 14:14:02-!- Facebook [5770b72c@gateway/web/freenode/ip.87.112.183.44] has joined #wesnoth-dev
20151123 14:14:13-!- Facebook is now known as Wesnoth
20151123 14:14:49< Wesnoth> I seem to accidently created a Facebook group for Wesnoth that was intended for a few friends
20151123 14:14:52< Wesnoth> over the years
20151123 14:15:02< Wesnoth> people have joined the group thinking it is an official thing?
20151123 14:15:15< Wesnoth> Would anyone like to take ownership of the group?
20151123 14:22:20-!- Wesnoth [5770b72c@gateway/web/freenode/ip.87.112.183.44] has quit [Quit: Page closed]
I have no idea who posted it and what group he's talking about, though.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Thank for info.
I suppose it is this group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2204793403/
Just 13 subscribers here. I have 10 already :D
But it is a group, not a page, another format, not that needed. You need to request for getting access to the group.
I already reqested membership in all wesnothian groups, all of them are dead in fact. Only Spain group answered, approved membership, so I was able to post about https://facebook.com/wesnothian there.
Also I made second ride in Youtube yesterday, now all wesnothian-related videos with some number of views got comments about it :lol:
Also I am advertising in game multiplayer server, even just now, by creating game with name about it.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Yesterday was a breakthrough day, 21 subscribers for now!
But today is silent, is this because of Friday?
Every day I publish a 'tricky question' about wesnoth history or gameplay for the audience to answer. Today's question is still unanswered :(
You have a chance to answer it first :P
Kente

Post by Kente »

i joined the group, it would be nice if, once in a while, it could be organized some matchmaking (specially for long game, like mp coop)
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Kente wrote:i joined the group, it would be nice if, once in a while, it could be organized some matchmaking (specially for long game, like mp coop)
Thank you for joining.
I was thinking about making announcements about tournaments. Big Polish-Russian tournament ended not long ago. If someone knew about upcoming tournament, do not hesitate to write it here, I will make advertisement in the page.

Concerning 'mp coop', I guess you mean joint passage of multiplayer campaign or something like this, I suggest you better ask and find a partner in the multiplayer lobby? Need trusted companion for such thing, so I doubt you will find a partner just from the internet.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Got 30 subscribers for 20 days.
Not bad for start but we can go on!
http://facebook.com/wesnothian/
!!!
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I have liked the page now. I'm not on Facebook often.