[poll] Northern Rebirth unused evil branch poll

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you like to see the evil branch of N.R. mainlined?(this poll is not offical. read below)

Poll ended at May 6th, 2017, 12:58 pm

YESSS!!! I'd love to!
15%
Yes, of course
19%
Would be pretty nice, but i don't care that much
30%
I don't really care
22%
No, i don't really want something like this
11%
Of course not!
4%

Total votes: 27

ForestDragon

[poll] Northern Rebirth unused evil branch poll

Post by ForestDragon »

Since there was a discussion here (please read it first before casting your vote) about whether the currently unused evil branch of Northern Rebirth should be worked on (the original question was whether it is even worked on, or not (the answer is no)). I decided to try to settling this matter by making a poll, out of curiosity. note: I mean that if this branch should be mainlined, then it's require a lot of story (and most likely gameplay) revision, since it's currently incomplete, and has some issues with the plot. for those who are interested, you could look at the files of Northern Rebirth. You'll find the code of the unused scenarios there (story/messages are worth checking out). There also exists a Northern Rebirth remake addon, but it's not supposed to be mainlined, if i am not mistaken.

Disclaimer: this is not official, and i am not going (or even able) to force developers to work on it. This poll is made to see the bfw community's opinion about this topic.

i made the poll last for 30 days, since i know that the bfw community isn't the most active one, to be honest :whistle:
Last edited by ForestDragon on April 6th, 2017, 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
skeptical_troll

Re: [poll] Northern Rebirth unused evil branch poll

Post by skeptical_troll »

the problem is 'worked on' by whom? Since it's a voluntary project, I don't think you can force anyone to work on anything, even if the majority(?) of the users want so. I suppose the first step would be to do some brainstorming (as it was started in the thread you linked), and if people get excited about it, the project will be eventually picked up by somebody or will develop into something more concrete. So maybe you can use this poll just to see how much interest there is around the topic?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

good idea! I guess i'll need to rephrase the poll a bit.

EDIT: done!
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
taptap

Post by taptap »

I rather see fresh new campaigns than someone wasting his time by trying to revive a side arm of a campaign as deeply flawed as Northern Rebirth.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

taptap wrote:I rather see fresh new campaigns than someone wasting his time by trying to revive a side arm of a campaign as deeply flawed as Northern Rebirth.
I agree. but still, as you have most likely have read, i made this poll simply out of curiosity.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

taptap wrote:I rather see fresh new campaigns than someone wasting his time by trying to revive a side arm of a campaign as deeply flawed as Northern Rebirth.
Bravo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still Eastern Invasion probably is worse.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Voted for option #1, since I would love to play as a Death Knight wrecking havoc on the orcs! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Reminds me of all the soulless murdering I end up committing in Skyrim...
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I can't imagine anyone wanting to play NR more than once, but I don't understand some people at all, so to each their own.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

I picked the "would be pretty nice but don't really care option" and then felt a ridiculous surge of joy seeing that option had the highest number of votes. :whistle:

Like some others have pointed out - if any efforts are made to work on this, that would be a waste of energy and goodwill. Tbh, i stopped caring about mainline campaigns many years ago. One can only replay the same stuff so many times. I do replay 1 or 2 mainline campaigns on hard every year, but just for kicks. I'd rather play new and interesting campaigns than replay canon.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Sudipta wrote:I picked the "would be pretty nice but don't really care option" and then felt a ridiculous surge of joy seeing that option had the highest number of votes. :whistle:
fun fact: i even chose this option myself in my own poll, since i technically have that opinion. personally, i don't really care that much, but i was just curious about the community's responce
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Many mainline campaigns are outdated in all aspects (and gameplay aspect is the most weak place because art aspect is gradually improving with time and gameplay is still frozen) but from systematic point of view would it be not right to give up on them. Because they are mainline and they are most played, it is a face of Wesnoth. So, anycase something must be done with NR. I guess developers understands it clearly, just not do have time/have other priorities.
So anycase I am going to progress with my idea that is decribed in writers forum.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains