Rise of the Elementalist campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Great_Mage_Atari

Re: Rise of the Elementalist campaign

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Just started Protect the Guild again. Do the enemies seem really overpowered to anyone else (particularly the dwarves)? It would seem more relevant if the units recruited were more of Lv. 1s and less of Lv. 2s.
Bjartmarr

Post by Bjartmarr »

I just finished your re-written SotE; I like it even better than the first time around. Keep it up! I'm looking forward to Part 3.

Thanks!
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

For any fans that may be out there, here is a status update on campaign 3:

So far I have written 11 scenarios, 1 of which is a story. It has 5 new units and the story will not only involve what happens after Kil'rathacar has returned, but will also explain plot and background from both previous campaigns.

I still have probably somewhere in the vicinity of 5 scenarios to write (have the general plot in mind, but not the exact journey yet), and still need to make portraits for the new units. If it is the portraits hanging up the release, I'll release a beta without the portraits.

There will be a few elemental bug fixes, but at this time I'm just focused on campaign 3 and will get back to suggestions for campaigns 1 and 2 after 3 is done.

Sorry it is taking so long, but it is a lot of WML (I even threw out a whole map & scenario as after playing it for testing, I decided I didn't like how it was going), and I don't have as much time as I used to. Thanks for playing.
Running Wesnoth 1.12.4 on Mac OSX 10.10
Campaigns:
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Beta of the third and final campaign has been uploaded.

What this contains (Copied from the change log on the first post):
  • Beta version of the 3rd, and last installment of the series!
  • 16 new scenarios, 2 of which are story only
  • 5 new units
  • 19 custom tiles (mostly graphical)
  • Increased story compared to part 2
  • Over 6000 lines of WML!
  • Tweaks to the elemental balancing
  • Why this is still in beta:
    • New units do not have portraits
    • There are balancing issues (I found that too much gold accumulates)
    • Tested and run through, but not aggressively, so (non-fatal) bugs may be present
    • I did not check the dialog too closely, so there may be unintentional grammer and spelling mistakes
Please let me know what you think. This includes bugs, grammar mistakes that seem accidental (dwarven speech, elemental messages, etc. may have bad grammar on purpose), spelling and balancing suggestions.

I hope you enjoy it.
Campaigns:
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Okay version 4.0.0 uploaded, see the first post of this thread for the change log.

I am considering this campaign series now complete. Meaning, that I have started a new campaign targeted for Wesnoth 1.9 title "Legend of the Alluvian" and will be working on that one. This does not mean that I will not fix bugs, improve dialog, etc., but only by suggestions and bug reports on this thread, I am not planning on making any further enhancements at this time. In the future I may consider implementing different difficulty levels, but right now I don't have the motivation to balance different difficulties for all of the scenarios in all the campaigns (it would be a fairly significant undertaking).

Please let me know what you think and if you find any issues, or find any areas that balancing could be improved. If so, please be specific to help me out as I may be rusty on where some of the code is in all these scenarios after all this time.

Hope you all enjoy playing them and hope that campaign 3 is to all of your liking. Please let me know, I'd love to hear if the final campaign lived up to your expectations or not.

Thank you
Campaigns:
fenny

Post by fenny »

Hi, I'm playing now the third part of the campaign in wesnoth 1.8.2, and I'm now in the scenario, where you have to flood the cave, it's called "Flood" I think.
I was short of finishing the scenario by piling up the last stones, as I thought: wait a moment, this is without turn lilmit, I'm in control of the the three narrow pathways, and I have a good income, because I own all the southern villages. But my enemy has enough villages too, so won't stop recruiting. I am in a position now, where I can get endless money and experience, I don't think that was intended.
Attachments
Flood.png
Jaume

Post by Jaume »

fenny wrote:I am in a position now, where I can get endless money and experience
Not really.
Spoiler:
fenny

Post by fenny »

I have played this to the end now, and the flooding of the villages started soon after I closed the last opening. I was at turn 98 at the time and had more than 1500 gold. In the last scenario I tried to keep the new loyal units alive, not realizing it was the last scenario and didn't matter anymore.
But it's a very nice campaign, and I really love to play the elementalists.
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

fenny wrote:Hi, I'm playing now the third part of the campaign in wesnoth 1.8.2, and I'm now in the scenario, where you have to flood the cave, it's called "Flood" I think.
I was short of finishing the scenario by piling up the last stones, as I thought: wait a moment, this is without turn lilmit, I'm in control of the the three narrow pathways, and I have a good income, because I own all the southern villages. But my enemy has enough villages too, so won't stop recruiting. I am in a position now, where I can get endless money and experience, I don't think that was intended.
Thanks, I'll look at altering the map a bit to try to fix the bottleneck. I wanted it somewhat, but perhaps I blocked it off too much. I may also think about moving some of the villages south to prevent the income issue.
Campaigns:
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Anyone have any suggestions on a reasonable turn limit for the flood scenario (how long did it take you to finish that scenario)? I'll consider putting a turn limit on it.
Campaigns:
Jaume

Post by Jaume »

Hard to tell. I played the campaign only once, I think it took me 60 to 70 turns just to start flooding the cavern, but of course without a time limit I had no reason to hurry.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

I am playing the first section of the campaign, although i am enjoying it so far, there are a few problems.
- Balancing, especially the scenario where you first find the different elements and their stones.
- Elania doesn't start in the scenarios, you have to recall her.
-
Spoiler:

- A lot of the text in the start of levels needs checking, i can provide more detail if you want, but getting someone who is good at English might be an idea, in order to tighten up the start of each scenario, often words are missed from sentences.
However, i am really enjoying this so far! :)

EDIT:
Spoiler:
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Akkarin345 wrote:I am playing the first section of the campaign, although i am enjoying it so far, there are a few problems.
- Elania doesn't start in the scenarios, you have to recall her.
Others have reported this, but I cannot reproduce the issue. What Wesnoth version are you using? Everyone that has reported the problem has been using < 1.8.5, and that is why I state that 1.8.5 is the minimum version required. I have code that always recalls all of the loyal units, Elania being one of them and I ran through the entire campaign myself and always had her show up. If you are using 1.8.5 or above, could you send me one of your zipped save files that is saved after the issue?
Akkarin345 wrote: - Balancing, especially the scenario where you first find the different elements and their stones.
You are the first to mention such an issue. Could you be more specific on what is out of balance? Is it the gold, difficulty, etc.
Akkarin345 wrote:- A lot of the text in the start of levels needs checking, i can provide more detail if you want, but getting someone who is good at English might be an idea, in order to tighten up the start of each scenario, often words are missed from sentences.
I have read through all of the text, albeit fast. Note that non-human speech has been given poor grammar on purpose (for example, who would expect an earth elemental to speak unbroken English?). If you find dialog that is out of place for the race, please be specify on what the grammar, spelling error is.
Last edited by arobinson on October 5th, 2011, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Campaigns:
fenny

Post by fenny »

I played the Flood scenario again, as fast as possible this time. I had more casualties, but finished it on turn 56. The difficulty depends on what the enemy is recruiting, if he recruits a lot of fire units it's more difficult. I think a turn limit of 70 should be enough to win this without haste. You don't need to much units because of the narrow openings, so you can save and earn some money without an early finishing bonus.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

arobinson wrote:Others have reported this, but I cannot reproduce the issue. What Wesnoth version are you using? Everyone that has reported the problem has been using < 1.8.5, and that is why I state that 1.8.5 is the minimum version required. I have code that always recalls all of the loyal units, Elania being one of them and I ran through the entire campaign myself and always had her show up. If you are using 1.8.5 or above, could you send me one of your zipped save files that is saved after the issue?
1.8.6 :S
I would add the save file but my save folder in program files/wesnoth/userdata is empty... No idea where they have gone, i'm sure i said on installation to put the saves in program files...
arobinson wrote:You are the first to mention such an issue. Could you be more specific on what is out of balance? Is it the gold, difficulty, etc.
When you get to the stone and all of the elemental leaders appear, i found that i had to move back and kill the stone leader and let the elements finish off the dwarves. If i stayed on the main recuitment area i would get overrun on 4 sides. Unless your intention was for you, the leader, to move away and let the elements kill the dwarves?
arobinson wrote:I have read through all of the text, albeit fast. Note that non-human speech has been given poor grammar on purpose (for example, who would expect an earth elemental to speak unbroken English?). If you find dialog that is out of place for the race, please be specify on what the grammar, spelling error is.
I was referring to the first part of the campaign. I assumed the narrator was either Valin or someone unknown. If the narrator is meant to be an element, that we have yet to meet, then i don't remember this being implied at any point.

For example, in 'The Village' 'he came across some troop that had known once', i would say ' he came across some troops that he had known once ( or from his time in the village - once feels a bit loose in my opinion).

A few other things i noticed was that the undead army that was meant to coming from the South to attack the tower, when you return, doesn't appear? *Spoiler* When Elania also appears at the bottom, it is a nice story idea, but it felt odd that she appeared without any help, when she was supposed to be poisoned before. Could you also explain about where the poison dart came from?

The wisps might benefit from a small colour change between levels, so that it is easier to differentiate between them?

Just started the 2nd part though and it is good. ^^

EDIT: After you make your way to the surface in the 2nd campaign it is odd that after so many fights, you don't actually kill anyone in the next scenario even after that talking.