Looking for story campaigns

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Whiskeyjack

Looking for story campaigns

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Hello,

so I´m a lazy guy and after scrolling 3 pages in this forum I decided to ask directly, even if this topic probably exists somewhere already. I´m looking for stuff playable on 1.12.1 anyway.
What are campaigns with awesome storylines? Extra features and interesting gameplay is always appreciated (I play the standart stuff since before the release of the Windows version of BfW), but not nessecary. I greatly liked IftU and AtS and have played all main line campaigns, but most of the other stuff is long lost in memories´ shadowlands and shouldn´t pose a problem to suggestions.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Looking for story campaigns

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Campaigns with good story plots? I know quite a few since I have played a lot of UMCs over the years. Here's a list:

1. A Rough Life
I strongly recommend this one. The words have a way of immersing you into the story itself as if you are right there beside Jacques, helping him out. Then again, since you mentioned shadowlands, I speculate that you have already played it.

2. A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Soldier of Wesnoth and Aria of the Dragon-Slayer
These four campaigns make up revansurik's Dragon Trilogy (Soldier of Wesnoth is not part of it, but has elements that suggests that it is). The Dragon Trilogy has an epic and astonishing story featuring the Vampires, Minotaurs, Aragwaith, and yes, Elementals. Plus, it features many new factions into Irdya, unique characters with special AMLAs (for War of the Jewel and Aria of the Dragon Slayer), and many new enemies (Forget it, I provided enough spoilers already)

3. The Sojournings of Grog
Even though the title has a spelling mistake, the awesome story here is more than enough to compensate for it. Play as Grog, the same troll from UtBS, as he returns to the Great Continent and establishes a new home for his people, whilst beating the **** out of Drakes and their.... (I'm not spoiling it... :P )

4. Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm
These campaigns are way too awesome for me to describe them. Since you have already played them, let's move on to the rest.

5. Library of Kratemaqht
The first campaign that features the Old Continent. (There were many before this one, but this is the only complete one). Fight in a Civil War, witness the rise of the First Lich Lord, and learn the origin of Haldric's people.

6. Case of the Missing Scepter
Ignoring the deprecated graphics, if you're a fan of Sherlock Holmes then try this one out.

7. Secrets of the Ancients
The story of how necromancy first originated in Wesnoth.

8. Danse Macabre
Play as undead against a **** load of undead.

9. Swamplings
Always thought goblins were losers? This one will prove you wrong.

10. To Lands Unknown
The first campaign on the Era of Magic. The Multihex terrain will blow you away. You play as the Summoners against well, the rest of the factions (with the exception of the latest one).

11. Oath of Allegiance
Khalifate campaign, but I recommend playing it when it has an epilogue scenario to complete the story.

12. Birth of a Lich
Remember Malifor from Northern Rebirth? Well, this is his origin story.

13. Legend of Far North
Indirect prequel to Son of the Black Eye.

14. Legend of the Invincibles
Hmm, I will let Dugi explain this one :P Longest campaign ever. Highest scenario count (200). Item-equipment system, custom AMLAs, greater advancements and enemies so powerful that you will say 'WTF' 10 times for the later chapters :P

I have omitted campaigns that are incomplete, broken or are ones which I haven't played yet. The Legend Begins is being remade so I recommend playing that after it is completed.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Hey Lord-Knightmare,

thanks a lot, some of those I allready played but others are new to me and I will check them out. :)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:1. A Rough Life
3. The Sojournings of Grog
Well, I'm honored that two of my campaigns are included in your list...
Let me add a few others, then.
  1. The White Troll
    Yes, it's a bit of self-advertisement, but in this case it's deserved. This campaign is a collaborative effort of the whole Wesnoth Italian Forum, and it stayed in Development Hell for a whopping four years, until some of the old authors, joined by some new members (including me), decided to resurrect it. And finally, in 2013 it landed on the official add-ons server.
  2. Fate of a Princess
  3. Brave Wings
  4. Return of the Monster
    Yes, all of SkyOne's campaigns. Even if I played them a long time ago, I still fondly remember them. :)
  5. Grnk the Mighty
    Play as a small goblin that goes to a human city. Unfortunately, Part 2 isn't yet completely finished, due to mattsc needing some specific AI behaviors for it, improving the mainline AI and getting a well deserved Developer title in the process. ;)
  6. Ooze Mini-Campaign
    Really short campaign (if I remember correctly, it's just four scenarios), in which you play as a Mudcrawler. But not everything is like it looks at first sight...
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

**** it, I forgot about SkyOne's campaigns. I played all three of them a long time ago too and well, Brave Wings was the best among them.
The White Troll? I played that one too, but I don't remember its story very well.

Additionally, there were some work-in-progress story lines that were good like Epic of Jalin. Sadly, it was never made into a campaign. :(
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

I think I played FoaP and Brave Wings a long time ago, but like most others I don´t remember them very well. I will probably replay them after some of the stuff I haven´t played at all. Grnk the Mighty I still remember even if I´m not sure if I finished that one, but I will add The White Troll to my list. ;)