anyone try this with an xbox 360 controller?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jramsay61

anyone try this with an xbox 360 controller?

Post by jramsay61 »

I'd love to hook this up to my TV and play on the coach, but I'm not sure if that's possible. I tried searching the forums for a similar discussion, but came up empty. Does anyone know if this is possible, and how?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: anyone try this with an xbox 360 controller?

Post by Gambit »

There are programs out there which will bind the analog sticks and buttons to the mouse cursor, and different keystrokes. It really depends on your OS how easy those programs will be to find and setup.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Heh heh heh... Sorta makes me wonder how well this game would port to Xbox Live. (Whatever paltry earnings it made for the Wesnoth Project beign of no object, I just think "Wesnoth Live" would just be an awesome idea, even if, although it sits within the realm of possibility, it is about as farfetched as being chunked out an airlock on one spaceship jsut to be rescued in the nick of time by another ship that has just defolded right next to your position in deep space...)
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

It wouldn't work very well because Wesnoth doesn't really have good control pad support. You might be able to make it so that you can use the control pad to move a mouse cursor around, but I don't think that'd be a very satisfying experience. You'd want control-pad specific support, and I think that'd be a nice thing to have, but we don't have it right now.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

That makes me wonder how it would go on the Wii, since you could point with the Wiimote...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Atz wrote:That makes me wonder how it would go on the Wii, since you could point with the Wiimote...
You don't want to point with the wiimote for a game like Wesnoth. You'd want to use the Wiimote like a traditional controller. That's how strategy games, such as Fire Emblem or Phantom Brave, are implemented on the Wii.

Pointing with the Wiimote just isn't accurate enough to be a very satisfying experience with a game like Wesnoth.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

If you want to play on the sofa, then a tablet PC is ideal. You could pick up a used one for cheap. Just make sure it has some programmable buttons. You will want buttons for control-v, n, and return. (You can change those in Wesnoth, but anyway, you need 3 buttons/keys.) Remember, you can use a Linux tablet PC, though if you want handwriting recognition (for non-Wesnoth use) then Windows 7 rocks and can be used on somewhat primitive hardware.

If you want to play on your TV, try a wireless mouse on your coffee table or on a book beside you. You could try the Logitech MX Air, which can be used in the air (Wii-like) or on a surface.

If you really want to use an Xbox 360 controller, use an AHK script to make it act like a mouse and to program the 3 critical buttons (as per tablet PC.)