1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lynx

Re: 1.9/1.10 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by lynx »

Thanks, that was fast. :) Will the regeneration now work or would I have to patch the unit's WML?

I have an additional feature request since yesterday. The scenario where you come out of the cave and need to evacuate the civilians could also have an alternative "Kill all enemy leaders" objective. It's pretty boring to wait until the civilians reach the signpost in such cases. And maybe there could be a reward for it (besides the few turns of early finish bonus) from the cave orc, since you both saved him (again) and cleared the land for his clan.

The civilians are so slow on snow, that you practically have to kill everyone anyway, to ensure a safe passage. I sent them down immediately, with a few commando and canine guards, but the road was blocked immediately, so we had to cross the tajga. Apart from the first burst of wolves and the transition from the road, this was a very safe route. So the rest of the troops had nothing better to do than massacre the other enemies. I got lucky and killed the ghosts in the first turn they appeared, otherwise things could get messy fast (500 starting gold!), especially for our ally, had i picked a less grandiose style of play.

Oh and I'm pretty sure I saw the war dog use the torch in defense, so I'm happy.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

lynx wrote: And maybe there could be a reward for it (besides the few turns of early finish bonus) from the cave orc, since you both saved him (again) and cleared the land for his clan.
You're a better player than I am, saving him wasn't even on my radar. It would cause plot conflict to clear the land for his clan, so I will just need to make it not possible. Maybe making the ghosts stronger when they first show up, and making the wolf riders specifically target the civilians would make "defeat enemy leaders" (and save the cave orc) less likely.
lynx wrote: Will the regeneration now work or would I have to patch the unit's WML
I think the unit's WML will need to be modified, unfortunately. The error was that I neglected to put "value=4" in the [heals] block. It's probably been like that for years.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

I found some typos in part 1, scenario 5: "Bannish" should be "Banish" and "commrads" should be "comrades" in the lines spoken by the purple female. In addition, "I have given you all the knowledge" reads better as, "I have given you the knowledge".
Also, The Trial contains invalid markup in the initial dialog.

(This is version 1.3.0)
lynx

Post by lynx »

I'm playing on easy and am pretty experienced (former translator too ;)). Whatever you do, less likely does not mean nobody can repeat it. What you suggested may make it even easier, since there will potentially be a shorter route to the mounted goblin leader. The ghosts *could* toughen things up consideratly though, since they move very fast. I think this would encourage massacres even more — defending the civilian pack would get much more involved, especially if any enemy skirmishers are about, so I'm not sure it would be viable. The allied orc has so little gold in comparison, that one clan leader can take him out by himself. So maybe the whole concept is not so good.
To make it more of an evac/chase scenario, consider moving the mine mouth further down (or expanding the map appropriately) and then moving one of the clannies somewhere behind you and strengthening them, so you really will not consider a victory by extermination and will be strongly pushed to move out and break through. Now you're the one that is behind everyone, so there's not much choice in what to do.

Thanks, I hacked it into the save.

I also suggest changing "Hmmm.... Nope, I cannot read this. I've never seen this type of writing before..." to "Hmmm.... Nope, I cannot read this. I've never seen this type of writing before and I doubt even our witches have. Let's move on..." or something similar. Reading that book with a commando made me think I need to move a witch there to undecipher it (common in other campaigns), but nobody can read it, so there's no point.

And maybe notifying the player that Lorenzon is now a commander after defeating the tyrant (could be easily done in character). I didn't notice that until much later in the caves, where he was suddenly showing the leadership animation when a level 3 adjacent unit attacked. I was all "huh, let's see if I can reproduce this regression". :)

PS. I love Raenna's amlas! Too bad all the rest get only the normal. And that they are now all gone. :(

edit: finished the last scenario of the second campaign. I don't know if it was the fog, my outdated wesnoth (.2), campaign (the one before the latest) or something else, but the dialog sequence with hidden Vallnor (?) and the dark messiah were buggy. At times it looked like bad timing or that some sentences were skipped or out of order. :doh:
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, guys. I'll get those straightened out for next time.
lynx wrote:edit: finished the last scenario of the second campaign. I don't know if it was the fog, my outdated wesnoth (.2), campaign (the one before the latest) or something else, but the dialog sequence with hidden Vallnor (?) and the dark messiah were buggy. At times it looked like bad timing or that some sentences were skipped or out of order.
I think I might have left some debug code in 1.2.0. If the ghosts show up on turn 2 and some broken dialogue fires, that is what happened. It should be fixed in the last release.

The dark messiah doesn't have much dialogue, he is supposed to be hiding and gets found by a scout. The fade-to-black stuff is because I don't know how else to make the two tumble off camera. If that looks broken, I'm not sure what else to do. Maybe put them in a cartoon dust cloud.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
lynx

Post by lynx »

Ah, ok. Ignore this then.
hagabaka

Post by hagabaka »

doofus-01 wrote:
lynx wrote:The level 3 dogs can't attack with their torches. You simply get no choice when attacking.
That was intentional (doesn't mean it's good though). Something like "they have fire on their backs, so you get burned if you reach for them". They can't really swing the torch around. The default animation doesn't really show that. Maybe just a really short (1-10 ms) attack animation would be close enough.
So this attack can be only used in defense? In that case I think it should have a weapon special like "defense only". Even though it seems to be currently not implemented as a weapon special, just a dummy weapon special which shows up in the user interface would make the intended behavior clearer. I remember one of the addon eras already had a unit with a "defense only" weapon special though...
My favorite addon campaigns (made by others): Swamplings | Galuldur's First Journey | To Lands Unknown | The Devil's Flute
lynx

Post by lynx »

Some skirmishes give a wml error, that items don't have the required x/y defined (no line number, sorry). I checked some of the code and also noticed the
Spoiler:
. It should most probably use 100 instead of 0 to work.

You also package some *.bak files (editor backups?). If you have a script for submission, consider adding their removal to it, as they just increase the download size.

edit:
If it is possible, it would be nice to own the village a unit starts in in some skirmishes.

It is odd how sometimes when the enemy leader escapes in a skirmish, the battle is aborted. The odd part is that I can't figure out a pattern - it usually doesn't happen.

Belleros 2 is referred to as C_Belleros in scenario goals.

I got an ambush right when reaching The mountain. It had precedence over the scenario and when it was over, I was back at the start of the journey (where you last begin the worldmap travel).

Nice trick with the background in there! :) At the end it looks funny though, since some wolves come from the sky. I suggest you move their spawn point further down.

Next, in the pursuit, if the flying monster catches you, the get-to-the-cave scenario gives a wml error: [generator] not supported at top level
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

hagabaka wrote:So this attack can be only used in defense? In that case I think it should have a weapon special like "defense only".
Sure, I guess I could do something like that. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------
lynx wrote:Some skirmishes give a wml error, that items don't have the required x/y defined (no line number, sorry).
It happens when there are not enough available spaces to place the requested number of images. I thought I'd fixed it. I'm just going to remove those images, they are more trouble than they are worth.
lynx wrote:It should most probably use 100 instead of 0 to work.
I think making it 100 will make no resistance, positive or negative. The resistance values and the displayed percentages are not consistent.
lynx wrote:You also package some *.bak files (editor backups?). If you have a script for submission, consider adding their removal to it, as they just increase the download size.
Those are manual backups, they are a very small percent of the total download size and can make reverting changes easier for things I am unsure of.
lynx wrote:If it is possible, it would be nice to own the village a unit starts in in some skirmishes.
I hadn't noticed units starting on a village, but it should be possible to make them own it.
lynx wrote:It is odd how sometimes when the enemy leader escapes in a skirmish, the battle is aborted. The odd part is that I can't figure out a pattern - it usually doesn't happen.
Intermittent bugs... I'll probably just get rid of the leaders, there is no recruiting anyway.
lynx wrote:Nice trick with the background in there! :) At the end it looks funny though, since some wolves come from the sky. I suggest you move their spawn point further down.
Ah, yeah. They will be moved lower, out of the sky.
lynx wrote:Next, in the pursuit, if the flying monster catches you, the get-to-the-cave scenario gives a wml error: [generator] not supported at top level
The map generator WML seems to have changed a bit, and I don't have the time or energy to revise or maintain it. I removed it from the skirmishes, but that one scenario still has it. I don't think it causes any real bugs for now.

Thanks for the bug reports.
lynx

Post by lynx »

Consider using a revision control system (like the main wesnoth devs), it can help you a lot once you get comfortable.

You are right about the resistance, it is actually susceptibility:
[resistance]: describes how much damage the unit takes from different types of attacks. The attribute type=resistance makes the unit receive resistance percent of damage, or resist 100-resistance percent of damage from attacks with type=type. So for example, a resistance of fire=110 means, this unit will receive 110% of damage, or have a resistance of -10% as displayed in-game. A value of fire=0 would mean, the unit receives no damage and therefore has a resistance of 100%.
The map jumping is not new, you can cheat-travel by the same mechanism earlier. Travel out of the road, trigger an ambush and when you're done, all the others on the worldmap are still at their places, while you just moved. ;)

The next scenarios became tougher, it's is now harder to not need to sacrifice units. Oh, another small bug: when you need to reach the top of the map for the vulcano (Gate), the goal doesn't mention that it is Belleros that has to reach it. For trivial things like these, I can send you patches/diffs if you know how to apply them.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

2011 is going to be a great year because 1.3.1 just went to the server. Changes:

- You only get one move per turn on world map. I'm not totally sure how this plays out with the cavalry or riders on all scenarios, it may need to be adjusted.

- I was a little unclear on what was happening with the ai, the wiki says a lot of the code is being deprecated, so I tried to get it up to date. I think it all works.

- Some revisions to the last scenario. It may be too easy now.

- fixed starting position bug in skirmishes. This was responsible for the unit starting on a village. I also got rid of the enemy leader (or rather his canrecruit=yes attribute) in the blind hope that that will prevent the abort mentioned above.

- fixed most bugs mentioned above.

lynx wrote:Consider using a revision control system (like the main wesnoth devs), it can help you a lot once you get comfortable.
I'd consider using something like the umc-dev sourceforge thing, but I don't have home internet, so I don't think it would help much. Maybe some day.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.3 just went to the server. There are some bug-fixes and I redrew the map at the end of Part II & beginning of Part III.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.4 just went to the server. There were some minor bug-fixes to the worldmap/skirmish stuff and some graphics updates. Nothing that should require restarting a scenario.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.5 just went to the server. There were some fixes to the scenarios near the end.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.6 just went to the server. There were some small changes near the end, but the biggest change is that the recall list at the end of Part 2 is carried over to Part 3 (but only if you actually finish Part 2).

If you finished Part 2 recently and were thinking of starting Part 3, replay the BMR2-Epilogue dummy scenario for this carryover to take effect.

Of course, this completely changes the balancing, so I tried to correct for that in the first scenario. Not sure how it turned out...