Is the less-randomness mod needed at all

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Dave wrote:... but I also like (...) Settlers of Catan.
I actually think Settlers of Catan randomness is pretty similar to Wesnoth randomess since Catan uses 2 dice which means that some numbers have a higher possibility to appear than others. Even if you build your towns next to "good number hexes" you will never have a guaranty that these hexes will earn you more resources than "bad number hexes". It's the same in Wesnoth: if you put your units in "good defense hexes" it is very likely that they will get hit less than units in "bad defense hexes" but you can never be sure about it.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Sauron

Post by Sauron »

I think in 9 days the poll will close. Sad only 71 persons bothered to vote (or are there only 71 good players [amusing modesty?])

Citizen, YOUR VOTE counts (or stay at home and make the republicans win again :P).
Sauron
Customize yourself random factor in game:
GET my mod [available as C++ sourcecode and compiled Windows executable] for wesnoth 1.6.4
at http://saurons-mod.zor.org/
Mod thread
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26803
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

Sauron wrote:I think in 9 days the poll will close. Sad only 71 persons bothered to vote (or are there only 71 good players [amusing modesty?])

Citizen, YOUR VOTE counts (or stay at home and make the republicans win again :P).
You know, not every good player gets on forums and has an acc, although I guess most of them do. I'm only starting but sure got back on my old forum account and voted, but I'm sure many very experienced players dont bother making accounts, they just read posts or dont even check forums.
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

I voted the middle option.

I'll mention that I don't think the randomness in wesnoth is a bad thing :D
It's what defines the game in many ways.

If you wanted no randomnness at all, you could find a game like fantasy generals or Massive Assault network.
Same kind of strategy (and tile based combat), but no random factor.
Jkun

Post by Jkun »

Luck has no place in a game of strategy and skill, IMO. I definitely think this mod is needed.

I still play Wesnoth anyway, though. ;P
waterd103

Post by waterd103 »

What about this patch? it think it's soo needed.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Sauron wrote:I think in 9 days the poll will close. Sad only 71 persons bothered to vote (or are there only 71 good players [amusing modesty?])
I question your assumptions. I voted and I'm not a good player. :)
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

I didn't know about that mod and I'm currently thinking about downloading 1.0.2 to test how it works.

With that mod, the upper limit may explode and allow the best players to follow the path of progression unto the unreachable high spheres of intellectual calculations. But the current ceiling of progression, set by knowledge of the game (which is deep and constantly evolving) and a good sense of anticipation and concentration, is already quite high.

Arh... I voted second but it's rather a personal opinion, i'll sloppily rally to majority.
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
Sauron

Closing the thread

Post by Sauron »

I would like to thank everybody who voted in the poll. I can see that the split of votes is favourable for the mod. Unfortunately, due to my personal engagements I cannot contemporarily work on the mod. Supposedly (hopefully) I will have time to do the mod during the summer holiday. Anywy - I will have rather few opportunities to play Wesnoth in the future (I have to get on with my personal life). Excuse me giving a promise I was (as it proved) unable to keep.

With the time passing my attitude towards the game changed from chess-approach to entertainment approach and I must admit now I don't feel that bad about luck factor for I do not care whether I win or lose any more (well, mabye when you're beginning to think it IS important whether you lost a game or won one it is a high time to to reconsider the amount of time you allocate on playing Wesnoth). Now I am concentrating on having a good time and RNG influence reduction is not necessary here. It does not mean I have changed my opinion with respect to the RNG's influence on the result of the game. I just put the stress elsewhere and the problem got immaterial.

I think it is high time to close both the poll and the thread.
Sauron
Customize yourself random factor in game:
GET my mod [available as C++ sourcecode and compiled Windows executable] for wesnoth 1.6.4
at http://saurons-mod.zor.org/
Mod thread
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26803