Wesnoth for WebOS/Palm Pre

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

czarphanguye

Wesnoth for WebOS/Palm Pre

Post by czarphanguye »

Can we get a port?
Captain_Wrathbow

Re: Wesnoth for WebOS/Palm Pre

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Great idea! Why don't you get started right now? I'm sure lots of other people would be glad to have this too! Good luck with your new project! :Awesome:
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Great idea! Why don't you get started right now? I'm sure lots of other people would be glad to have this too! Good luck with your new project! :Awesome:
Emphasis mine. There would be lots of people willing to try betas *hinthint*
[Translation] Make an alpha yourself and then let's talk.
Captain_Wrathbow

In a more straightforward way:

Making an entire new port for wesnoth is no simple task. IIRC, Kyle said the iPhone/iPad port took him more than six months, and it's still being worked on.

It's not quite so simple as just making a topic and requesting a new port.

You're welcome to work on it yourself, but it's unlikely that someone would happen to just come along and make a WebOS/Palm Pre port for you.
E_S wrote:Emphasis mine.
:?:
czarphanguye

Post by czarphanguye »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:It's not quite so simple as just making a topic and requesting a new port.
A topic needs to be started some-where, Google Wesnoth WebOS, Nothing... yet. :)
Captain_Wrathbow

True, but it doesn't do much good to ask other people to make a port for you.

Also, I want to apologize or my first post. Looking back, I think it was a bit unnecessarily harsh. :(

And it's kind of an odd circumstance in which to be saying this, but welcome to the forums as well. :)
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Most big projects (like the ports) happen because somebody came along and wanted to make it; not because somebody want to use it.

Kyle came along and made the iphone/ipad ports; but he wasn't asked to.

My point being that, the chances are tiny that someone will come along, see your post and get to work on it. It's more likely that someone will find this project, think like you, and then decide to do a port.
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

I have been contacted by Palm directly to do an WebOS port of Wesnoth, so pending the "go ahead" from Dave I will be putting 2 fulltime engineers on this to make it a reality...
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

KylePoole wrote:I have been contacted by Palm directly to do an WebOS port of Wesnoth, so pending the "go ahead" from Dave I will be putting 2 fulltime engineers on this to make it a reality...
Intriguing. Is Palm offering any incentives for the project? Porting assistance, prominent advertising for Wesnoth, etc?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Try to make sure this time before starting, that the license conditions are fulfillable here.

Edit (after Noy's and shadowmasters responses): Sorry, I didn't mean to start a new legal discussion ... I just thought that evaluating such things before investing money (or work) is better then trying to fix it afterwards.
Feel free to delete this post, if this is against the soft-lock.
Last edited by pauxlo on August 3rd, 2010, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

pauxlo wrote:Try to make sure this time before starting, that the license conditions are fulfillable here.
OMG Thanks Pauxlo! We almost forgot!

How about you try to make sure before posting that you actually know that your comment actually has any utility whatsoever here.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

pauxlo might have forgotten this.

Any further posts on the matter here will be deleted, so play nice people. Consider this thread soft-locked.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Alexandre1545

Post by Alexandre1545 »

Porting Wesnoth to WebOS should not be to complicated, beacause webOS is Linux-based Operating System.
There is some ressource for people who are interested in making a port of Wesnoth to WebOS:
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Portal:SDK
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Portal:Tools
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

Sangel wrote:
KylePoole wrote:I have been contacted by Palm directly to do an WebOS port of Wesnoth, so pending the "go ahead" from Dave I will be putting 2 fulltime engineers on this to make it a reality...
Intriguing. Is Palm offering any incentives for the project? Porting assistance, prominent advertising for Wesnoth, etc?
Yes, they offered to send me a free Palm Pre phone :lol2:
But the project has not started yet because I'm still waiting for the "go ahead", although Palm specifically said that their store and developer terms are very GPL friendly. They even have a special "open source" section and you can choose the license it's under eg BSD,GPL, etc

I'm also willing, ready and able to do ports for Android and Windows Mobile... :whistle:
Maggun

Post by Maggun »

Any updates on this? This game would really be a huge enrichment for webOS. I was thinking about porting it myself but since its allready in the work (or will be soon, apparently) this will not be necessary. If you need any help I would be glad to be of service though.