[POLL] What user made campaigns you like most?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Samonella

Re: [POLL] What user made campaigns you like most?

Post by Samonella »

How is this the first time I saw this topic?? I haven't played too much UMC, but here are three I thought stood out:

1. Ooze-mini campaign
2. A Rough Life
3. A Beastly Tale
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
humanressource

Post by humanressource »

43. Grnk the Mighty
13. Panther Lord
51. Count Kromire
10. Saving Elensefar
30. The Founding of Borstep

Cheers.

PS: Maybe you need to promote this poll a lot more if the topic is of importance to you, mate.
Preferrably using different multipliers, besides the forum I mean. (Since most of the players do not lurk the forums enough to notice this thread. Me myself only noticed because of freakin facebook :lol: )

The current sample size is certainly unacceptible ;)
For we are many!
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

Aw I hope I didn't miss this. Registered as soon as I saw it.

44. A New Order
Spoiler:
73. A Song of Fire
Spoiler:
23. Soldier of Wesnoth
Spoiler:
43. Grnk the Mighty
Spoiler:
4. The Soujournings of Grog
Spoiler:
I've finished a few other campaigns but they didn't leave a lasting impression. Even more have a started, rolled my eyes at the writing(not to be mean) and moved on.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Now it is the time to finalize results. Including me 39 persons voted. It is senseless to wait more, even we do not have much votes because the time is going and in the longterm we are all dead not speaking about Wesnoth. I reserved my vote as final to resolve difficult situations if they would appear but actually it appeared that my vote changed nothing, however for sure I would make different votes in different situation, for example I would vote for Swamplings or Ooze-mini/Elvish Dinasty if they woudnt get needed votes because I like these campaigns too.
So my votes (without preferenсe order) are: Amaranthine Stone (for the bright tale), Panther Lord (for the tactical challenge), A Rough Life (for the sentimental story), Secret of the Ancients (story/tactics/ship), Bad Moon Rising (for great arts).
Now, top-11 winner campaigns are in the diagram image. It could be 11 not 10 because both Ooze-mini and Elvish Dinasty has really tiny size and also one is prequel to another. Winner campaigns got 7 or more votes. The is also a problem with size because these 11 campaigns together with required add-ons weight 269 mb (mostly because of BMR+Trinity=83 mb, To Lands Unknown=61 mb, IftU+AtS=43 mb), it is more than previously planned 200, but I hope it is still ok.

The full list for campaigns that have at least 1 vote is under the spoiler. The unsorted tab-separated raw data in .txt file, can be opened in Excel.
Spoiler:
result.png
vote_final.txt
(5.6 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
As agreed, these 11 campaign-winners will be included as an optional downloadable pack to android version of Wesnoth by Alessandro Pyra which is available to download in Play Market for free. I imply that all authors/maintainers of campaigns winners are ok with it. This would be done with the next release of stable 1.12 version and note that after that the content of the Pack could not be changed till the next release, so no updates would be possible for these campaigns in the Pack. But of course, the user would be able to update these campaigns through add-ons server (the problem is that most of users have no idea about that possibility).
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
humanressource

Post by humanressource »

Oh sweet! Grnk made it! :)
For we are many!
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

A while back on these forums I recommended that BfW received an expansion made of the best campaigns, scenarios, music and utilities. Looks like something like this is happening. Is there any chance you could make this into a download for regular BfW? Yes, I know that you can download the scenarios separately, but having it in one package called the "Battle for Wesnoth Expansion Pack #1" definitely has some merit.
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

Jabie wrote:A while back on these forums I recommended that BfW received an expansion made of the best campaigns, scenarios, music and utilities. Looks like something like this is happening. Is there any chance you could make this into a download for regular BfW? Yes, I know that you can download the scenarios separately, but having it in one package called the "Battle for Wesnoth Expansion Pack #1" definitely has some merit.
It would make sense for this to be a metapackage at least, that is, a package with no real content itself, but dependencies on the add-ons included. It wouldn't be possible to stuff all these add-ons into one blob add-on anyways.
AKA pydsigner
Current maintainer of The North Wind and author of Heroics Mode.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Aldarisvet wrote:This would be done with the next release of stable 1.12 version and note that after that the content of the Pack could not be changed till the next release, so no updates would be possible for these campaigns in the Pack.
Just speaking for BMR&Tinity, there are some custom menus that I know can have trouble at 600x800, and I have no idea what it's like trying to use it on a phone's touch-screen. So, this is supposed to get a wider audience than usual, yet the campaign is being released without any testing on the target system, and I won't be able to fix it. That's a big problem.

So, I must ask that BMR&Trinity be taken off the list. This should help with your pack's size, and gives you a nice 10. If you want a replacement, one of the runners-up, A New Order (long, new units) or Saving Elensefar (world-map, ships) would probably work well.

Thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

2 doofus-01

Thank you, I will look into the issue first in my 4.5" adroid device.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Man... should have joined sooner. It seems that this poll is closed now?
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

The_Gnat wrote:Man... should have joined sooner. It seems that this poll is closed now?
Yes, the vote is closed. Lets concentrate on other issues now.
Like testing campaigns winners.
Jabie wrote: Is there any chance you could make this into a download for regular BfW?
Of course this question was raised during previous discussions (and you can explore the matter yourself), but this is in not on my competence to answer it. I really want to finish this at least on Android and curious to see the effect.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

When will this campaign option button be implemented? Will it be added to 1.12?

Thanks,
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

For now we are speaking only about adding the Pack to this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... wesnoth112
Last edited by Aldarisvet on November 10th, 2016, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Cool, looks interesting, though personally since i can play it on a pc why do it on your phone/tablet also.

Though the idea is good and if it turns out well should definitely be added to the normal wesnoth game also!!!
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

I just want to say that some time ago I communicated with all authors and alep and we agreed to release UMC Pack before December, since the prospects of the next 1.12 release are quite vague. Some authors using that time for making upgrades to their campaigns.

And one another question, since doofus withdrew his campaigns because he fully supports them only for 1.13, we have to accept it. Thank for his sacrifice, this will make the Pack to have significally less size. Well, obviously we can include his campaigns to the Pack for 1.14, as it would be ready and an android port for it would be ready either.