1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.10 and 1.11 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

1.6.5 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server. I've now played through the P2 scenario 'Royal Rumble' (and realize I really need to update Huric's animations), so it should work up to that point. There was a bug that killed off Lorenzon going to the next world-map after that sccenario (a little discouraging that no one reported it, since it was a blocker), but it's now fixed.

I've also added some new traits, that only apply to the enemy orcs for now. It should help make the skirmishes less trivial, mostly later in the campaign.

There is some obsolete AI code in places, I think it still works in most places for now, but it generates error messages so I realize I need to replace it.
I haven't touched anything in Part 3.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi folks,

I've uploaded 1.6.6 to the BfW 1.12 server. I'm up to the start of the last scenario of Part 2, and as far as I can tell, things are now working up to that point. I've made some changes to the P2 scenario The Pit so that there should be less "cave-slog". I almost think it is too easy to catch up to Scarrion, I think I should possibly make it harder and more dramatic. But not today.

There are also some minor graphics updates, and fixes to the new orc units. But really, the most important change is that I've updated the add-on icon that players see on the server, using the image-path-functions, as is fashionable these days. So, the plain old icepack-1.png has joined my Members Only jacket and Ally McBeal VHS recordings to make room for a contrived red crescent moon, and now I just have to sit back and let the profits roll in. 8)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
quincy

Post by quincy »

I apologize if someone has already mentioned this, but I noticed something very odd in the scenario "Rescue", in part II. The northern ranger boss seems almost impossible to land a hit on. I tried with many units, and loaded the turn over and over again, but he came out unscathed, even though he had 40% terrain def. Also, I tried attacking with a red mage about 20 times, and more than half of them not a single hit landed. Is this a bug, or am I incredibly unlucky?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

quincy wrote:I apologize if someone has already mentioned this, but I noticed something very odd in the scenario "Rescue", in part II. The northern ranger boss seems almost impossible to land a hit on. I tried with many units, and loaded the turn over and over again, but he came out unscathed, even though he had 40% terrain def. Also, I tried attacking with a red mage about 20 times, and more than half of them not a single hit landed. Is this a bug, or am I incredibly unlucky?
Hi quincy,

Assuming you are using a BfW 1.10.x, it is neither a bug nor bad luck. It is a less-than-ideal scripting of events, to ensure that Carusoe doesn't die too soon (there is (was?) a similar thing done in mainline Descent into Darkness, with the protagonist's sister in one of the early scenarios). I modified it to be less blatantly "cheating" almost two years ago, but that was for the BfW 1.11/1.12 version. BfW 1.12 should come out soon, and BfW 1.10 shouldn't matter anymore. In the mean time, give up on trying to assassinate him for now. I think you need to let Raenna & the Archers show up before he can be hit.

If you are referring to the BfW 1.11/1.12 version, that is a bug, and not one that I encountered when I tested it. In that case, could you post a save-file?
osaridsaris

Post by osaridsaris »

possible bug.. or just something that makes things really hard
Spoiler:
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

osaridsaris wrote:n "Strange Salvation" Belleros goes from having a not-too-bad sized army a single scenario prior, to showing up on the Strange Salvation map with nobody..
That's a bug. I don't recall seeing that before, but I haven't tested that on a recent BfW version yet (though I'm working on it). Could you post a save-file? Thanks.
quincy

Post by quincy »

doofus-01 wrote:
quincy wrote:I apologize if someone has already mentioned this, but I noticed something very odd in the scenario "Rescue", in part II. The northern ranger boss seems almost impossible to land a hit on. I tried with many units, and loaded the turn over and over again, but he came out unscathed, even though he had 40% terrain def. Also, I tried attacking with a red mage about 20 times, and more than half of them not a single hit landed. Is this a bug, or am I incredibly unlucky?
Hi quincy,

Assuming you are using a BfW 1.10.x, it is neither a bug nor bad luck. It is a less-than-ideal scripting of events, to ensure that Carusoe doesn't die too soon (there is (was?) a similar thing done in mainline Descent into Darkness, with the protagonist's sister in one of the early scenarios). I modified it to be less blatantly "cheating" almost two years ago, but that was for the BfW 1.11/1.12 version. BfW 1.12 should come out soon, and BfW 1.10 shouldn't matter anymore. In the mean time, give up on trying to assassinate him for now. I think you need to let Raenna & the Archers show up before he can be hit.

If you are referring to the BfW 1.11/1.12 version, that is a bug, and not one that I encountered when I tested it. In that case, could you post a save-file?

I am using 1.10.x, but the archers already have shown up. And he has been hit, just not that much. Should I just wait longer before attacking him?
osaridsaris

Post by osaridsaris »

doofus-01 wrote:
osaridsaris wrote:n "Strange Salvation" Belleros goes from having a not-too-bad sized army a single scenario prior, to showing up on the Strange Salvation map with nobody..
That's a bug. I don't recall seeing that before, but I haven't tested that on a recent BfW version yet (though I'm working on it). Could you post a save-file? Thanks.
Attached three.. one for just before leaving the prior scenario, the next right before end of the prior scenario, and then right before re-appear in the Salvation scenario..
Attachments
BMR3-Strange_Salvation_justBeforeReappear.gz
just before reappear
(77.58 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
BMR3-Heavens_Gate_TeoraToast.gz
just before end
(103.58 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
BMR3-Heavens_Gate_AboutToDepart.gz
just before depart
(102.61 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

BfW 1.1.15 , normal diff. The second scenario, where you get archers is unbalanced. I came to fight with 200 gold against 2 enemies with 150 gold each and them having lawful units while there is no night on the map. :shock: How can you win without abusing S/L button?
Calling a spear a spoon and then saying "our spoons are different, WINR," is kind of unsatisfying, isn't it?
quincy

Post by quincy »

I was stuck on that too. Just fight some orcs out in the snow (random encounters, just wander around a little), and that will give you the gold you need. With only my leader, though, I could only do two encounters without dying.
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

quincy wrote:I was stuck on that too. Just fight some orcs out in the snow (random encounters, just wander around a little), and that will give you the gold you need. With only my leader, though, I could only do two encounters without dying.
huh? cant you.. well select march formation option , on world map, and recruit some moar units?
Calling a spear a spoon and then saying "our spoons are different, WINR," is kind of unsatisfying, isn't it?
quincy

Post by quincy »

I never noticed that :doh: . Thanks!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

osaridsaris:
Thanks for the files. I don't have a fix yet, but I at least have some idea what probably happened. The recall list was cleared because the side 1 leader (Belleros) was not live on the map at the end of the scenario with Teora. He should have been unstored at the end to prevent this, but there seems to be something malformed with his data. The game crashed when I tried to ":inspect" it.

wesnoth1_11_15: src/gui/widgets/grid.cpp:529: virtual void gui2::tgrid::place(const gui2::tpoint&, const gui2::tpoint&): Assertion `false' failed.
Aborted

----------------------------------------
Ranger: I think you and quincy answered your question. It probably is too hard without playing with the orcs a little, but it shouldn't require too much.

----------------------------------------
quincy:
quincy wrote:I am using 1.10.x, but the archers already have shown up. And he has been hit, just not that much. Should I just wait longer before attacking him?
Looking at the scenario's .cfg file, it seems you can't really hit him while turn number is less than 7.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Version 1.6.7 has been uploaded to BfW 1.12 server. I've played up to scenario Mt. Tien, so it should work well enough up to that point. I've made some changes:

- better event conditions in scenario Mirror Pond, it should be more intuitive now. There was also a bug in that freezing units at the end of scenario would be blue-tinted in subsequent scenarios.
- the time of day in skirmish scenarios should now be governed by whatever time-of-day it was on the worldmap, except for the Despair/Queen Astreya scenarios, which are always night.
- some minor balancing, dialogue revisions, and bugfixes which I didn't keep a change log for. But it should be better now.

I haven't gotten up to the point where osaridsaris had trouble, I hope to figure that out next time.
There are some changes to this that require updating Archaic Era and Archaic Resources as well.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.6.8 has been uploaded to BfW 1.12 server. I have played up to the last scenario, and everything should work up to that point. I added some new WML to the scenario Heaven's Gate, to try to deal with the problem osaridsaris reported. My play-through seemed to work OK, but I'm not sure I really fixed anything. If anyone runs into the same problem, please let me know.

There were also some other updates, requires updating dependencies. Also needs to be run with BfW 1.11.15 or newer.

There have been some updates to the enemy units, there have also been some updates to the later scenarios. I am going to try to make some (minor) story changes and additions, once this works on BfW 1.12, but I haven't gotten to that yet.