Unicode Common Locale Data Repository

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GunChleoc
Translator

Unicode Common Locale Data Repository

Post by GunChleoc »

We had to implement our own custom translation of dates, because operating systems don't provide for all languages. There is an important database run by the Unicode Consortium for locale data called the Unicode Common Locale Data Repository, and I would like to encourage all translators to have a look. The data that you enter there will eventually find its way into operating systems, smart phones and programming libraries. The library that programmers can use if they don't want to rely on the operating system is called ICU, and it contains nifty Unicode functions in addition to the translations of names and units.

As a translator, this is how you get involved:

First, you need to get an account on their Survey Tool. Once they clear your account and they have started their submission period, you can vote for translations and add your own. There are a bunch of companies involved in the CLDR, so if you want a stronger vote, you can get vetted through them. Wikimedia is one of these companies, and if you're working on a minority language, this might be your way to get in and get things fixed up.

The CLDR has 2 data submission/update cycles each year. The current cycle is without data submission, so they won't open up their survey tool until May next year. It might be worth signing up now though, so you will get an e-mail when they open up again.
GunChleoc
Translator

Re: Unicode Common Locale Data Repository

Post by GunChleoc »

We don't have that much locale data in Wesnoth, but if you should ever happen upon a project where you have to translate a long list of language, country or currency names etc, check out this script: https://github.com/gunchleoc/ICU2po

I wrote this for myself because I wanted to save myself from some RSI due to excessive copy/pasting, so it comes without warranty or support etc. The script is less than perfect and you might need to do some more coding for your particular locale; I just thought I'd share.