1.13 graphic settings

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

taptap

1.13 graphic settings

Post by taptap »

I installed 1.13.x today and I have a problem... Is there any way to turn off the all around bobbing without also turning off flying animations? They both count as standing animations right?
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: 1.13 graphic settings

Post by zookeeper »

No and yes.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Although not convenient, a good way to solve this problem would be to enter the 1.13 files and remove the standing animations from most units. It's be as simple as finding the appropriately labeled tags ([standing] probably) and deleting them and everything in-between.

I too find a lot of standing animations unrestful.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

+1 to separating flying animations from looped standing animations- the occasional animations, ex. the skelly playing with his skull, are fun and not really distracting.

Another separation that would be nice is the halo group, it includes both halos and magic attacks, so turning halos off makes magic attacks invisible. It'd make sense to have it only affect halos (bonus: separate and give halos a transparency slider).
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've made my thoughts on the idiotic bouncing animations known before, I definitely support their being separated from the flying animations (or even standing animations in general, where a torch could have an animated flame, for one example). Flying animations provide some information ("this unit can fly"); the bouncing animations are pure noise (they also look really silly).
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

For what it's worth, the Generic Animations code could probably be (heavily) re-jiggered to affect only non-flying standing animations. Might not even be overkill if there's not much other solutions.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Thanks all, advice and commiseration, all appreciated. I am going to do it myself so I can have a look at each animation I take out, but I guess there will be a more general use for something similar when 1.14 arrives in earnest. (I am really wondering what the art department is thinking to run even the nice animations in double speed by default for the benefit of people annoyed by them, but add heavy breathing for whole armies.)
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

taptap wrote:(I am really wondering what the art department is thinking to run even the nice animations in double speed by default for the benefit of people annoyed by them, but add heavy breathing for whole armies.)
What double speed by default? Are you saying the default is 1) acceleration on and 2) acceleration at 2x? If that's the case then I'm pleasantly surprised, although I do prefer 1.75x myself... :whistle: I can't imagine anyone preferring seriously playing the game without acceleration, so to me it certainly makes sense to have acceleration on by default, because having it off by default would signal that that's the "intended" way to play.

Anyway, there is basically no "art department". Jetrel is for all intents and purposes absent and has been for years. The problem with trying to sort out the current animation mess is that no one agrees exactly on what should be done. If you'd get to ask Jetrel, he'd presumably say that nothing needs changing. Then someone else would say that we just need more options, such as turning off standing but not flying animations. I would want to have an alternate animation mode without any sprite animation because it's the only way to reach completion. One doesn't fix anything, one doesn't fix everything, and one isn't liked by more than one person. Hard to actually get anywhere given the circumstances.

In any case, adding an option for toggling standing but not flying animations shouldn't be very hard to do, and would certainly be accepted seeing how almost no one seems to like the bobbing. You just need to add some new WML key for marking standing and/or flying animations as such, and then, I'd imagine, more or less imitate the current standing animations toggle code.