Chronological order of campaigns

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kartacha

Chronological order of campaigns

Post by kartacha »

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead but I am playing this game for my YouTube channel and I play the campaigns in chronological order. I really need to know where the last campaign that The Great Rings did not mention fits. I am talking about Dead Water. I think it may be just after Eastern Invasion and this is what the Timeline of Wesnoth suggests if I have read it correctly. Would you please be able to confirm if that is true?
The Great Rings wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:They're in no particular order in the list IIRC - tRoW is definitely the earliest, UtBS is definitely the latest (in mainline), but the others fall in between. NR and tHoT fall after HttT (which is somewhere in the middle), as does SotBE, SoF falls before it. Can't remember where DiD fits in. The others, I can't really recall at all.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. The campaigns' chronological order is clearly stated in the link SpenceLack provided, even if you have to read through a lot of other material to find them all. So to make it simple, here's the order of the mainline campaigns as determined by reading through the History page:

The Rise of Wesnoth
An Orcish Incursion
The Legend of Wesmere (ends after The Scepter of Fire)
The Scepter of Fire
A Tale of Two Brothers
Descent Into Darkness
Delfador's Memoirs
Liberty
Heir to the Throne
Northern Rebirth
The Hammer of Thursagan
The South Guard
Eastern Invasion
Dead Water
Son of the Black Eye
Under the Burning Suns

Edit: Though if the OP is a new player, I might advise that they consider not playing the campaigns in chronological order. Rise of Wesnoth is not a beginner campaign.

Second Edit: For some reason I missed Liberty. I have now added it.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Chronological order of campaigns

Post by Pentarctagon »

Split from here. When a thread is that old, you should really just start your own and reference the ancient one if it has useful information.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

EI and DW are roughly concurrent. DW supposedly begins a bit after EI begins, and ends about the same time.
From the DW epilogue:
kartacha

Post by kartacha »

So it happens at about the same time as Eastern Invasion but definitely after The South Guard and before the Son of the Black Eye. Thank you zookeeper

P.S.: Also, thank you for the note Pentarctagon. I was not sure how to act in this current situation as different forums have different unwritten rules and I am new to this one.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

kartacha wrote:So it happens at about the same time as Eastern Invasion but definitely after The South Guard and before the Son of the Black Eye. Thank you zookeeper

P.S.: Also, thank you for the note Pentarctagon. I was not sure how to act in this current situation as different forums have different unwritten rules and I am new to this one.
Also, on a semi-related note since you're playing through all the campaigns, over in Ideas there's this thread, if you have any thoughts on the topic.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

This sounds like a project that will take some time, so 1.14 might be out right around the time you finish making your playthrough obsolete almost immediately. I would suggest playing the beta version of 1.14 (currently 1.13.8). That will give you another mainline campaign, too called Secrets of the Ancients. It fits in between Legend of Wesmere and Scepter of Fire.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
kartacha

Post by kartacha »

Why would 1.14 make my playthrough obsolete? Also, I did not understand if there is a beta version of 1.14 or we are currently at 1.13 (as far as I remember it was 1.13).

I am currently playing 1.12. I finished The Rise of Wesnoth (the last mission was :x at least the first 2 tries). I released 13 (out of 18) episodes already and have recorded An Orcish Incursion too. So it is highly unlikely that I will drop my playthrough and wait for 1.14 (if it is not out). However, I can easily go to 1.13 and have this new campaign because it will just fit after Legend of Wesmere (which I am going to play next).

So, I would be glad if you help me here and provide some insights of what will change in 1.14.
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Also, I did not understand if there is a beta version of 1.14 or we are currently at 1.13 (as far as I remember it was 1.13).
Wesnoth 1.12.x is a stable version, 1.13.x development version. Development versions serve as alpha/beta/RC for next stable series. Most players use stable versions which usually contains less bugs. Development versions has new features but also may contain a lot of bugs and/or backwards compatibility breaking changes for UMC creators.
I hope that this clears some confusion (and does not create more :) ).
kartacha

Post by kartacha »

I see. That means that 1.13 is some kind of preparation for 1.14. But what is it that 1.14 have that will make my entire playthrough obsolete? If it is only he new campaign than I think I will be able to include this in the playthrough as I did not reach that part yet.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

kartacha wrote:But what is it that 1.14 have that will make my entire playthrough obsolete?
Reading through the changelog of the 1.13 releases, storywise the campaigns will stay pretty much the same in 1.14. But there are quite a few balancing tweaks, minor map changes and of course several new artworks and sprites to the campaigns, so the overall experience will probably change a little.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Yes, the 1.13 series is the preparation for 1.14, and 1.13.8 = 1.14.0 beta1. When I said "obsolete", I just meant that a lot of things will look different in your video than what people will see when they play in a couple months. What Bitron said is true, and some of the menus have been completely redesigned too. Also, UtBS has all new units. So, if it's supposed to be some sort of guide, it won't work as well as it could.

The development version is theoretically less stable, but most of the bugs that are left are minor and/or hard to find. I've been using it for a while, actually.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
kartacha

Post by kartacha »

As long as the 1.14's campaigns are the same storywise (with the exception of the new campaign) then I am fine with it. The game will feel different in a few months but so will any game I play eventually (of course if it keeps being updated).

I doubt that some balance fixes or some new artworks will be the reason for someone to fall in love with the game or hate it. I guess that if this is my subscribers' game then the new version will not change too much (especially when they watch and not play themselves).

However, I am glad that you notified me about this campaign as I would have missed it otherwise.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The 1.13.x releases are still pretty buggy in some ways, so excluding cases where you might want to specifically check out new stuff (such as SotA), I'd certainly suggest still sticking with 1.12 if you want a more stable and reliable experience.

It'd be nice if via YT playthroughs people saw some of the nice new things we have in 1.13, but then you also run the risk of showing off all sorts of unflattering bugs in addition to that. A lot of the new things are great, but they're really not going to make a big difference in how highly someone will think of the game.
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Well, Secrets of the Ancients is available for Wesnoth 1.12 as an add-on (on the official server). No sure if that version is the same as in Wesnoth 1.13, though.