Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Xellos

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Xellos »

Hi,
I have one more question. Did i miss something in battle of Ogira?
During first turn i cant unstore boots and gauntlets. Other items work fine.
EDIT:
Loading previous mission didnt help. Changing laptop was better. (Playing on windows 8.1 means that i cant unstore boots or gauntlets, playing on windows 7 - all works)

I also had problems with mission UMBRA(campaign against lilith)
enemy forces are too weak(5 elves and UMBRA and few undeads). They were anihilated before i could start fight by allied forces (only UMBRA survive). When during turn 3 or something like that UMBRA arrived... I had information that elves became stronger, but they were all destroyed by dwarfish berserkers

I also had problem with ARMY OF DARKNESS, ending turn means Victory. I simply automatically win this scenario.

Im surprised because when i played this campaign first time i didnt had any problems or errors.
Attachments
Armz_of_Darkness.gz
(519.85 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Umbra.gz
(502.17 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
boots_and_gauntlets.gz
(460.76 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
gauntlets.jpg
boots.jpg
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The bug is quite weird. I was able to replicate it in your save file. The items were not listed for unknown reasons, but they were there and were counted. Under some circumstances, they became the Glitch Item. The two items were newly added, in the latest version. If I started a new campaign and obtained these items, they worked perfectly. So it appears that it is a slight incompatibility between versions. It should eventually vanish, but I can't tell if it will persist until the end of campaign or not. However, it should affect only 5 item types out of 250, so it's not a big deal.
Xellos

Post by Xellos »

Thx for info. :)
These items worked for me perfectly for few scenarios. I even checked last turn in scenario before and they were still good (unit stood in castle).
But can you help me with army of darkness ?
Winning scenario without moving units is bad. :)

ps
sorry for all this problems. :)
Cart84

Post by Cart84 »

Hey, love the campaign! I think you've made the third level of Part 6, Into the Light, too hard with the new Regrowing trait though. The demons with this trait are regenerating 24 health every time you attack them, which means a Skeleton has to hit all its attacks in order to do a whole 3/100 damage to them, and even Efraim or Lethalia will need 3 hits to do any lasting damage. This isn't taking into account any other traits they might have to increase their resistances and make Regrowing demons even harder to damage. Maybe consider weakening or removing the Regrowing trait from this level?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@Xellos
Why are you not moving your units?

@Cart84
Okay, any unit that gets regrowing or slimy will lose the trait when recruited in that scenario from the next version on. I wanted to discuss this issue, but it was eventually forgotten. It appears that this new version has some huge bugs and will have to be updated relatively soon.
dabber

Post by dabber »

I haven't played part 6 in a while, and I'm posting this without checking, but I thought the first demons you ever meet (early in part 6) had no traits, ever. As I recall, that scenario is by far the most difficult in the campaign - almost no equipment, no AMLAs on Efraim and Lethalia, only newbie level 1 units and facing a bunch of level 5s.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

@Dugi
Xellos reported the bug that he wins when he ends the turn in "Army of Darkness", i believe he is refering to this bug when he writes that winning without moving is bad
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

In the Overpowered scenario, an "<Invalid WML found> [harm_unit] missing required [filter] tag" comes up on occasion. I don't see it on other scenarios that I can recall, so it may be the wolves in that scenario.
Attachments
LotI2-Overpowered-Auto-Save23.gz
Save game near the error
(662.2 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Running Wesnoth 1.12.4 on Mac OSX 10.10
Campaigns:
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

I can agree with some others' in that the new version is hard. A bit too hard now in my opinion. I got to the "The Desert" level, turn 4 and gave up. The game is just no longer fun for me. Many of the demons now do over 150 damage, can heal per attacker so that some units cannot damage them, have "distant attack" with powerful magical spells that can even rip apart the heroes. For example, 68 damage with 3 attacks that is magical, cold damage and slows now is not even uncommon. The same unit has a 37*5 arcane magical attack that drains. It is getting extremely difficult to keep units alive, even fully equipped with many advancements. I'm having to re-load many times and try different tactics which is taking the fun out of it. I've really liked this series but at this point, with the new version, I don't care to continue.
Campaigns:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@dabber
But they are very few in numbers. Now I reduced his gold a bit. Sorry that it's not in the last uploaded version, I have completely forgotten about that scenario.

@Konrad2
Thanks. Fixed it. Recently I have learned what causes that.

@arobinson
There was a bug in the soul annihilation weapon special. Fixed it.

@arobinson #2
It seems that I've overblown the difficulty. Can somebody else confirm it?
dabber

Post by dabber »

Not asking for overhauls yet, but I may agree with arobinson - I've had to reload multiple times. Yes, I'm the guy who has constantly asked to make HARD harder! :)
I urge you not to drop difficulty just yet - let's look a bit harder.

One likely conclusion is that I don't like shockwave demons. On paper, I thought it was a great idea to let demons break up super buff formations (ex. Legacy of Kings plus Tome of Bards plus other, all stacking). In practice it feels like a death sentence that I cannot mitigate. If there is a shockwave demon out there, I have to either run away or find a way to kill him or risk losing someone. Against that power, I cannot reliably protect someone that is vulnerable. I don't like having to look for a specific trait on everyone within sight; that is annoying. If shockwave only existed on one type of big demon (like demon despots or demon lords), it would be better, because then only a few demons have to be checked for it.

-----
I think there is an error in Basilica of Imperfection (9_47). There is a path to the edge of the map near x=2,y=21, but it never links to another scenario.
-----

By the way, and this has been true for a while, the AI in my game basically never attacks with leaders. Powerful demons sit in the middle of their keeps recruiting, but never attack anything more powerful than a zombie. What controls the AI settings, how can I tell what AI my saved game or scenarios are using, and how might I change it? Is there a convenient place on the wesnoth website to find that information? (I've spent several minutes looking, but what I found was too overwhelming to apply).
dabber

Post by dabber »

Sepulcher of the Nefarious has another error in the DEATH_LEGION macro. The size of each legion is controlled by a line {QUANTITY greater_than 7 10 12}. But the code counts down to that number, not up to it, so the legions are smaller on HARD than on EASY. It should be:
{QUANTITY greater_than 12 10 7}
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Okay, so there is a specific suggestion to move the shockwave trait to demon lords. It sounds reasonable to me. As you suggested, I have done no changes so far.

The AI is quite hard to play with, it is a custom AI that is available on wesnoth 1.13 and is being developed. It is used only by LotI as far as I know. There are still some things that need adjustment, obviously the leader behaviour - somebody reports that leaders attack headlessly, you are reporting that leaders almost never attack. I will contact mattsc about it.

Fixed that bug in Basilica of Imperfection and Sepulcher of the Nefarious.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Sepulcher of the Nefarious contains the line, "I have a feeling that there is something important inside we must not bar permanently from this world." I have never before figured out what that is supposed to mean. Now I understand it refers to Efraim closing the passage at that point. I suggest adding "Let us wait to seal this passage." to improve the context.

If you enter Sepulcher from Gathering Alcove (44), Efraim and Lethalia discuss the need to seal the portal to the dead. But if you get to Sepulcher from another location, they don't mention sealing off the land of the dead. I think you should add another discussion line. After Lethalia says "Maybe Uria opened it to resurrect demons in large numbers.", Efraim should say something like "Whatever the reason it exists, we should seal the portal."

In the event that actually changes the terrain, the first speaker is random unit that moved to the location. Random unit should not be saying "Come over here, I do not want to lock you inside." - that lines makes sense spoken by Efraim. Ideally, the event is triggered by any unit that moves there, event code moves Efraim to that location, he speaks, then moves everyone to him, then seals it.
I would add to the last line there as well. Instead of just saying "Perfect!", he should say something like "Perfect! That seals the dead where they belong."

Finally, after everyone is moved to outside the sealed off area, there needs to be a fog/shroud update. I could not even see all my units.
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

The hard parts were (1) the shockwave that disrupts defense (2) very high damaging cold spells that also slow and (3) the distant attack.

I'm wondering if the demons can get a damage penalty for every bonus they get. For example something like, -30% to damage if the attacks slows, -50% to number of attacks rounded down if distant attack. Something like this would prevent one demon from being over powered. It would possibly help to to have the demons look more differentiated based on their traits. For example, a blue-hue for cold damage demons.
Campaigns: