Rise of the Elementalist campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheEmptyLord

Re: Rise of the Elementalist campaign

Post by TheEmptyLord »

I finished Rise of the Elementalist today and it was great. My main problem was when I played Source of the Elementals. Fire and Stone went perfectly fine, but with wind it was almost impossible to level. I played the entire scenario 3 times before I finally did it, and only with an extreme amount of luck not getting hit by the dwarves that time.

This comes from the Wind elemental's range attack being swarm and having no way of healing yourself until you reach level two. What I would suggest is perhaps a patch of dirt or such maybe stuck into a cave all you could run and heal too or at the end of the bridge. If the wind elemental is down to just udner half hp it only hits 2-2 on the dwarf which is next to nothing. Sure it does 6-2 melee but the dwarf does 6-3, which takes it out of it's league.

I am now at the Troll capture level and I would say that a few variations in objectives would be nice. Good job!
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

TheEmptyLord wrote:I finished Rise of the Elementalist today and it was great. My main problem was when I played Source of the Elementals. Fire and Stone went perfectly fine, but with wind it was almost impossible to level. I played the entire scenario 3 times before I finally did it, and only with an extreme amount of luck not getting hit by the dwarves that time.

This comes from the Wind elemental's range attack being swarm and having no way of healing yourself until you reach level two. What I would suggest is perhaps a patch of dirt or such maybe stuck into a cave all you could run and heal too or at the end of the bridge. If the wind elemental is down to just udner half hp it only hits 2-2 on the dwarf which is next to nothing. Sure it does 6-2 melee but the dwarf does 6-3, which takes it out of it's league.

I am now at the Troll capture level and I would say that a few variations in objectives would be nice. Good job!
With the air elemental, what I did:
Spoiler:
I may end up re-doing the 1st scenario at some point to make it less hard than starting out with 1 level 1 unit, but I haven't figured out a good way of doing so with sticking to my plot/storyline yet that I like. Perhaps a glyph that if you stand on long enough the leader automatically levels and recruits helpers so leveling up by killing is not needed? But then if I do that, does that design get boring the 3rd time when you get to the air elemental?

Also any hits from anyone how I can keep the "recover" story in the 1st scenario going but less tedious of having to win with all 3 unit types?

BTW, if you thought it was long and tedious when you played it, try testing and developing it when I played that 1st scenario countless times to get it to work right :doh:
Running Wesnoth 1.12.4 on Mac OSX 10.10
Campaigns:
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

tr0ll wrote:also in the second last level multipart scenario i forgot to keep track of which turn the scene changed and my savegame limit was too low so i had to restart from the beginning. im curious why not break it into multiple scenarios?

the same problem appeared in the first scenario of SotE - it takes so many turns (189) my disk fills up with autosavegames. perhaps each sub-scenario it could be made with fewer enemies.
There is a setting in wesnoth to only keep a certain number of autosaves. I always have mine on (set to 10 on mine). It is in the General settings at the bottom.

As for why I didn't break it up, is that I thought that it would even be more tedious to finish one scenario, start another, very similar, and then again. I wanted to give more of a feeling that the 3 things were happening simultaneously. Perhaps I may even consider doing all three at the same time with 3 friendly sides? Will have to think about that.
Campaigns:
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

there are a lot of simple spelling errors and some grammar but i hesitate to take time to report them if you are still reworking the story.
Please feel free to post any spelling and grammar issues you find while playing. I proof read it myself, but do so quickly, and I do not know about others, but I find that I miss my own typos sometimes as I read what I think I wrote instead of seeing what I did actually write. They are very quick to fix, but not so great to find, so I don't mind even small bug reports here. Thanks.
Campaigns:
TheEmptyLord

Post by TheEmptyLord »

arobinson wrote:
With the air elemental, what I did:
Spoiler:
Yeah I am working on some things right now and understand how long that scenario would take to balance.

I tried the village my very first time, maybe it was just my rotten luck but I got too close to dying that way (was at about 10 hp where I hit practically nothing and had to retreat) and of course by the time you heal enough by sitting out of it to matter, they do too and you have to retry it. Thanks anyways
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

i played on normal i think. once the air elemental sat down in the village, i could leave it there to heal and level up as the dwarves attacked it. i used this trick for any level 0 whirlwind that got injured actually, until breaking through the fortification.
arobinson wrote:As for why I didn't break it up, is that I thought that it would even be more tedious to finish one scenario, start another, very similar, and then again. I wanted to give more of a feeling that the 3 things were happening simultaneously. Perhaps I may even consider doing all three at the same time with 3 friendly sides? Will have to think about that.
yes that would be cool! though of course that makes savegames (or doing things right the first time) 3 times as important. you would need some reason to avoid dialogue between the friendlies, or some foreshadowing dialogue. i remember trying to cross the lake with one of my fire wisps hoping to meet a water elemental :P before i found out later in the campaign they are enemies.
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

Hi-- I'm playing RotE 3.1.0 using BfW ver 1.8.5 on a windows machine.
I just finished "Consequences," and I noticed the following:

At the start of the scenario, Elania wasn't present, but Vallin's first speech sounds like she is supposed to be: "Elania, we cannot go around, it would take too long ...."

Perhaps you intended that she be recalled by the {RECALL_LOYALS}
However, in my case, she's not loyal; I have to recall her.

I'm enjoying the campaign so far; will post some comments when I'm further along.
Thanks for the good work.
--sneezy
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Sneezy wrote:Perhaps you intended that she be recalled by the {RECALL_LOYALS}
That is very odd, she is loyal. She is created with the {NO_UPKEEP} macro, which is defined as:

Code: Select all

#define NO_UPKEEP
    # Meant to be used as a suffix to a unit-generating macro call.
    # Use this when you don't want to use up a traits slot.
    [+unit]
        upkeep=loyal
        # It's questionable whether we should do this here...
        overlays="misc/loyal-icon.png"
    [/unit]
#enddef
And my {RECALL_LOYALS} uses the upkeep=loyal to find the units. I never had that issue during my testing.

If someone else can verify this let me know.
Campaigns:
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

Hmmm.... I have a save file from turn 21 in scenario Dwarven Diplomacy, and when I look at her definition in there, she indeed shows as: upkeep="loyal"

But the starting file for scenario Damage Control shows her as: upkeep="full"

It could be that something weird happened on my PC. I forced her to "loyal" and carried on from there. We'll see if anyone else reports this sort of behavior.
Thanks for checking on it.
--sneezy
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Heads up to any fans of the series. Development on part 3 has not been progressing as I have decided to do a complete re-write of campaign 2, source of the elementals, first. The motivation is to make the campaign more story driven and less fighting driven to hopefully make the campaign more fun.

I am currently on the re-writing of scenario 4 of 8 planned scenarios (2 story).

The new scenarios so far are all no victory on leader defeat so far, and a lot more WML involved that the first SotE campaign version.

I hope that the new version will be received well and even that those that played the first version will replay the 2nd version as it will be very different. If you do not replay it, the same basic story holds, so that will not be an issue, but the new one will have more background and a better plot.
Campaigns:
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

i really liked the story, characters, and mythology you developed in the 2 campaigns so far, so i look forward to the improved version. Be sure to let us know when testing or review is needed!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Hi-- I'm playing RotE 3.1.0 using BfW ver 1.8.5 on a windows machine.
I just finished "Consequences," and I noticed the following:

At the start of the scenario, Elania wasn't present, but Vallin's first speech sounds like she is supposed to be: "Elania, we cannot go around, it would take too long ...."

Perhaps you intended that she be recalled by the {RECALL_LOYALS}

I'm enjoying the campaign so far; will post some comments when I'm further along.
Thanks for the good work.
--sneezy
i have to report the same bug
elenia was on my recall list after dwarven diplomacy and was never loyal

also mountain esconce dont functionate
i chosed it for my elemental after leveling but it hadnt any effect on my units
or.. wait ... *deep thinking*
ah yes
the abelity apperead on the right side of window whenever i have moved the mouse over a unit nearly most part out of it
i will post a replay when i have finished the scenario

EDIT : mountain esconce does funcionate now however
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Mountain ensconce is working fine for me. Are you on a mountain terrain tile? I don't think that I have any pending updates to that skill that have not been uploaded yet. It should work the same as an elven ranger in the forest, it hides the elemental.

I'll have another look at Elania, no idea how she would become non-loyal, but I'll see if I can find it.
Campaigns:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

it just didnt funcionate on 1.8.3
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Version 3.5.0 has been uploaded. This is the full re-write to campaign 2. See the release notes in the first post for more information. I encourage all who have played campaign 2 to re-play it with the new version. Hopefully you will find it to be more fun.

I tested it, but not as much as in the past, so there may be some bugs and the balancing is not wonderful yet. Let me know of any problems you have and what you like or don't like vs. the previous version so that I can know what people like when working on campaign 3.

Sorry for the long wait, I honestly got burned out working on it and did not touch the code for several months. It was recent positive feedback that got me back in the mood, so thank you.
Campaigns: